ADREMA Plates

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
razvedka

ADREMA Plates

Post by razvedka » 16 Feb 2006, 16:19

Hi,

I'm looking for information about a German company in Berlin, who made the famous ADREMA plates.

These plates were 10 on 4 cm thin metallic plates where adresses or other information could be "pressed" on. After that the plates were used as printing plates. Especially during the second World War, the system ADREMA (which stands for Adressenmachine, Address Machine) was used by many German companies for registering the forced labourers.

I am looking for any kind of information about the company (Berlin, now the ADREMA Hotel) as well as pictures of machines used during the Second World War !

Thanks,

Patrick

mcoxie

Re: ADREMA Plates

Post by mcoxie » 14 Aug 2018, 05:45

my father used to work for a company called Pitney Bowes as a computer and postage meter tech in 1959. they (Pitney Bowes) used to have some of these machines. they used them at the time to sell them to the fuel companies in our area. the fuel companies used these in our area to sell oil to it's customers. i used to actually play w/ their display model as a kid before i realized the history behind what they were for. it used to be that when they had to get parts for them the techs had to order the parts from Germany. my dad is in the hospital right now. however i am going to go and see him tomorrow. If he's up to it i'll talk to him some more and see if he remembers any more history on these.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 14 Aug 2018, 08:48

It's a 12 years old post, but here it is anyway.

Adrema Maschinenbau GmbH, Berlin NW 87
Gotzkowski Strasse 20

Application for US patent filed on February 7, 1938; by inventor Joseph Krell.
United States Patent US2212443 granted on August 20, 1940.

US2212443.jpg

hsa601

Post by hsa601 » 14 Aug 2018, 15:03

Looking at Google Earth this location is a Hotel now. Same name though.
adrema.png
adrema.png (458.63 KiB) Viewed 1188 times

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 14 Aug 2018, 17:12

Loads of pictures online if you search for Adrema machine.
The idea is still in use, like credit & bank cards and until a few years ago danish social security cards too although all of these were in plastic.

waleed

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”