Does anyone have info on the POW's of Velikiye Luki?

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
JU187

Does anyone have info on the POW's of Velikiye Luki?

Post by JU187 » 03 Apr 2013, 06:02

My great uncle was from the Sudetenland and drafted into the German Army. His sister was my grandmother and she came to America in 1937, just before the Nazi invasion. She passed away in the 1960s and little was ever known about that side of the family. I was able to get a written statement from the German War Archives in Berlin regarding his service. His name was Friedrich Neumann and he served in the 83rd Infantry division 277th Grenadier Regiment 7th Company.

I have read all about the 277 being tasked with holding Velikiye Luki and being encircled by the Soviets. What's interesting is it says he was missing in action on 16 Jan 1943. That is the exact date of the final Soviet push to destroy the regiment and overtake the city.

What I don't understand is the next part of the letter they sent me, but what I assume it means is he was declared dead legally on this date but the date of death is listed as 31 Dec 1945. I'm not sure if that is a date used for legal purposes or if there is any evidence that he was executed or something. I included this portion of the letter below.

I understand that the Eastern front POW's were often denied Red Cross visits and the Soviets treated them very bad. They were basically worked until death, often with no survivors. There are very few details about them as the Soviets did not capture or at least never published any list of names, etc. Just wondering if by chance anyone has any information about this regiment or can make sense of the statement in the letter that is below.

"Friedrich Neumann, geboren am 13 November 1919 in Römerstadt seit dem 16 Jan 1943 als Angehoriger der Einheit 7 Kompanie Grenadier Regiment 277 bei Welikije-Luki Russland vermisst wird.

Uber seinen weiteren Verbleib ist nichts bekannt geworden.

Der Genannte ist durch Beschluss des Amtsgerichts Munchen vom September 17 1951, Az. UR II 59/1956, fur tot erklart worden. Todeszeitpunkt: December 31 1945"

history1
Banned

Re: Does anyone have info on the POW's of Velikiye Luki?

Post by history1 » 03 Apr 2013, 08:39

The second sentence means " About his fate (whereabout) there´s nothing known".
So asuming that they had any hint for declaring him dead is wrong.

On some point the family of MIA soldiers gave up any hope for a comeback of their beloved ones. Then they walked to the government agency and requested a declaration of death. That was often necessary because of the inheritance in the family. e.g when there were some kids which are leaving the house due to marriage, or when the missed person should get some inheritance from his parents (when the died) and there were siblings etc..
This also happened in my family hence the father of my paternal grandmother did not return in 1945. The story is that some czech partisans caught his unit.

Translation of the last sentence:
"The nominated person (Friedrich Neumann) has been declared as dead due the enactment of the local district court in Munich from September 17th, 1951 with the reference number UR II 59/1956. Time of death: 31st December 1945"

JU187

Post by JU187 » 03 Apr 2013, 09:34

Thank you for your reply. I guess it could be assumed he died at some point during the last stand in Velikiye Luki. From what I understand the conditions there were terrible. Encircled, no rations or care for the wounded and bombardment from Soviet artillery continuously.

Arensburger

Post by Arensburger » 28 Apr 2013, 19:06

Oberstleutnant Eduard Freiherr von Sass Kdr Gren.Rgt. 277 / 83. Inf.Div.
Remnants of the German garrison Velikije-Luki
German prisoners of war Velikije-Luki
Russian sources - from Velikije-Luki garrison was captured 3,944 German soldiers, including 54 officers.

snowwhitebloodred

Post by snowwhitebloodred » 04 Nov 2021, 04:58

best book about the battle of Velikiye Luki is "Deadlock Before Moscow - Army Group Center 1942-1943" by Franz Kurowski. ISBN: 0-88740-412-X.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”