Colonel Stauffenberg's execution pictures??

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
awara pagal deewana

Colonel Stauffenberg's execution pictures??

Post by awara pagal deewana » 12 Mar 2013, 20:10

Could anybody tell whether the execution photos of Colonel Stauffenberg and other conspirators shot after the failed July 20 plot in the Bendlerblock exist?? I remember watching a documentary in which they showed the picture of Stauffenberg being shot. It was a few years ago hence I dont remember the documentary's name.

awara pagal deewana

Re: Colonel Stauffenberg's execution pictures??

Post by awara pagal deewana » 17 Mar 2020, 11:45

Any update on this post?

v60pih

Post by v60pih » 18 Mar 2020, 13:39

awara pagal deewana

Post by awara pagal deewana » 18 Mar 2020, 14:12

I guess this is not the real picture of Stauffenberg's execution.

valkyrie

Post by valkyrie » 08 Oct 2020, 04:16

You might be thinking of a fictional doc made by David Wolper In the 70’s as part Of his “Appointment with Destiny” series. I think it won an Emmy. Called “The Plot to Murder Hitler”; narrated by James Mason; consisting of recreated B&W scenes shot in documentary/reality style.

The real execution was carried out at night in the courtyard of the Bendlerblock. It was carried out quickly by Fromm so he could cover his involvement. It is highly unlikely that any photographers were present and whether they could have taken good pics at 12AM on July 21.

Colin

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 10 Oct 2020, 03:48

valkyrie wrote:
08 Oct 2020, 04:16
You might be thinking of a fictional doc made by David Wolper In the 70’s as part Of his “Appointment with Destiny” series. I think it won an Emmy. Called “The Plot to Murder Hitler”; narrated by James Mason; consisting of recreated B&W scenes shot in documentary/reality style.

The real execution was carried out at night in the courtyard of the Bendlerblock. It was carried out quickly by Fromm so he could cover his involvement. It is highly unlikely that any photographers were present and whether they could have taken good pics at 12AM on July 21.

Colin
Your answer is correct as to what happened that night.

awara pagal deewana

Post by awara pagal deewana » 10 Oct 2020, 11:17

valkyrie wrote:
08 Oct 2020, 04:16

Colin
I had seen the documentary 10-15 years back but I don't remember the name. It showed the real stauffenberg picture taken at night with truck headlights on. And one of the user on another forum also agreed that he has seen the pictures in a documentary. I believe these pictures are hidden from the public and unpublished.

valkyrie

Post by valkyrie » 10 Oct 2020, 17:46

There’s no way. Conspiracy theory.

Unlike the famed execution videos and photos of the first executed based on Volksgerichtshof sentences (Which did at one time exist), I have NEVER heard of any witness saying that photos of the Bendlerstrasse executions were taken. As a flash would have had to be used given the late hour and lack of other light sources, some witness (and there were quite a few) would have noted it. It never happened.

Colin

awara pagal deewana

Post by awara pagal deewana » 10 Oct 2020, 23:46

I am not talking about any conspiracy theory here. Just from my memory I recall that I saw the documentary which showed the real pictures. If an eye witness does not state anything about an activity of an event, it does not mean that it did not exist. There are so many events in which one eye witness says one thing and the other eye witness says another as in Hitler's suicide. If you read Heinze linge's account and Otto Gunsche's account you will see they slightly differ (NO CONSPIRACY THEORY HERE!! HITLER IS DEAD!). And what about the Nuremberg executions unpublished photos which exists but were never shown. I read in the book "Nuremberg Infamy on trial" by Joseph Persico that the author saw these unpublished photos in Berlin Document center. And one more thing I also believe there must be so many photos of Hitler's bunker immediately after the Soviets captured it but are unpublished although there were eyewitnesses (Soviet Soldiers), but nothing is heard from them.

valkyrie

Post by valkyrie » 10 Oct 2020, 23:49

Believe what you want. I know several world class researchers including Peter Hoffmann who would argue with you. I have more productive uses for my time.

awara pagal deewana

Post by awara pagal deewana » 10 Oct 2020, 23:54

I also quote from wikipedia which is referring to the film Valkyrie of Tom cruise and it describes how the film makers reproduced the execution scene. "In the film (Valkyrie), von Haeften steps out in front of von Stauffenberg when he faces the firing squad, but when filmmakers attempted to reconstruct the scene based on eyewitness testimony and photographs, they discovered that the shots that killed von Haeften would also have killed von Stauffenberg, who was actually shot shortly after" You can clearly see that the excerpt mentions photographs. I am not here to argue with you but just was stating my opinion with facts.

Reference:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valkyrie_(film)

valkyrie

Post by valkyrie » 11 Oct 2020, 00:08

Firstly Wiki is not a scholarly reference. This may refer to photos of the scene. These exist.

Valkyrie’s historical consultant was Peter Hoffmann. Author of “Stauffenberg A Family History” and “The History of the German Resistance.” The latter is the definitive history. Hoffmann interviewed almost every survivor who was at the Bendlerblock on July 20 starting in the 1960’s, when many were still alive. He provides extensive Detail with supporting footnotes in his book, including a detailed analysis of the execution pics and videos from the post-coup Peoples’ Court trials. He does not mention the existence of any photos related to the Bendlerstrasse executions and certainly would have had there been even a hint of such existing. I have read his book multiple times including the footnotes.

Eye witnesses state that Haeften did throw himself in front of Stauffenberg per Hoffmann’s two books. This does not provide enough detail for a forensic or ballistic analysis of Firing squad rifle trajectories. That’s just a silly comment for someone to put on Wiki. By the way I could say on Wiki that Stauffenberg’s eyes were brown and it would stay up unless someone decided to challenge it.

I suggest you write to him at McGill University and ask his opinion On the Haefetn issue and on the possible existence of photos. He is very generous in responding to serious research requests.

If you are unwilling to defer to Professor Hoffmann’s opinion we don’t really have anything more to discuss.

Colin

awara pagal deewana

Post by awara pagal deewana » 11 Oct 2020, 17:29

The wikipedia excerpt I referred to is taken from the filmmakers interview, so I believe the film makers may had more access to the unpublished documents and other testimonies. They told that a lot of material is available regarding this period.

Regarding the two books you mentioned by Peter Hoffmann, I have read the first one. And I have also read a book named "Flame of freedom" translated from german by Eberhard Zeller which is mentioned in the footnotes by Peter Hofmann regarding the execution and its sequence. I find this book more interesting and full of information than the Hoffman book about Stauffenberg although the book by Hoffman is also good. In this book " Flame of freedom" the author mentions photo of Hitler taken during the day after the explosion which was published in the newspapers of that time (When Mussolini visited Hitler) of those time which I cannot find it today.

Also I bought a book (written in German) published by the German Military History Museum, Dresden about an exhibition regarding the Valkyrie operation on the 75th anniversary. In it they show the original telefax (The Valkyrie Order) send by the Stauffenberg group as part of Operation Valkyrie and much more other original items like the briefcase of Field Marshal Witzleben which I had not seen in the Peter Hoffman book. So I believe many items do exist which were not shown to the public before.

Regarding Hoffman, I have a huge respect for him as he is one of the finest scholar of the German Resistance History. Sure I will ask him about the photos. But still I am sure that I saw the photo of Stauffenberg being executed in the courtyard at the BendlerBlock in a documentary. And if you dont believe then its your own view and you are free to have one!.

valkyrie

Post by valkyrie » 11 Oct 2020, 19:02

Good luck. I look forward to you enlightening us with Professor Hoffmann’s opinion.

I HIGHLY recommend you acquire a copy of The History of the German Resistance” if you have an interest in the subject. You will enjoy it.

Colin

awara pagal deewana

Post by awara pagal deewana » 11 Oct 2020, 19:32

Thank you. Yes sure I will respond here with professor Hoffmann's answer.

Okay I will look forward to buy the book. And yes I do have interest in the subject.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”