Decorations being taken away as German soldiers surrendered?

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
seaburn

Re: Decorations being taken away as German soldiers surrende

Post by seaburn » 15 Dec 2013, 23:26

I have a Luftwaffe ceremonial bayonet that came into the families possession from a man who served with the British Navy in WW2. The story passed down was that it was traded for a box of cigarettes in 1945. I've often wondered if that was a sanitized story for our benefit or not, too late now unfortunately to ask.

Secondly having read documents about Max Wunsche (WSS Leibstandarte/Hitler Jugend) it was oft mentioned by his Canadian interrogators the array of decorations he wore during these interrogations......'decorated like a Christmas tree'.....'Chest littered with decorations including the Knights Cross'....'Decorated with every medal it was possible to bestow'....' were three of them.

He was captured after the closing of the Falaise Gap in August 1944, and was reported to have had words with Monty as he was being led away to spend 4 years in British captivity. I would be interested to find out if these were his original decorations or copies, I would presume that no copies would have been made or available at the time of his interrogations in 1945, or that they were sent from home later as there was a story I read (unsourced) that his home was 'liberated' of other awards while he was in captivity.

Therefore, from his story I deduce that he must have worn his decorations while in battle and that they were not taken off him when he was captured, even though he had the Knights cross and the German Cross in Gold amongst them. Perhaps as a high ranking officer, he was more protected than most, although Kurt Meyer complained to his interrogators that his knights cross was taken on his capture.

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 16 Dec 2013, 00:38

Hello Seaburn,

Over the years I have bought several items and several decorations with inscription on the sale of item was written
captured. One was a large RAD Labour Patch giving his name and rank plus several books that you can see where it was originally
from a library.

There are many photos of some Canadian POW's with their decorations being photographed in groups outside their
housing. Don't remember exactly which ones they are but here is a link of 100 plus pages of German POW's

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... 3&page=107

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... 73&page=52

seaburn

Post by seaburn » 16 Dec 2013, 00:56

Tks 'Annelie', for the link. A bit OT but I would love if my bayonet had a clue as to its owner on it as I would be happy to return it to the family of the man concerned. If the story of it being handed over for cigarettes is true, I often wonder if the owner regretted his rash decision. I know cigarettes were 'hard currency' in those sorry days, but from the info I've been given about this bayonet on the forum, they were usually given as a gift by family members on graduation etc, mine is engraved so it would have been more prized due to the extra expense.

GordonFraser

Re: Decorations being taken away as German soldiers surrendered?

Post by GordonFraser » 06 May 2016, 16:32

If I have missed this information on the thread, I appologise but; from talking to a few German Vets it was the actual certificate for the award that they valued, not the decoration itself. Whether that extended to winners of the EK I or Knights cross etc I can't comment. Also, if my memory serves me right, wasn't the EK II only allowed to be worn ( on combat uniforms ) on the day of issue and after that was a ribbon attached to one of the tunic buttons? I suppose the medal could have been in a pocket or, as in the case of one of the vets I spoke to, left in his kubel when he was captured.

uhu

Post by uhu » 08 May 2016, 18:32

Why wear decorations in combat as the Wehrmacht did? A way to instantly see who you're with, who you've just been mixed in with, how much combat experience the person has, who to quickly pick to lead or take orders from. How to size up someone with a glance.

LineDoggie

Post by LineDoggie » 08 May 2016, 19:57

uhu wrote:Why wear decorations in combat as the Wehrmacht did? A way to instantly see who you're with, who you've just been mixed in with, how much combat experience the person has, who to quickly pick to lead or take orders from. How to size up someone with a glance.
Yup same goes today in the US Army. A quick glance at a platoon tells you who has a CIB and a combat patch and how is a slicksleeve who hasnt been to war yet.

As to taking awards. My Dad said he took anything he wanted from Germans, dead or POW and never asked them for it. Pretty much the story of every army in WW2, if you were captured your wallet and watch were usually the first things taken and then the bling that attracted the eye, watches, awards, leather jackets, etc.
"There are two kinds of people who are staying on this beach: those who are dead and those who are going to die. Now let’s get the hell out of here".
Col. George Taylor, 16th Infantry Regiment, Omaha Beach

uhu

Post by uhu » 10 May 2016, 22:47

My father-in-Law was captured on the Siegfried Line. From the day he was captured, thru his time in Stalag, his watch and wedding ring were never taken, had them till he died a few years ago.

LineDoggie

Post by LineDoggie » 11 May 2016, 01:32

uhu wrote:My father-in-Law was captured on the Siegfried Line. From the day he was captured, thru his time in Stalag, his watch and wedding ring were never taken, had them till he died a few years ago.
And yet men captured in the Ardennes had boots, galoshes, overcoats, gloves taken away....
"There are two kinds of people who are staying on this beach: those who are dead and those who are going to die. Now let’s get the hell out of here".
Col. George Taylor, 16th Infantry Regiment, Omaha Beach

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”