Best Artillery of WWII

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Logan Hartke

Best Artillery of WWII

Post by Logan Hartke » 29 Apr 2002 05:07

[Moved from the Polls section]

Who had the best artillery of WWII. This is all things included, spotting, communication, mobility, experience, ammunition, actual weaponry, tactics, etc.? Vote and then tell why, if you would please. I will reveal vote later on...

Logan Hartke

Dan Feltmate

Post by Dan Feltmate » 29 Apr 2002 06:24

To make yea happy Logan, comrade, i voted for Germany :)

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » 29 Apr 2002 08:13

My vote goes to Finland. Not most equipment or ammo and most of what they had was out dated but those guys were damn accurate and skilled in using what they had.

Logan Hartke

Post by Logan Hartke » 29 Apr 2002 13:06

I didn't pick Germany because they didn't have good mobility. They were largely horse-drawn. By the time they had a considerable number of SP guns, they didn't have the fuel to utilize them. Also, on the Western Front, they lacked the spotter aircraft that they needed. On top of that they had supply problems. They also had a problem picking one gun to standardize on; they wanted to just build them all. My pick also has the best ammunition at the time. Can you guess it?

Logan Hartke

Al Carter

Close proximity fuse

Post by Al Carter » 29 Apr 2002 16:23

Didn't America devise the Close Proximity Fuse in their artillery? I would have to say that with that, with the mobility, spotting ability and volume would have to put them close to the top. Actually on top.

Al Carter

Juha Hujanen
Financial supporter

Artillery

Post by Juha Hujanen » 29 Apr 2002 16:53

Have to vote Finland.Despite obsolent guns with slow rate of fire and short range and with too many models they were able to blunt Russians attacks.Could bring heavy fire to one spot very fast.Because short range of guns,they rarely could do counter artillery fire and most of their units were horse drawn.

Henric Edwards

Post by Henric Edwards » 29 Apr 2002 17:33

My vote goes to Finland too for the same reasons as above. They don't really fill the criteria you set in terms of mobility and ammo quantity, but Finnish artillery was indeed very accurate and above all deadly. So given the circumstances, I say they were the best. :)

~Henric Edwards

Logan Hartke

Re: Close proximity fuse

Post by Logan Hartke » 29 Apr 2002 17:33

Al Carter wrote:Didn't America devise the Close Proximity Fuse in their artillery? I would have to say that with that, with the mobility, spotting ability and volume would have to put them close to the top. Actually on top.

That's exactly what I thought, and for all of those reasons.

Logan Hartke

Gwynn Compton

Post by Gwynn Compton » 30 Apr 2002 03:33

Though one does have to admire the Katyusha and the Soviet Artillery Divisions, such an interesting idea :)

Even so, I do agree that the Americans had some of the best artillery, however most partcipants did have fairly good artillery, it seems to have been one of the few things that kept pace with each other during the war.

Logan Hartke

Post by Logan Hartke » 30 Apr 2002 03:40

But no one had the Proximity Fuse shells and those gave the USA the advantage by far.

Logan Hartke

Logan Hartke

Post by Logan Hartke » 30 Apr 2002 03:47

Also, the Katyushas were largely built on American Studebakers.

Logan Hartke

Galahad

Re: Best Artillery

Post by Galahad » 30 Apr 2002 05:56

The US, without a doubt. Not only was the artillery fully motorized, with full radio communications, but the US forward observer fire control system and the gunnery plot system were the most advanced in the world; all currently used fire control systems are based on it.
No other nation then had the capability of running observer-controlled multi-battalion time-on-target missions as a matter of course, with no advance preparation other than a fire mission call from the FO. Target acquisition, plotting and firing were faster than with any other artillery force in the world, and accuracy was usually greater due to the 6400 mill plotting wheel used and the multiple fire data included in making the firing plot.
An example is the 6 battalion TOT concentration brought down on attacking German troops at Bastogne. It wrecked the better part of 2 regiments inside 5 minutes and broke up the attack before it came into contact with the MLD.
Furthermore, following a US tradition dating back to before the Mexican War, there was a LOT of US artillery.
Last edited by Galahad on 30 Apr 2002 21:40, edited 1 time in total.

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » 30 Apr 2002 08:34

Perhaps. But Finnish artillery was in few parts much more accurate and flexible than others.
All units firing indirectly within range could be very fast be ordered to fire in same target in very short time. Finns used couple transparent cards that made targeting very fast.

They were able to concentrate fire from 252 guns to area of 300m*200m resulting total annihilation of Soviet forces gathering. Strike lasted about 1 minute.

Gwynn Compton

Post by Gwynn Compton » 30 Apr 2002 10:56

Also, the Katyushas were largely built on American Studebakers.

I wonder what Oleg would have to say about that :P

More Lend Lease equipment helping the Soviets :P

I did vote for the American's though, they did a brilliant job with their artillery, for all the reasons mentioned thus far.

prejo

Post by prejo » 30 Apr 2002 11:06

I vote for russians. I vote this way because I think that two things are very important for artillery and can overcome other shortages (such as communications) - range and concentration of firepower. And the russians achieved both.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”