Life in Post War Nazi-Occupied countries

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
johnlawe

Life in Post War Nazi-Occupied countries

Post by johnlawe » 17 Jan 2019, 16:26

I know someone whose late father was Dutch. He came to England soon after the WWII and the reason was, this lady I know tells me, that his wife, her mum that was, German. This lady claims that her parents were legally banished from the Nederlands for this reason (alone) and therefore ended up in UK. Now I have some difficulty believing this story.

If her father was accused or even suspected of collaboration, he would have been tried there and then in Holland. Can any civilised country would banish a citizen and tell them to go wherever you like? In this case, "your wife is German, we hate Nazis, therefore we revoke your citizenship?" In turn would UK immigration say "so you were banished from Holland and nowhere to go? You came to the right place"?

My suspicion is that post war Holland was not in the state that young people want to start a new life in, and I can also imagine that having a German wife incurred strong animosity, if found out, from neighbours, so, her parents willingly immigrated to UK.

If anybody knows a lot about the atmosphere or legal stipulation in immediate post war Holland, please enlighten me.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”