What great mysteries of WWII

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Graham Clayton

Re: What great mysteries of WWII

Post by Graham Clayton » 01 Oct 2009, 13:14

What happened to the "Amber Room" near St Petersburg in the last days of the war?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amber_Room
"Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, in land, and in the air." - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder.

flatus antiquatus

Post by flatus antiquatus » 03 Feb 2010, 19:59

What are the REAL ingredients in spam? :lol:

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 05 Feb 2010, 19:54

What are the REAL ingredients in spam?
...Would you love to have answered before you die?
The secret to a long and happy life is possibly NOT knowing... :lol:

ladycplum

Post by ladycplum » 12 May 2011, 03:13

Just thought of one...how in the world did people like Naujocks, Sepp Dietrich, Schellenberg, Kesselring, and several others who were pretty heavily implicated in more of the mroe unsavory crimes during the war, get off so comparatively light?
"The more I see, the more I know. The more I know, the less I understand"-Paul Weller

South

Post by South » 12 May 2011, 09:42

Good morning Lady C. Plum,

Re: "...how in the world did...";

In reply; because there were benefits to the political bloc(s) allowing the situation.

Goggle "Toyo Ishii", the nurse who went public on Imperial Japan's Unit 731 experiments in Tokyo (not Manchuria, China; Tokyo!). There were reports that some American scientists studied some of the experiments conducted by Unit 731. Good, bad or indifferent, there were benefits to various Allied political blocs to keep this matter quiet. This is not even addressing the Japanese response. I know too little about Japan's Democratic Party (believe comprised of a leadersip not identified with the war against the Allies) and how the matter was "resolved".

Also, ...;

Kurt Waldheim became UN Secretary General because of benefits to the various factions who get a voice in who gets this job. Can anyone believe the Great Powers thought he was in law school during WWII and not serving as an Ordnance Officer with the Wehrmach ?! (Operation Kozara, etc).

Thus, the summary to my reply: if there are benefits, based on trade-offs, certain events will occur. It's not like passing white light through a prism and expecting a certain result.

Warm regards,

Bob

ladycplum

Post by ladycplum » 12 May 2011, 16:38

South wrote:Good morning Lady C. Plum,

Re: "...how in the world did...";

In reply; because there were benefits to the political bloc(s) allowing the situation.

Goggle "Toyo Ishii", the nurse who went public on Imperial Japan's Unit 731 experiments in Tokyo (not Manchuria, China; Tokyo!). There were reports that some American scientists studied some of the experiments conducted by Unit 731. Good, bad or indifferent, there were benefits to various Allied political blocs to keep this matter quiet. This is not even addressing the Japanese response. I know too little about Japan's Democratic Party (believe comprised of a leadersip not identified with the war against the Allies) and how the matter was "resolved".

Also, ...;

Kurt Waldheim became UN Secretary General because of benefits to the various factions who get a voice in who gets this job. Can anyone believe the Great Powers thought he was in law school during WWII and not serving as an Ordnance Officer with the Wehrmach ?! (Operation Kozara, etc).

Thus, the summary to my reply: if there are benefits, based on trade-offs, certain events will occur. It's not like passing white light through a prism and expecting a certain result.

Warm regards,

Bob
In a way, it was actually a somewhat rhetorical question, b/c I know the US employed several Nazis after the war, during Operation Paper Clip we brought a bunch over to work on our nuclear and space programs and for CIA assignments. Heck, we used Klaus Barbie!
"The more I see, the more I know. The more I know, the less I understand"-Paul Weller

Graham Clayton

Post by Graham Clayton » 26 Mar 2012, 10:41

What happened to the crew of the US Navy blimp L-8 that caused them to disappear without a trace?

http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites/L-8_crash_site.htm
"Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, in land, and in the air." - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder.

ladycplum

Post by ladycplum » 30 Mar 2012, 21:19

Did ODESSA really exist, as has been portrayed in the films and books?

lightninbob

Post by lightninbob » 13 Jan 2013, 17:39

what really happened to martin bormann

what really went on in himmlers castle in wewelsburg

why are accounts of hitlers death so varried and what really happend to hitler in 1945

also as to someones question why had schellenberg gotten off so lightly, i read somewhere onece the idea that he was treated gentally by the british so he would not talk about the duke of windsor being a nazi spy as was wallace simpson aparently? i'v often tought that alot of people who got off lightly especiialy sd and gestapo menmanaged to do so in order not to speak out about british and american dodgy dealing at there triALS
make love as often as you can.... Even if its with someone else

lightninbob

Post by lightninbob » 13 Jan 2013, 17:43

and the nazi ufo mystery conspiracy reading is very interesting, especially when the supposed ufo nazi rockett scientists landed in america very soon kenneth arnolds famous first reported ufo sighting happend and then very shortly after the roswell incident. all within a year or two of opperation paperclip.
make love as often as you can.... Even if its with someone else

ladycplum

Post by ladycplum » 23 Jan 2013, 17:57

How exactly were the Goebbels children killed? It's been proven that cyanide was involved, because when the bodies were autopsied they produced the smell of bitter almonds associated with cyanide poisoning. But as to how they were drugged beforehand, there are too many different accounts. Some say they were given morphine-laced chocolates, some say they were given a "medicine" that contained a sleeping agent in it, some say they were given morphine injections (this one I don't believe because no needle or puncture marks were found on the bodies.) And there are also conflicting reports on how Joseph and Magda died too. Der Untergang shows Joseph shooting Magda then himself, some accounts say they did the cyanide/gun combo, some say one of the remaining bunker staff shot them.....

Lynn R

Post by Lynn R » 10 Mar 2013, 07:22

Recently I read Alex Kershaw's book, The Envoy, about Raoul Wallenberg. One aspect mentioned that was new to me was the business of RW's cousins.

Kershaw showed the Soviets questioning RW's motive, but not just as an agent for the OSS. Supposedly the Soviets couldn't understand why someone of RW's standing - a young man from a powerful and wealthy Swedish family - would be in Budapest trying to help Jews. When he was detained his contact book had entries for, among others, Eichmann. Coupled with the fact that RW's cousins took advantage of Sweden's neutrality to make a mint doing business with the Nazis, the Soviets' suspicion was that RW was an agent for the Nazis! Furthermore, it's claimed that RW's cousins neither pushed the Swedish government to find and assist RW, nor made any effort themselves to do so, for fear of revealing their dealings in depth (General Lucius Clay wanted to prosecute them as war criminals), casting a dark shadow on the picture.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”