What kind of razor did Hitler shave with?

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Torretta13

What kind of razor did Hitler shave with?

Post by Torretta13 » 25 Aug 2010, 07:08

what kind of razor Hitler shaved with? Did he use a straight razor, or did he use a double edged safety razor?

If no one on the board can answer that specific question, can someone please tell me which type of razor the MAJORITY of German men used during the 1930's and 40's? I know that the double edged safety razor had obviously been invented by that time, but I do not know how widespread its use was. Were the majority of German men still using a straight razor to shave in the 30's and 40's, or had most of them switched over to the double edged safety razor by then? I recently came across an on-line sale of a "Wehrmacht Shaving kit", which seemed to contain the classic double edged safety razor. Does this mean that I can at least assume that the vast majority of German soldiers used a double edged saftey razor to shave during this time period? ANY help from anyone on the board familiar with the shaving practices of German males in the 30's and early 40's would be appreciated. I have researched this subject on-line, and have been able to unearth very little. Thank you.

[subject title changed to be more helpful to the readers /Marcus]

Torretta13

Re: What kind of razor did Hitler shave with?

Post by Torretta13 » 25 Aug 2010, 18:19

come on guys.....where are you when I need you? I am asking for help here, and I was hoping that some of the members on the board would be able to help me out. Hello?....

propwash

Post by propwash » 25 Aug 2010, 20:42

I have to admit that in my 60 years on this planet never once have I ever considered what sort of razor did Herr Hitler shave with. Nor did I ever become inquisitive about German shaving habits. But that is probably becuase I do not have an enquiring mind for the little things in history.
I can see me spending hours searching the web to find out who provided shaving supplies to the Leader of the German People. Another sleepless night.

Just found this intriguing post on a Straight Razor Forum
http://straightrazorplace.com/forums/bu ... azors.html

The poster is GUGI at the bottom of the given page.

Penn44
Banned

Post by Penn44 » 26 Aug 2010, 04:13

This question is even better than the one regarding what kind of typewriter did Hitler use.

Hitler’s half-brother, Alois was reportedly in the safety razor business at one time so perhaps Hitler got his razors from his half-brother.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alois_Hitler,_Jr

Although I don’t know what kind of razor Hitler used, I assume that in his later years Hitler had someone else shave him as he may have suffered from Parkinson’s disease. What the characteristic hand tremors, Hitler could have accidentially cut his own throat or lopped off his mustache.

Penn44

I once was told that I was vain, but I knew that vanity was a fault, so I gave it up because I have no faults.

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 26 Aug 2010, 04:47

Torretta13 wrote:what kind of razor Hitler shaved with? Did he use a straight razor, or did he use a double edged safety razor?

If no one on the board can answer that specific question, can someone please tell me which type of razor the MAJORITY of German men used during the 1930's and 40's? I know that the double edged safety razor had obviously been invented by that time, but I do not know how widespread its use was. Were the majority of German men still using a straight razor to shave in the 30's and 40's, or had most of them switched over to the double edged safety razor by then? I recently came across an on-line sale of a "Wehrmacht Shaving kit", which seemed to contain the classic double edged safety razor. Does this mean that I can at least assume that the vast majority of German soldiers used a double edged saftey razor to shave during this time period? ANY help from anyone on the board familiar with the shaving practices of German males in the 30's and early 40's would be appreciated. I have researched this subject on-line, and have been able to unearth very little. Thank you.

[subject title changed to be more helpful to the readers /Marcus]
I'd try to find what sort of " Shaving kit" was issued to soldiers of the Imperial German Army not the Wehrmacht, to figure out Hitler's preferred razor, as he was in the German army in WWI . That would be a good bet. I pretty much have stuck with the same razor that I used when I was in the service and that seems to be a common preference among Veterans. especially older ones. :milwink:

Torretta13

Post by Torretta13 » 26 Aug 2010, 06:15

Seriously guys, thanks. I appreciate the thoughtful and informative responses in the thread. I know that the topic might seem completely inane to many folks, but it is the type of "tiny/personal" detail, which I find to be interesting. There have obviously been countless biographies of Hitler, yet it is details such as these (whether or not he was a sports fan at all, what he shaved with, what happened to the pistol he committed suicide with, etc.) which NEVER seem to be addressed. I appreciate ya'll's help and input. I guess that it is safe to assume that we all agree that Hitler probably used a straight razor to shave in the 30's and 40's (up until the point that his Parkinson's made it too difficult, perhaps, as someone pointed out?).

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 26 Aug 2010, 14:32

According to Hinz Linge Hitler's valet at the Berghof he would waken Hitler at eleven o'clock and announce that newspapers and despatches were at his door, sometimes he would answer the door in his nightshirt and slippers.
Hitler would read the newspapers and despatches in bed, near which was a tea trolley with books, newspapers, his spectacles and a box with coloured pencils. What he might have been reading or what interested him especially could never be determined, for he never underlined nor marked anything, not even in books.

After the morning reading session (he would shave, remove his white nightshirt, lay it on the bed, bath, take the clothing ready on the clothes-stand and dress). Forty minutes after waking he would take breakfast in the library near the bedroom.

With Hitler To The End - Heinz Linge

robertmountfor

Post by robertmountfor » 27 Aug 2010, 00:41

I think its true that the details are of interest....it casts a 'banal' light that seems only to belong to the less inspiring, the un-interesting people of which there are many.

Before his death I used to know Gen. Krebs adjutant, Freiherr von. Loringhoven. (In The Bunker With Hitler author).
Amongst other things he confirmed that A.H. did have the respected barber from Berlins 'Kaiserhof' Hotel, Wollenhaupt , visit Fhq on a regular basis for the obligatory short back and sides, and no doubt the odd shave.

Also, contrary to popular belief, he bathed very regularly, using scented pine needle bars. (no cologne!)

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 27 Aug 2010, 05:04

Several unresponsive, off-topic posts were removed by this moderator - DT.

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 28 Aug 2010, 03:53

Thanks David.

Torretta13, though the photo Christopher posted the link to shows a straight razor in a soldier's kit, I believe I've also seen safety razors in bakelite cases for Wehrmacht issue (I'll try to find a photo example when I get a chance). I'm sure it had a lot to do with personal preference (and the steadiness of one's hand!), as I know older men even now who still shave with a straight razor.

~Vikki

Larrister

Post by Larrister » 28 Aug 2010, 04:40

Hi

This photo will not answer your question but it does show soldiers being shaved by their comrades or shaving themselves.
Why they are shaving on a railway platform is a mystery. Maybe they were staying there before being shipped out. An NCO seems to be supervising. The soldier right is using a safety razor.

I guess there were several types of razor used at that time and those who collect TR personal effects or kit will be able to help.

Larry
Attachments
16.jpg
16.jpg (186.38 KiB) Viewed 8166 times

Larrister

Post by Larrister » 28 Aug 2010, 04:52

A little search in Google turned up this photo and others. Site: http://www.grenadier352nd.com/html_page ... vekit2.htm

Larry
Attachments
shavekit2B.jpg
shavekit2B.jpg (173.63 KiB) Viewed 8166 times

EPAZ1

Post by EPAZ1 » 28 Aug 2010, 23:24

Larry,
Interesting photo of the shaving kit. It reminds me of the one my father left to me. His is similar although it does not have as many brushes and only has two of the rectangular containers. The largest, rectangular, silver container above may contain a safety razor as it does in my father's case. The smaller one in my case holds soap. If you notice, there are no holding straps for the straight razors in the picture so I believe they must not be a part of this kit. All in all, a very nice photo, thanks for sharing it.

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 29 Aug 2010, 05:08

3 of the straight razors fit in the backsides' of the brushes and the 4th fits into its own pocket.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”