Question about a picture in Paris, June 1940

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
kalsby

Question about a picture in Paris, June 1940

Postby kalsby » 31 Oct 2006 17:49

Hello.

I have a question about this well know picture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Fren ... _1940.JPEG

As you can read in the description, the caption of this photograph is "A Frenchman weeps as German soldiers march into the French capital, Paris, on June 14, 1940, after the Allied armies have been driven back across France".

In another forum a friend of mine has told me that he doesn't believe that, because the woman on the left is applauding (my answer: when you're in front of a conqueror army, you must applaud, like it or not :) ) . He thinks this photograph was taken during a burial.

Besides, I've found this link:

http://www.nandotimes.com/nt/images/cen ... y0251.html

in which it can be readed "Feb. 19, 1941, in Marseilles"

I think the answer is "Paris, June 14, 1940", but I'm confused: when and where was really taken this photograph? Does somebody have more information?

Loïc

Postby Loïc » 01 Nov 2006 17:50

Marseille 1941, they saw French soldiers carrying the flags of disbanded Regiments to the port in order to send them in North Africa

simondodkins

Postby simondodkins » 01 Nov 2006 18:50

I'd say the photo was not taken in Paris in June because the woman to the left of the central male figure crying is wearing a warm coat. So is the woman next to her. The woman over his right shoulder also has warm clothing on.

Paris in June is hot. Marseille in June is hotter still. I would say if the photo was taken in either location in the summer, the people in the photo would be in shirts and blouses without overcoats.

If I were to guess, purely from what they are wearing and how European weather trends go, this photo was taken either in the spring or late autumn. It would fit Marseille in February, but not Paris in June, or Marseille in June come to that!

Cheers,

Simon.

Yuri

Postby Yuri » 01 Nov 2006 22:33

simondodkins wrote:I'd say the photo was not taken in Paris in June because the woman to the left of the central male figure crying is wearing a warm coat. So is the woman next to her. The woman over his right shoulder also has warm clothing on.

Paris in June is hot. Marseille in June is hotter still. I would say if the photo was taken in either location in the summer, the people in the photo would be in shirts and blouses without overcoats.

If I were to guess, purely from what they are wearing and how European weather trends go, this photo was taken either in the spring or late autumn. It would fit Marseille in February, but not Paris in June, or Marseille in June come to that!

Cheers,

Simon.

Perfectly! You the present Sherlok Holmes!

Loïc

Postby Loïc » 02 Nov 2006 01:07

yes and an Historian would add too that the people of Paris the 14th june 1940 didn't wait the Wehrmacht in the streets of their town :roll: especially with the Exode for 3/4 of them and for the others :
vendredi 14 juin 1940,
8h30 : les occupants de voitures allemandes munies de hauts parleurs invitent les personnes à rester chez elles pendant 48 heures lors du passage des troupes allemandes

of course it was taken in Marseille early 1941, I have a newspaper of 1941 with this picture and a second with the French soldiers carrying the regimental flags.

Eckart

Postby Eckart » 02 Nov 2006 13:39

Hello, Loic. Thank you very much for the info. Could you scan and post the picture of the flags?

Un saludo.

simondodkins

Postby simondodkins » 22 Nov 2006 12:50

Yuri wrote:
Perfectly! You the present Sherlok Holmes!

Elementary my dear Watson

Loïc

Postby Loïc » 22 Nov 2006 17:29

due to the size you have 2/3 of the page
Front page (30th March 1941)
Les Drapeaux des Régiments dissous partent pour l'Afrique
Un Français pleure
voir page 2

page 2
Les Drapeaux s'en vont, un Français pleure...
Notre couverture représente une scéne photographiée au cours d'une emouvante cérémonie qui a eu lieu récemment à Marseille*. Les Drapeaux des Régiments dissous aprés l'Armistice s'embarquent pour l'Afrique du Nord.
La foule assiste à leur défilé, muette et bouleversée de tristesse patriotique et de ferveur.
Un homme pleure à chaudes larmes et la femme qui se trouve à sa droite ne peut contenir, elle aussi, son émotion

* the 20th February 1941

StephanieSklar

Pic

Postby StephanieSklar » 23 Nov 2006 02:20

Wow!

Why is the wrong capture under the wiki pic then?

edit: oops, I am a natural blonde! :lol:

I didn't check to see if the wiki pic was still there!

Doh! :P

Vikki
Forum Staff

Re: Pic

Postby Vikki » 23 Nov 2006 07:47

StephanieSklar wrote:Wow!

Why is the wrong capture under the wiki pic then?

For the same reason as the highly variable quality of that site's information.

~Vikki

StephanieSklar

Postby StephanieSklar » 24 Nov 2006 12:06

True.

I wish that there was a site similar to wikipedia where the info is not written by any Joe or Jane w/access to the internet... I mean their original concept was good, but it does present some slant and some bogus info on all subjects.I've corrected tons of page about Quebec and Nova Francia history, only to have seen some info erased or "politiced".

Moltke44

Hmmm..

Postby Moltke44 » 25 Nov 2006 03:09

Hmmm, very interested! As for wiki and 'politiced' yeah it's almost impossible for anything not to be touched by the long arm of political influence. There is always someone you have to avoid offending or someone who's credit is in question or something. Never ends!

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”