The Lambeth Walk (Dancing Nazis)

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
FortWorthGuy

The Lambeth Walk (Dancing Nazis)

Post by FortWorthGuy » 17 May 2009, 17:03

I found this video on another web page this morning and thought I would pass it on. It takes scenes from Triumph of the Will and adds music (The Lambeth Walk) plus a little "tweaking" of the camera work to make a point. Do not know if Goebells really got all that upset when he saw it, but I hope he did.

http://hnn.us/blogs/entries/53092.html

Takao

Re: The Lambeth Walk (Dancing Nazis)

Post by Takao » 18 May 2009, 21:58

God for a laugh, but no Goebbels never saw it. Look closely at the opening credit screen, "Cine Graphic Studios 2007" Looks authentic, but fake.

FortWorthGuy

Post by FortWorthGuy » 19 May 2009, 16:34

UPDATE:

I sent an e-mail to the author of the web page that contained the Lambeth video and asked him about the discrepancy in the dates. Here is his reply:
The available evidence suggests to me that there are multiple editions of tapes apparently showing Nazis doing the "Lambeth Walk". It appears very likely that an edition was done as early as 1942 and that subsequent versions of it depend very largely on it for their blends of footage with sound. You are correct that the YouTube I linked to appears to bear a 2007 copywrite date. There is some further information in wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lambeth_Walk . Thanks for your e-mail.
So, I guess we are left to our own thoughts on this. Personally, I like to picture JG storming out of the viewing room spewing expletives and throwing chairs left and right.

Takao

Post by Takao » 21 May 2009, 03:15

Here is the original newsreel clip:
http://www.learningcurve.gov.uk/focuson ... subCatID=7

Strategic_Art

Post by Strategic_Art » 16 Aug 2009, 00:53

According to various sources, footage from Triumph of the Will was made into a small collage set to "Doing The Lambeth Walk". Goebbels reportedly kicked chairs and left the room in anger when he saw it

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 30 Jun 2021, 00:20

As the other links appear not to work any more, try this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMs0qlMyNeg

Enjoy.

Sid

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 30 Jun 2021, 13:27

Thanks Sid
"In the movie The Longest Day (1962), about the Allied invasion of Normandy in June 1944, this song is sung by the squadron of Major John Howard in a glider on its way to capture Pegasus Bridge."
This is what I remembered from one of the most famous movies ever, the very familiar piece of music was buzzing around somewhere in the back of my mind...

Wasn't there also a scene with Laurel & Hardy, doing the so-called "Lambeth Walk"..? :lol:
(Probably W. C. Fields)

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 30 Jun 2021, 14:13

Hi Hans,

I don't remember the film well enough. It is a very British song, so I would be surprised if Laurel and Hardy used it. (But then Stan Laurel was British and a music hall artist, so who knows!).

Cheers,

Sid.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 30 Jun 2021, 14:40

Gerhard Polt / Adolf Hitler "Der Leasingvertrag - Leasing contract".

Very nasty, absolutely not politically correct, but still mercilessly good.
One of Gerhard Polt's many masterpieces, combined with a speech by the "Führer".

Was posted before, sorry for the OT. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, I do not know who made the speech and skit
cut together, is a modern classic here in Germany, dead serious! 8-)

Original by Gerhard Polt:

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

ostland

Post by ostland » 01 Jul 2021, 07:29

I love the Gerhard Polt sketch for its deliverance.

“Doch, das geht.” :lol:
"Merken Sie sich eins; bei uns zu Haus' sind nur die Mannschaften Ostmärker. Die Herren Offiziere sind Österreicher! Servus Doktorchen!"

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”