Hitler and his Jewish Sweetheart

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
wm

Hitler and his Jewish Sweetheart

Post by wm » 11 Nov 2018, 12:46

Rosa Bernile Nienau I.jpeg
"The dear and considerate Rosa Nienau Adolf Hitler Munich, the 16th June 1933:"
Rosa Bernile Nienau II.jpeg

The photograph shows Hitler and Nienau, then about five or six, at the Berghof and both celebrating their common birthday of April 20th. Hoffmann took a number of photos that day showing Hitler with the young girl, and they became favorites of Hitler, Hoffmann, and the German public. This signed photograph has been further embellished with the addition of nine edelweiss flowers and a four-leaf clover which were applied to the photo by the young girl. [...]

ROSA BERNILE NIENAU (1926–1943), called “Bernile” and “Rosa” by Hitler, became known as "the Führer's child" or “sweetheart” because of her close contact with Adolf Hitler. Soon after their introduction, it was discovered that the girl was one-quarter Jewish, yet Hitler refused to sever his relationship with her until years later.
An only child, Bernile’s father, physician Bernhard Nienau (1887-1926) died shortly before she was born. Her mother Karoline (b. Helwig) (1892-1962) was a nurse and moved to Munich around 1928 along with her mother, Ida Voit, who widowed or divorced Helwig, b. Morgenstern (1867-1942). Thus, young Bernile was one-quarter Jewish, and therefore “Jewish” under German racial laws.
In the spring of 1933, Bernile joined a group of visitors celebrating Hitler’s birthday at the Obersalzberg and she was chosen to have a personal visit with the Fuhrer, probably because of their identical birthdays. She quickly developed a close and warm friendship with her “Uncle Hitler” which lasted until 1938. Indeed, the Bundesarchive retains 17 letters from her to Hitler and aide Wilhelm Bruckner between 1935 and 1938. Research shows that even early on, Hitler became aware of the girl’s Jewish heritage but chose to ignore it, either for personal or propaganda reasons.

Geoff Walden

Re: Hitler and his Jewish Sweetheart

Post by Geoff Walden » 11 Nov 2018, 20:57

Thanks for posting, wm - I did not know that this collection had gone to auction.

For what it's worth, on her grave marker her name is "Berni" (no Bernile or Rosa) ... supposedly short for Bernhardine, after her father. I was never able to find a copy of her birth or death records to see what version of the name appears there. Although I do believe such records exist, and would be very interesting to see.

Geoff
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

wm

Post by wm » 12 Nov 2018, 02:59

It should be mentioned she wasn't a Jew but a Mischling of the second degree.

German Mischling weren't classified as Jews and were spared.
Non-German Mischlings were classified as Jews and all killed.

DavidFrankenberg

Post by DavidFrankenberg » 28 Nov 2018, 02:02

Yep.
She was not a jew since she had "only" 1 grand-parent who was jewish indeed.

wm

Post by wm » 28 Nov 2018, 12:49

Sold!

$11,000

Sarge3525

Post by Sarge3525 » 01 Dec 2018, 23:44

wm wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 02:59
This statement made me interested about the Nuremberg laws and I found interesting things.
So this statement isn't actually true.

The Nurember laws decreed that Jews were those with 3 Jewish grandparents.
Those with 2 Jewish grandparents or 1 Jewish grandparents were respectively "mischling" grade 1 or grade 2.
Both Mischlings could be Reich citizens, Mischling grade 1 were fully German, they just were scrutinised more as to who they could marry, etc.

Its also interesting that the Nuremberg laws totally disregard Jewish religious law of matrilineal descent, whereas a child with a Jewish grandmother could potentially be considered a full Jew.

This is ironic, because it means a Jew considered a full Jew in the Jewish community, could be considered a full German and not a Jew (mischling grade 2) and Reich citizen.

Also interesting is that some Mischling grade 1 reached very high positions in the Reich.
Erhard Milch comes to mind (Jewish father).

Altogether I learned that Nazi Germany was much more tolerant of its Jews than I had imagined.

As to Hitler's relationship with this girl, I find it very confusing if we are to believe the official view of Hitler (at least mine) in which he is a rabid antisemite who would literally pull out his pistol if he saw a Jew. It means his views were more complex than it seems. Maybe after all his antisemitism was more of a political tactic than personal beliefs?After all, being an antisemite in 1920 Germany gained political points with the masses.

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 02 Dec 2018, 10:32

wm wrote:

So, a Russian who was one-quarter Jewish would be killed by the Nazis? If so, I'm certainly glad that I myself live in a different time and in a different place than Nazi Germany.

BTW, why did this girl die young? Was she killed in an Allied air raid?

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 02 Dec 2018, 10:36

Sarge3525 wrote:
01 Dec 2018, 23:44
wm wrote:
This statement made me interested about the Nuremberg laws and I found interesting things.
So this statement isn't actually true.

The Nurember laws decreed that Jews were those with 3 Jewish grandparents.
Those with 2 Jewish grandparents or 1 Jewish grandparents were respectively "mischling" grade 1 or grade 2.
Both Mischlings could be Reich citizens, Mischling grade 1 were fully German, they just were scrutinised more as to who they could marry, etc.
It makes you wonder, doesn't it? After all, one would think that, from a Nazi perspective, simply prohibiting Jews from having sex with and marrying other Jews would have solved the "Jewish question." There was no need for expulsions or worse considering that one could simply force Jews to marry and have children with Germans if they are to do this at all. That would have significantly diluted the Jewish ancestry of the descendants of these Jews.
Its also interesting that the Nuremberg laws totally disregard Jewish religious law of matrilineal descent, whereas a child with a Jewish grandmother could potentially be considered a full Jew.

This is ironic, because it means a Jew considered a full Jew in the Jewish community, could be considered a full German and not a Jew (mischling grade 2) and Reich citizen.

Also interesting is that some Mischling grade 1 reached very high positions in the Reich.
Erhard Milch comes to mind (Jewish father).

Altogether I learned that Nazi Germany was much more tolerant of its Jews than I had imagined.
It's ironic that the Nazi view of who is a Jew was fairer than the traditional Jewish view of who is a Jew.
As to Hitler's relationship with this girl, I find it very confusing if we are to believe the official view of Hitler (at least mine) in which he is a rabid antisemite who would literally pull out his pistol if he saw a Jew. It means his views were more complex than it seems. Maybe after all his antisemitism was more of a political tactic than personal beliefs?After all, being an antisemite in 1920 Germany gained political points with the masses.
Someone who merely becomes an anti-Semite in order to score political points certainly wouldn't have supported the Holocaust.

Sejanus

Post by Sejanus » 02 Dec 2018, 12:45

Sarge3525 wrote:
01 Dec 2018, 23:44
I doubt that Hitler was aware of the girl's background to the degree of knowing her complete racial history. If Hitler had known then perhaps she would not have been allowed contact with him? She looked completely Aryan which proves the nonsense of Nazi racial findings that were so based on appearance. And the idea of Hitler using antisemitism as merely a political tactic runs completely counter to the reality of the times; even to his dying day in the Berlin Bunker Hitler professed his virulent antisemitism (in his Political Testament) when doing so was of zero political value to his people.

wm

Post by wm » 05 Jan 2019, 23:03

There were lots of political value - only "the Jewish hand behind it" (in reality his own political and military mistakes/miscalculations) explained convincingly to the Germans why Germany had to fight so many an so diverse opponents at the same time.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 06 Jan 2019, 23:39

Futurist wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 10:32
I had thought this question was answered already, but I don't see it in this thread today.
Berni Nienau died of spinal polio.

headwest

Post by headwest » 09 Jan 2019, 19:04

i was curious where she is buried? I wonder if Hitler was ever informed of her death? i guess by that time the war consumed him and she was a long time ago

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 10 Jan 2019, 00:12

Berni Nienau is buried with her family in the Westfriedhof in Munich.

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 10 Jan 2019, 03:14

Geoff Walden wrote:
06 Jan 2019, 23:39
Futurist wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 10:32
I had thought this question was answered already, but I don't see it in this thread today.
Berni Nienau died of spinal polio.
Thanks!

BTW, that sounds terrible. :(

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 12 Jan 2019, 12:08

Hi Guys,

This thread seems to be using entirely Nazi reference points for defining whether she was Jewish.

What about from the then Jewish point of view? As I understand it, Jewish identity comes down the female line.

Cheers,

Sid.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”