Laws pertaining to regular Germans

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Knouterer

Re: Laws pertaining to regular Germans

Post by Knouterer » 12 Jan 2018, 11:12

BeeWac wrote:Today, the term "Nazi" is used to describe strict rules and conformity.
I don't think that is an adequate description of life in Nazi Germany. Corruption, arbitrary decisions and brutal abuse of power were widespread.

The rules were strict for some but not for others. I can't remember the name at the moment, but there was this unsavoury character who was arrested regularly for all kinds of petty crime, exploiting prostitutes, public drunkenness etc. etc. But whenever he was taken to the police station, he showed his NSDAP membership card, which had a very low number (14 or so, lower than Goering's I believe) and they let him go.
"The true spirit of conversation consists in building on another man's observation, not overturning it." Edward George Bulwer-Lytton

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 13 Jan 2018, 13:00

Knouterer wrote:Since 2013 people are in principle free to choose their chimney sweep and negotiate prices, but in practice it doesn't make much difference I believe.
In Austria since March 2015.
https://diepresse.com/home/wirtschaft/e ... fangkehrer
And you´re right, opening the possibility to choose didn´t make any difference. Foreign chimney sweeper are never seen here, but our locla one reguly twice a year.
Knouterer wrote: What people object to is all this obligatory but unnecessary cleaning. Even if you heat your house with oïl or gas, which produces no soot to speak of, the chimney sweep will come by twice a year to "clean" and present a nice bill.
He/she might try to clean but when the house owner says there is nothing to clean because I changed the heating system they will leave without cleaning and without a nice bill. Happened at my parents last year. They don´t have any right to enter your possession and to do a fake work to present a bill. Call the cops then when it´s otherwise. Or their guild. And I assure you it will stop immedialy!
Knouterer wrote: More often if you burn solid fuel. And I've heard of cases were a fireplace was bricked up but the chimney sweep insisted there should be an opening in the wall somewhere so he could get at the chimney and clean it. Again and again.
Read and follow the above.

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 13 Jan 2018, 13:23

Laws? I don´t know the specific laws but it´s easy to find out what was considered wrong/unproper behaviour behaviour under Nazi dictatorship. And what exactly caused the Gestapo to step in.
I don´t remember that I read that being drunk in public was ever an issue, combined with anti Hitler statements it caused you arresting, prison or even concentration camp. Listening foreign radio stations was also a crime. Same is valid for wearing NSDAP uniforms and/or badges (covered in Heimtückegesetz = perfidiousness/malice law). Prohibited contact with POW (eg. supporting them with food) was also not appreciated and caused you problems. To make a long story short, visit the website of the Documentation Centre of Austrian Resistance, choose the database for Gestapo victims and there "individual resistance". Read the informations about the specific reasons for the peoples arrest and further proceedings. They are in German but they are repeating themself very often and are easy translated with IMTranslator or any other online translator.
Or follow this link to get to the results:
http://www.doew.at/personensuche?category=3&gestapo=1

salmino

Post by salmino » 20 Apr 2019, 22:12

In practice the hereditary aspect did not carry much weight, some people were sterilized even though their deafness or other health problem had been caused by an accident.

Adam4adam TutuApp AppValley

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”