How Many German Veterans Are Alive?

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
I have questions

Re: How Many German Veterans Are Alive?

Post by I have questions » 02 Oct 2019 03:23

Annelie wrote:
05 Feb 2019 17:51

Just read over the weekend how someone stole all on German vets memorabilia which included hats uniforms he wore and medals
plus all the paper work....someone would have had to know where this man was to steal from him.
that certainly wasn't my intention 8O

FreemanOrrin1942

Post by FreemanOrrin1942 » 04 Oct 2019 15:43

I wish I would have been born earlier, being 18 I only have had the opportunity to meet a few veterans of the Second World War. I communicated with only 2 German veterans ever only by mail. Like you guys have said there are not very many left and even fewer who are willing to talk about their service.
"Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." - General Omar N. Bradley

RandJS

Post by RandJS » 04 Oct 2019 22:27

HI,
My father, a US Army vet, did not like to speak of his experiences during WWII. He was reluctant to attend his unit's reunions for many years, but finally started going after a personal plea from a close friend in the unit. I was lucky enough to attend several reunions with him where other members shared their experiences. I spoke to relatives who were in USAF and USN. I also talked to a Vietnam Vet friend who suffered PTSD. A classmate's father was in the LW, flew Bf 109's. Used to go to a German Restaurant which had a display case at the back with a U-boat and Bismark models. One night, I asked the owner about it. He said he was in the KM. I asked what ship? A destroyer and minesweepers in Norway. I again asked what ship? He gave the "Z" number, I replied with it's name. He was surprised. I believe he felt a little embarrassed that I would call him a Nazi, while my interest was in WW2 History. During a later visit, he came to my table, brought down a small photo album, and shared a beer with me. Very nice. Unfortunately, all are gone now. I attend a WWII reenactment yearly and am able to speak to veterans. Always a pleasure.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”