Vittel Internment Camp

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Noel Holland

Re: Vittel Internment Camp

Post by Noel Holland » 07 Mar 2017 13:08

Hi. My mother, Rosemary (Pat) Say was interned at both the Besancon and Vittel camps. I wrote her story a few years back - "Rosie's War" by Noel Holland. I am now researching a broader book on the two camps and would love to hear from anyone who had relatives interned there.

stevebeste

Post by stevebeste » 07 Mar 2017 14:36

I have read Rosie's War. Good luck.

vlrivera

Post by vlrivera » 15 Jan 2018 00:09

I saw a video of the Sherman tanks liberating the camp. My father, Ronald Albert Hall, my aunt Diane Hall and grandmother Marie Hall were all there. It was on ITN, but I don't remember the rest of it. My uncle in France found it and sent it to me. After they were 'released', they made it back to England. He was only 16, but lied about his age and joined the British Army. Can anyone help with the rest of the website?

mfdb

Post by mfdb » 22 Jan 2018 13:25

Hi,
I read the book and am using it to research my relatives who were also interned but only in Frontstalag 142. I also interviewed Shula Troman who said there were a couple of errors in the book she wanted corrected! So...for your reprint you need to know... She spoke so fondly of Rosie who she called Pat.

Karski

Post by Karski » 23 Jan 2018 12:07

In the Mémorial de la Déportation des Juifs de Belgique, by Serge Klarsfeld and Maxime Steinberg, several Jews sent to Vittel were given as "missing". An independent researcher found that at least the majority of them were still alive. He had found some of them in the phonebook. The Belgian press spoke of this affair in the last months of 1990.

Derriman

Post by Derriman » 10 Apr 2018 04:38

Does anyone have an email address for Steve Beste, a forum member, who a year or two ago was collecting information about the Vittel Internment Camp in France? I'd like to contact him with a query. Thanks.

AdrianV

Post by AdrianV » 31 May 2019 16:39

I am searching for the identity a Mary de Moleyns who sent a POW postcard from Front-Stalag 121 at Vittel on 31st October 1942 to a nearby address, here in Sussex. Has any researcher come across this name by any obscure chance?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”