Curses in german language WWII

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Arto O

Curses in german language WWII

Post by Arto O » 09 Jul 2013, 07:46

Hi,
In a serie of curious questions (some would say stupid ones): What were curse words in german language during the WWii? When somebody was hit, attacked by surprise, wounded etc. I remember, when reading "Wings" named cartoons (a long time ago) (in finnish "Siivet"), always when a German pilot was hit, he shouted "himmel". But even then I had a doubt.
with best regards
Arto

Simperator

Re: Curses in german language WWII

Post by Simperator » 09 Jul 2013, 15:10

Hi,

No German says "Himmel". It is technically possible, but highly unlikely. It's just one of these phrases that are understood internationally and are used by Hollywood.

When hit, some possibilities would be:

"Mein Gott/Oh Gott" (my god/oh god)
"Verdammt" (damned)
"Mist" (crap = not too bad hit)
"Scheiße" (shit)
"Verflucht" (cursed)
"Oh nein" (oh no)

But we have always to remember that people used to curse a little less than today, at least if they weren't part of the lower part of society. So, for example, there would be more modern and more primitive words today in Germany, some of them in English, like "f*ck" and so on, which are highly unlikely for this period of time, so I didn't include these in the list.

Regards,
Simon

Urmel

Post by Urmel » 09 Jul 2013, 15:35

"Himmel, Arsch und Zwirn" is my favourite. But you need to have some time for that one, and you might use it if something isn't working properly and you tried hard to make it work. :)

Also:

"Herrgottnochmal" - (Lord again) this one's not too rough, I would use it when slightly annoyed.
"Zum Teufel" (To the Devil, i.e. go to hell) - rougher, you might use it if something just broke, or doesn't work, also an idea (Zum Teufel damit - To the Devil with this thing/idea).
The enemy had superiority in numbers, his tanks were more heavily armoured, they had larger calibre guns with nearly twice the effective range of ours, and their telescopes were superior. 5 RTR 19/11/41

The CRUSADER Project - The Winter Battle 1941/42

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 09 Jul 2013, 19:19

But we have always to remember that people used to curse a little less than today, at least if they weren't part of the lower part of society. So, for example, there would be more modern and more primitive words today in Germany, some of them in English, like "f*ck" and so on, which are highly unlikely for this period of time, so I didn't include these in the list.
IDK, Soldiers and sailors have been quite an obscene cursing lot for 1000's of years. Roman legions had some really dirty songs they sang on the march. It is just recently that such cursing has been made light of in society and not censored as it was in the past. Keegan has a chapter on this in "The Face of Battle". IIRc.

That said , I think one of the reasons the Germans might not have cussed as much in WWII , was they simply did not foresee the need to have an enormous supply of the word "fuck", as their word "ficken" is not nearly as versatile, so they built less copies.

Kind of' the war in microcosm. :lol:

For some laughs check out this 2 min clip, Monty Python on the word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26UA578yQ5g

Arto O

Post by Arto O » 11 Jul 2013, 03:22

Thanks averybody for the information.
The language used 60 years ago must have been different than now. Some words dissapears and others raise.
with best regards
Arto

Scumbagarty02

Post by Scumbagarty02 » 26 Jul 2017, 11:21

During the WWII in Berlin, it's common knowledge that various staff elements were entertained regularly with cabaret shows ... and elements of the German Gestapo took great delight in sitting in the first rows of chairs. And the standard joke went pretty much like this ... Wie hoch war der Schnee in Russland? Soooo hoch! (punctuated by raising one's arm ... ever so slowly).

maltesefalcon

Re: Curses in german language WWIIn

Post by maltesefalcon » 27 Jul 2017, 00:35

Simperator wrote:Hi,

No German says "Himmel". It is technically possible, but highly unlikely. It's just one of these phrases that are understood internationally and are used by Hollywood.

When hit, some possibilities would be:

"Mein Gott/Oh Gott" (my god/oh god)
"Verdammt" (damned)
"Mist" (crap = not too bad hit)
"Scheiße" (shit)
"Verflucht" (cursed)
"Oh nein" (oh no)

Regards,
Simon
The Sheisse interjection is often repeated three times i.e.Sheisse, Sheisse, Sheisse! (Pronounced shy-zah.)

ManfredV

Post by ManfredV » 27 Jul 2017, 14:42

No german says "Himmel"?
But this:
"Himmel, Arsch und Zwirn" (Heaven, arse and yarn)
"Himmel, Arsch und Wolkenbruch" (Heaven, arse and cloudburst)
and some more:
"Kruzifix" (crucifix) or in Bavarian "Zefix", or "Zefix halleluja"
"Leck mich" or "leck mich am Arsch" (lick my arse), or Bavarian "jo mi leckts am Arsch"
"Kruzitürken" ( not easy to translate, a mixtrure of "crucifix" and "Turks")
"Jessmarandjosef" (Bavarian, a malapropism of Jesus, Mary and Josef)
"Heiligs Blechle" (Swabian, literally: "Holy tinplate")
I don't know if Hitler cursed, but as a common "redneck" from Upper Austria who served in Bavarian army he must have known many of these bavarian curses.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”