What was life like to Parisians while under German occupation?

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
2ndReichIsBestReich

What was life like to Parisians while under German occupation?

Post by 2ndReichIsBestReich » 18 Apr 2018, 20:21

Well, I have a pretty good understanding of the ruthless SS in the German occupied territories such as Danish Jutland, Benelux and the Soviet Ukraine S.S.R., but I'm wondering what it was like for the Parisians during German Occupation. I already realize that it would've been most likely like the other occupied places, but I'm also guessing that there would've been some difference in treatment because of the long time German-French disliking for each other.

DavidFrankenberg

Re: What was life like to Parisians while under German occupation?

Post by DavidFrankenberg » 20 Apr 2018, 16:20

It was not good to live in Paris for french people.
Paris was the biggest city of the country. During wartime it is always better to live in the countryside. You can have a vegetable garden and peasants could sell/give/exchqnge to you directly many food. If you were living in the city, it wd have been harder to find such food. You were depending 100% on ration systems which was not good at all.
Only people living in rural area with a good countryside didnt lack any food during wartime (ex : the south of France).
That's why Paris' population decreased a lot as soon as 1940.
For French Paris was not the place to be between 1940 and 1945.
Even after the war it was hard to find food till 1950.

Concerning the behavior of german soldiers, it was not known as 'evil', because german soldiers came to Paris in order to have fun and not ot make problems. The german money was so powerful that they could afford anything they want. Paris was seen like a summer camp good for having fun and relaxation. German soldiers were careful because they knew ther was no other such a good place for them at that time. There were many officers too in Paris, so the simple soldier could not behave badly without risking to be sent back to front.
For Germans Paris was the place to be between 1940 and 1944.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”