My trip to the Heeresgeschichtliches Museum, Vienna

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Fred the Fop

My trip to the Heeresgeschichtliches Museum, Vienna

Post by Fred the Fop » 25 Dec 2009, 12:29

Hello folks, I just wanted to share a few photos I took on my trip in October to the Heeresgeschichtliches Museum.
It is a magnificent museum, with a number of factors that add up to serious examination; the range of history, the personalities, the battles, etc.

I was particularly drawn to the automobile in which the Archduke Ferdinand was riding when he was killed.

THe tunic he was wearing, complete with bloodstains and knife cut of the surgeon to reach his wound were under glass too. I dis not think it was
allowed to photograph, so I did not dare!

But my real purpose was to have my first hands on experience, up close, with the tanks of World War 2. Strangely, there are no panzers on display! I really don't know why this is the case, but I am baffled about this. Maybe someone can shed light on this?
Not to be disappointed, there were a few Soviet AFV's, namely the T-34/85 and the TD based on its chassis, to counter the newer German tanks (Tiger & Panther), the Su-85. I am guessing these examples were left over from the battles in the spring of 1945 or from occupation duty. Of that, I am not sure.
Hope you enjoy the beauties!
Attachments
t34 r.jpg
t34 r.jpg (174.42 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
t34.jpg
t34.jpg (182.21 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
ferdinand car.jpg
ferdinand car.jpg (94.7 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
Last edited by Fred the Fop on 25 Dec 2009, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.

Fred the Fop

Re: My trip to the Heeresgeschichtliches Museum, Vienna

Post by Fred the Fop » 25 Dec 2009, 12:30

Here are the views of the Su-85. Not the comparison to its cousin, the T-34.
Attachments
su 85 lat.jpg
su 85 lat.jpg (115.74 KiB) Viewed 1530 times
su 85.jpg
su 85.jpg (190.23 KiB) Viewed 1530 times

Dann Falk

Post by Dann Falk » 25 Dec 2009, 21:35

Great pictures....what else did you see?

BTW, your SU-85 looks like a SU-100 to me, because the commanders copola and the bulge on the side armor. The SU-85 did not have this.

maxxx

Post by maxxx » 28 Dec 2009, 06:41

the russian as well as the american tanks were donated by the allied occupation forces (both western and soviet) to the new austrian bundesheer when they left in 1955. (maybe it was cheaper than take the scrap metal home...) You can see the austrian vehicle markings.

And why are there no german panzers? hmmm... maybe because its an austrian museum and what was left of german military equipment was evacuated to germany or destroyed in the fighting or by the post war occupation forces. No german heavy eqquipment went into the new austrian army.

Also dont forget the HGM was the oldest and first ever purpose build museum in Austria and dedicated to the imperial austrian forces. For decades there wasnt even a WW2 exhibition (The new galleries 1918-1945 has only recently be added) even though the austrians always had incredible historic military treasures. But you will see the exhibition is not a Wehrmacht exhibition but has also a lot of items from the different armed party forces of the 30ies, the first republic bundesheer and even the austrian anti nazi partisan battalions.

But my favorite (beside the Franz Ferdinand Room) is the NApoleonic Collection. Did you count the french eagles:)? In London they would have built half a dozen museums around them:)

Fred the Fop

Post by Fred the Fop » 04 Jan 2010, 03:14

Maxx, thanks for the information. I kind of had the feeling they were donated, I am new to vehicle ID's so I will definitely learn for my next trip. Being next to such vehicles, the massive size really overwhelms you. I wonder the effect they had on some infantryman in a ditch, watching them lumber towards him! I did not count the eagles, but I did love the Napoleonic room very much. I think i have a few photos from there, too.

Yeah Dann, you corrected me! I am embarrassed about not recognizing the copula, thanks for that! I have a few more photos to share, indeed. Sit back and drool at these beauts...
Attachments
kubel.jpg
Kuebelwagon
kubel.jpg (139.55 KiB) Viewed 1427 times
chaf.jpg
an M-24 Chaffee
chaf.jpg (142.76 KiB) Viewed 1427 times
Rk.jpg
A Kettankrad
Rk.jpg (138.16 KiB) Viewed 1427 times

Fred the Fop

Post by Fred the Fop » 04 Jan 2010, 03:16

Some more, fellas...
Attachments
achacht.jpg
The Great 88!!
achacht.jpg (251.87 KiB) Viewed 1427 times
bb.jpg
A Big Bertha type Rail gun
bb.jpg (127.37 KiB) Viewed 1427 times
pak41.jpg
Pak-41
pak41.jpg (140.49 KiB) Viewed 1427 times

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 08 Jan 2010, 22:35

Thanks for sharing those photos.

/Marcus

melbar16

Post by melbar16 » 07 Mar 2010, 13:26

Good snaps indeed.
It's been almost 5 years since i last visited the museum. The T-34/85 has got a lick of paint since i was there. Not quite sure but some of the outdoor displays appear to have been changed around a bit. That's not a bad thing of course!
Also when i was there i just paid my 'photo fee' and was allowed snap away as much as i liked, including the Archduke's uniform! Maybe they don't allow flash photography anymore? Can anyone clarify this?
It certainly is one of the finest museums in it's category that i've ever been to. The presentation and condition of everything on display is simply superb.
Hope i can make another visit within the next year or 2!
Actually i think the attached pic was taken outside this place back in 1945, shame a few of these beauties didn't make the collection!
http://www.ostpanzer.boom.ru/Fkaput.JPG
Enjoy all
DG

Fred the Fop

Post by Fred the Fop » 23 Oct 2010, 08:00

Sorry Melbar! So long to reply, I just saw this now. Well, WOW, what can I say about this photo you posted? I am sure there are people here that can let us know if these Panthers are remnants of the 6th SS Panzer Army that ma have retreated via Vienna after the failure of the Lake Balaton offensive.
The use of flash cameras in the museum, especially in the Archduke Ferdinand room, is not forbidden, as far as I know.

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 26 Oct 2010, 09:41

A Big Bertha type Rail gun
No, Sir!

38cm Haubitze M16 von Skoda

http://i41.tinypic.com/sg4x85.jpg

Jan-Hendrik

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”