Who Owns Karinhalle?

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Irisch

Who Owns Karinhalle?

Post by Irisch » 22 Oct 2006, 19:01

I hope this is the right forum for my question; if not, pardon the error of a new member.

A question -- in the aftermath of Nuremberg, did Reichsmarshall Goering's wife own the land on which Karinhalle had stood, and if so, did it pass to Edda, and is it still in the family or was it expropriated by some entity for some reason?

And do you know the current owner and/or the uses to which the land has been put on which his hunting lodge stood?

BDMhistorian

Post by BDMhistorian » 23 Oct 2006, 06:53

During the time that the Carinhalle estate was part of the DDR, the area was closed off to the public. I'm not sure what, if anything, it was used for during that time. I believe I read that parts of the area were used for hunting, but don't hold me to that. After the reunification of Germany, it became a nature preserve, which is what it still is today. The former bunker, which was unearthed in the mid-90s still full of artifacts, is now a bat habitat.

The Hidden Places website has some pictures of Carinhall now - http://www.hidden-places.de/hp/index.cf ... obj_id=723 . There is relatively little left aside from the large gate on the road leading up to the estate and the misspelled "Karinhalle" marker.

Hexar

Post by Hexar » 23 Oct 2006, 10:02

I'd like to hear more about the artifacts found in the bunker unearthed in the 90's. Do you have any more info BDM, or could you direct me to a link or thread about it?
Thanks, Hexar

Auseklis

Post by Auseklis » 23 Oct 2006, 14:24

I took a rusty radiator-rip as souvenir. But I've seen on tv that some guys found remnants of cars of Hermanns toy-railroad. I think that might be the best items to be found there.

BDMhistorian

Post by BDMhistorian » 23 Oct 2006, 16:43

Hexar - If you read German, Schatzsucher.de has an article about Claus Funke who found and unearthed the bunker and artefacts inside, along with photos of him with the artefacts and two articles from local newspapers about them. At http://www.schatzsucher.de/index.php?op ... Itemid=170 You might be disappointed to find that they were mostly (smashed) art treasures such as statues and pottery items.

Wotan2

Post by Wotan2 » 23 Oct 2006, 22:38

In 2004 I found:

A piece of marble; a stone plate with an "E" in one corner (artefact from the doll kitchen of the "Edda Schlösschen"), a lock of a chest and some porcelain pieces - but no rusted Grand Cross of the Iron cross!

Hexar

Post by Hexar » 24 Oct 2006, 11:12

BDM, when you said "artifact", I guess I assumed "treasure". :( Thanks for the link. Hexar

BDMhistorian

Post by BDMhistorian » 24 Oct 2006, 11:20

Sorry to disappoint. I suppose from the view of the museum(s ?) who received these artifacts, they are indeed treasures, though.

Moltke44

Post by Moltke44 » 15 Nov 2006, 00:31

Actually when you said artifact, that's just what I though. Pieces of history, amazing that some of you actually got things from there. Maybe I'm just too much of a historical minded person, but those kinds of things are treasure to me. Those toy trains items would be a fantastic find, although pretty much anything from there would excite me. I'm still dying to find a way to get a piece of the small parts of rubble left from the Tannenberg memorial in former Prussia. Maybe some day...

It's mentioned there is some kind of preserve there now, but can people still go and see the grounds?

Thanks for the links all.

BDMhistorian

Post by BDMhistorian » 15 Nov 2006, 23:57

It's mentioned there is some kind of preserve there now, but can people still go and see the grounds?
It's a nature preserve, but as far as I'm aware you can go there. The bunkers mentioned in the article on that site were turned into an area for bats - the front was filled in and circular tubes allow bats to get in and out. There are warning signs around those - I would assume to keep visitors from stuffing things into the tubes or otherwise bothering the bats. Aside from that, you should be able to walk around the area and enjoy the landscape.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”