German soldiers with english names?

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
history1
Banned

Re: German soldiers with english names?

Post by history1 » 22 Sep 2014, 08:44

ylla wrote:Was there any german troops with the last name Jones ?
Nachname: Jones
Vorname: Hermann
Dienstgrad: Kanonier
Geburtsdatum: 24.06.1926
Geburtsort: Leverkusen-Bärsig
Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 14.10.1944
Todes-/Vermisstenort: nicht verzeichnet

All the above soldiers posted by Peter are, like mine, from the war grave registry of the Volksbund.
I found 14 other soldiers or relatives of them (unsure as only initials are given) with the last name Jones, but all belonged to UK troops and are burried at the Cologne War Cemetery at the Südfriedhof (Southern Cemetary), managed by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. The city was occupied by UK troops from 1919 to 1926.

alycatz
Banned

Post by alycatz » 22 Sep 2014, 09:37

Thank you.

Im the original thread starter, but I tried 100 times too log on. So don't know what has happened . My old account is still listed as active.

So the german soldier you listed was born in Germany to german mother and English father (jones) ?

I ask this question, because my ancestry is from England and my last name is Jones. I find it interesting that German soldiers have english last names, partially the last name Jones.

Many thanks.
aly

Jani

Post by Jani » 22 Sep 2014, 15:28

I know there were some Germans with the name Thomas, such as Dr. Max Thomas of the SS. Its seems like one of those pan European names like Martin.

alycatz
Banned

Post by alycatz » 22 Sep 2014, 16:47

Many thanks jani.

Its just weird, german soldiers with full english names. I wonder if they hid thier english names from thier german peers ?
aly

Ste

Post by Ste » 22 Sep 2014, 18:58

Douglas Pitcairn
15.2.1913 - 12.10.2008
Copy-paste from: http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/archive/i ... -3632.html

According to the book "Polesti," authored by Dugan & Stewart (Randon House-1962) p.88, "Pitcairn of Perthshire was descended from a Scottish Protestant clan which had emigrated to East Prussia in 1830 after religious quarrels with Catholic neighbors. One of his ancestors was the midshipman who first sighted Pitcairn Island, the haven of H.M.S. Bounty's mutineers. The German Pitcairn had grown up in Memel, joined the revived German air force in the early thirties, and was secretly trained as a fighter pilot in Gerstenberg's school in Lipetsk in the Soviet Union. He entered combat in 1936 with a Henkel 51 squadron flying for Franco and his first enemy aircraft destroyed was a U.S.-built Curtis, piloted by a French volunteer fo the Loyalists." When I visited with him in his home in Jul 1969, he told me he had flown in the same unit in WW2 as did Manfred von Richthofen, popularly known as the "Red Baron," did in WW1. At the time of our visit, he was a liaison officer with the USAFE. He also mentioned that an injury during the war kept him from being awarded the Iron Cross by Hitler. I have not had any contact with him since.

Ste

Post by Ste » 22 Sep 2014, 19:01

Another one could be this man:
SS-Grenadier Georg Boothby, born 1926 in Hamburg, was in the Stab of the 12.SS-Panzerdivision and went missing from August/September 1944.
According to this site http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Boothby the surname may came from the Lincolnshire.

alycatz
Banned

Post by alycatz » 22 Sep 2014, 23:31

Hello many thanks,

Were all these german soldiers, with english names, were fathered by english soliders that took a german city after WWI?
aly

Ste

Post by Ste » 23 Sep 2014, 16:51

Just a couple of other examples:

Nachname: Taylor
Vorname: Alwin
Dienstgrad: Gefreiter
Geburtsdatum: 10.11.1923
Geburtsort: Forst
Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 05.02.1944
Todes-/Vermisstenort: Gosslershausen/Ostpr. Kath.Friedh.A.

Nachname: Taylor
Vorname: Charly
Dienstgrad: Gefreiter
Geburtsdatum: 1924
Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 08.1945
Todes-/Vermisstenort: Hosp.3103 Marienwerder/Wpr.

Nachname: Harris
Vorname: Herbert
Dienstgrad: Soldat
Geburtsdatum: 29.12.1926
Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 27.09.1944

And you can find also some others with surnames Charles,Williams,Wilson,Johnson,Robinson,Walker,Hall etc etc.....

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 24 Sep 2014, 00:31

Back in 1975 on my first trip to Germany I visited a cemetery somewhere on the Western side of the Wall and was surprised to find a sort of walkway with row upon row of graves of officers (it wasn't the Invalidenfriedhof - I couldn't find that at the time). What surprised me was that the graves represented officers who had served in battles back to Napoleonic times and more than one had non-German sounding names. A number had British names including half a dozen named Campbell. Some of theses Campbells had served in the German army in the First World War (and earlier). I could only surmise that the family were probably career soldiers/mercenaries and had settled in a country that offered them pretty good employment prospects.
Kein Irrtum ist so groß, der nicht seinen Zuhörer hat.

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 24 Sep 2014, 08:47

alycatz wrote:[...] So the german soldier you listed was born in Germany to german mother and English father (jones) ?
[...]
I assume so.
Even Smith are between them, examples:
Nachname: Smith
Vorname: Johann-Peter
Dienstgrad: Obergefreiter
Geburtsdatum: 09.05.1905
Geburtsort: Hamburg
Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 05.04.1945
Todes-/Vermisstenort: nicht verzeichnet

Vorname: Arne
Dienstgrad: Untersturmführer
Geburtsdatum: 23.04.1922
Geburtsort: Sauda
Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 15.08.1944
Todes-/Vermisstenort: Jasienica

Vorname: Antonius
Dienstgrad: Grenadier
Geburtsdatum: 11.03.1924
Geburtsort: Amsterdam
Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 30.03.1944
Todes-/Vermisstenort: Narwa, Ost
Source: http://www.volksbund.de/graebersuche.html
You should take a look at the Volksbund grave search database.

alycatz
Banned

Post by alycatz » 24 Sep 2014, 09:39

Many thanks too all. Thank you for your stories.

Im shocked to find so many english names in within german soldiers. Thats only German soldiers with English fathers, there would had been german soldiers with english mothers.... But thats harder to find, because the soldiers would had taken german fathers last name. Anyone know anymore on this?

Also, so for being a pain, were there any german soldiers with the last name Moody?
aly

LWD

Post by LWD » 24 Sep 2014, 19:14

They could also be German soldiers with grandfathers or great grandfathers, etc who were English or at least had "English" last names.

thomroy

Post by thomroy » 27 Sep 2014, 20:29

There was a Luftwaffe officer that shared my last name who was named Eckhard Christian. The surname "Christian" originated from the Isle of Man.

alycatz
Banned

Post by alycatz » 29 Sep 2014, 04:14

Were german soldiers (with english names) seen or viewed as emenies, or treated fairly the same?

I know in england, Churchill rounded up germans and placed them in camps or sent them home to Germany... Just wondering if it was the same case in Germany.?

We all know english and germans had nic names for each other; such as Tommy, kraut, Island monkey and jerry.

Many thanks.
aly

Sam Wren

Post by Sam Wren » 03 Oct 2014, 05:09

I think the Germans viewed their fellow soldiers with Anglo-Celtic names the same way that we Americans viewed our General Eisenhower, Admiral Nimitz and others of German and Italian descent, especially if they had been born in Germany and their family had been present for at least a few generations, spoke German and/or the local dialect with no accent and acted German.

To me it is a bit puzzling the surprise that there were German soldiers with English names. When most people think of immigration during the last several centuries, they generally think of the large waves of European immigration to North America and South America, but there are myriads of reasons that one might choose to move to another country whether it be for employment, education, love, religion, or adventure and, while I have been unable to unearth any data on immigration numbers between European countries prior to WWII, my first instinct would not be to think that encountering people with foreign surnames would be an ultra-rarity in pre-war Europe. Just off the top of my head I can think of officers in the Wehrmacht who were to my knowledge German-born (not foreign volunteers) with Italian, French and Swedish surnames. There are others that I know of with Hungarian, Russian and Rumanian surnames but these are all Volksdeutsch (which is a different can of worms). But perhaps, being American living in Texas where large German & Moravian communities settled during the 19th century, my viewpoint is skewed by the overabundance of people who do not have Anglo-Celtic surnames.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”