The Czech parachutist who betrayed Kubis and Gabcek?

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
ladycplum

The Czech parachutist who betrayed Kubis and Gabcek?

Post by ladycplum » 28 Feb 2012 21:05

Can anyone remember the name of the Czech parachutist who betrayed Kubis and Gabcek to the Gestapo? I know he was executed by the Czechs for colllaboration after the war, but for the life of me his name escapes me.....
"The more I see, the more I know. The more I know, the less I understand"-Paul Weller

George_W

Re: The Czech parachutist who betrayed Kubis and Gabcek?

Post by George_W » 29 Feb 2012 01:17

Hello

There were two traitors inside this operation:
Karel Curda and Viliam Gerik.
Both hanged after the war.

George

ladycplum

Post by ladycplum » 29 Feb 2012 06:14

Curda, that was the main one I was trying to remember. Thanks George!
"The more I see, the more I know. The more I know, the less I understand"-Paul Weller

PavelH

Post by PavelH » 06 Mar 2012 00:31

You are right guys, his name was Karel Curda. Just want to say, that he wasn`t the betrayer from the very beginning, he was "forced" to be the betrayer. Its airdrop had real problems and was dissloved, he tried to contacted soldiers from another airdrops, but unsuccessfully. Afterwards he found a hide-out at his family, where he found out that Heydrich's assassination was carried out successfully.Then he could just listen news about mass executions and extermination of czech villages .... I`d never want to be in the same situation as he was, save hundreds of guiltless lives or save lives of soldiers who knew that they could die at any time .... he chose the first .... killing ended ... Curda became the betrayer and even as saver of many lives. Not easy to judge and it depends on your point of view, however I`m affraid that I`d do the same thing.
Pavel

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 06 Mar 2012 21:12

fo00269177.jpg
Karel Čurda during his Trial.

Photo:www.ctk.cz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

dmar7397

Post by dmar7397 » 29 Sep 2019 14:47

Well Pavel, I'm sure glad you were not a member of the resistance. All the recruits knew about the Nazi doctrine of collective punishment, and shouldn't have been surprised by the mass executions of innocents. Especially after going after such a high ranking official. You talk about saving innocent lives by betraying the killers of Heydrich? What about all the lives that were saved by eliminating this clever and scheming mass murderer? Are you so naiive to believe that the Nazis ceased to kill after the assassinins were caught? You need to hit the history books.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”