20th July Plotters- where were they held prior to execution

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
luftk

20th July Plotters- where were they held prior to execution

Post by luftk » 01 Jan 2016, 22:17

In particular I wondered where Erwin von Witzleben was held from his arrest on 21.07.1944 to his trial on 07.08.1944. Would it have been in Gestapo Headquarters on Prinz-Albrecht-Strasse or maybe in Plötzensee Prison?

I've searched the forum but could not find the answer.

Many thanks

tonyminx

Re: 20th July Plotters- where were they held prior to execution

Post by tonyminx » 30 Jul 2021, 05:14

Gestapo Headquarters on Prinz-Albrecht-Strasse !They had tortured him with thorn screws, Spanish boots, and stretching board. He had lost 30 pounds while in custody.

steve248

Post by steve248 » 02 Aug 2021, 12:34

I very much doubt whether Erwin von Witzleben was tortured. For the simple reason he had nothing to tell them as he was just a part of the military clique involved who were also arrested or shot like Stauffenberg.

The short-lived investigation into the military side was under SS-Oberf. Georg Klein:
21 July 1944, the days after the explosion at Wolfsschanze, Amtschef RSHA IV immediately set up a Sonderkommission 20.Juli.
SS-Obf und Oberst der Polizei Klein - Leiter, 10.Gruppe: Feldmarschälle und hohe militärische Ränge

Klein was posted elsewhere in Sept 1944 and Gruppe 10 dissolved. Why? - the small number of Field Marshals and senior military officers involved.

VanillaNuns

Post by VanillaNuns » 02 Aug 2021, 13:23

Similar to what Steve says above, I don't know if many of the conspirators were actually tortured.

For sure, they were humiliated and probably endured many unpleasant hours of intense interrogation. Their families were threatened with execution or imprisonment.

This might have been enough motivation for most of the conspirators to confess and provide the names of others. Desperate people will do whatever it takes to save their loved ones.

The evidence against some was found in the form of letters, diaries and documents in their possession.

Others were arrested in situ at the Benderblock on the evening of 20 July.

An example here from Peter Yorck von Wartenburg who was both arrested at the Benderblock and then found to have written this:

If we imagine that we are something like an elite, or that we have a leadership role, then we have failed, namely towards the common man, the worker, because otherwise the Third Reich should not have happened. We have a debt to make up for the German workers, so we have to get rid of this regime.

What more evidence was needed? His presence at the scene and his own words condemned him. Torture was unecessary.

Field Marshal von Witzleben, Hoeper, and the others all look to be in reasonably good physical health at their trials.

In answer to the original question, this letter below was written by the aforementioned Peter Yorck von Wartenburg to his family:

Dearly beloved child of my heart, we are probably standing at the end of our beautiful and rich life together. Because tomorrow the People's Court intends to stand in judgment on me and others. I hear that we have been expelled from the army. They can take the uniform from us, but not the spirit in which we acted. And in that I feel united our fathers and brothers and comrades. The fact that God ordained what has happened is part of his fathomless decrees, which I humbly accept. I believe myself to be pure in heart, yet driven by the feeling of guilt that weighs on all of us. I therefore confidently hope that I find a merciful judge in God.
It is written and signed 7 August 1944 in Plötzensee Prison, the evening before his trial.

Would it be reasonable to assume all the defendants would be held together in the same prison?

tonyminx

Post by tonyminx » 03 Aug 2021, 10:57

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 05 Aug 2021, 04:11

According to a notice board in the grounds of the former Zellengefängnis Lehrter Straße, the conspirators were held there. Exberliner gives a figure of sixteen in that prison:
https://www.exberliner.com/moabit%E2%80 ... st-wanted/
Attachments
Moabit 4.jpg
Moabit 4.jpg (24.97 KiB) Viewed 1049 times
Kein Irrtum ist so groß, der nicht seinen Zuhörer hat.

andrek

Post by andrek » 05 Aug 2021, 13:13

tonyminx wrote:
30 Jul 2021, 05:14
Gestapo Headquarters on Prinz-Albrecht-Strasse !They had tortured him with thorn screws, Spanish boots, and stretching board. He had lost 30 pounds while in custody.
CAn you please give two or three reliable sources for your post. Thanks.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 05 Aug 2021, 13:39

Simply horrible, this disrespect for the victims of that time is simply unspeakable.

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”