The Thailand Ambassador was Hitler's Last Visitor?

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Pinot

The Thailand Ambassador was Hitler's Last Visitor?

Post by Pinot » 01 Jul 2016, 09:44

I'm new so let me apologize if I'm posting in the wrong place. I'm an American expat living in Thailand and have always had an interest in WWII. I was watching this show on the Reich Chancellery and Hitler's bunker when I was floored with the information that was presented. The last official visitor to see Hitler was the Thailand Ambassador? I have found no other information about this fact and was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this. What was the Thai Ambassador doing in Hitler's bunker as the Russians were closing in? Delivering Pad Thai takeout?

GregSingh

Re: The Thailand Ambassador was Hitler's Last Visitor?

Post by GregSingh » 01 Jul 2016, 11:29

:welcome:

Kingdom of Thailand was still an ally of Germany, so most likely ambassador delivered congratulations on the occasion of AH birthday.

Boby

Post by Boby » 12 Jul 2016, 14:03

No. Last foreign visitor was Quisling on 28 January.

FranzJ

Post by FranzJ » 31 Jul 2016, 03:57

Japanese forces began occupying Thailand on the morning of December 8, 1941. Resistance to the Japanese invaders was swift but Field Marshal Luang Phibunsongkhram, the prime minister, ordered the cessation of resistance. On December 21, an assistance treaty with Japan was signed. The Thai Phayap Army invaded British Burma alongside the Japanese, and on January 25, 1942, Thailand declared war on Britain and the United States of America. The Thai ambassador to the United States, Seni Pramoj did not deliver his copy of the declaration of war, so although the British reciprocated by declaring war on Thailand and consequently considered it a hostile country, the U.S. did not. The Seri Thai was established during these first few months. Thai forces conducted their biggest offensive of the war in May 1942, taking Kengtung in northern Burma from the Chinese 93rd Army.

Parallel Seri Thai organizations were established in Britain and inside Thailand. Queen Ramphaiphanee was the nominal head of the Britain-based organization, and Pridi Phanomyong, then regent, headed its largest contingent. Aided by the military, secret airfields and training camps were established while Allied agents fluidly slipped in and out of the country.

As the war dragged on, the Thai population came to resent the Japanese presence. In June 1944, Phibun was overthrown in a coup engineered by the Seri Thai. The new civilian government attempted to aid the Seri Thai while at the same time maintaining cordial relations with the Japanese.

After the war, U.S. influence prevented Thailand being treated as an Axis country, but Britain demanded three million tons of rice as reparations and the return of areas annexed from the British colony of Malaya during the war and invasion. Thailand also had to return the portions of British Burma, French Cambodia and French Laos that had been taken.

-- New World Encyclopedia

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 11 Aug 2016, 18:48

What was the name of the ambassador and where was the Thai embassy located? Any photos of him? Any details of the visit?

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 12 Aug 2016, 03:09

In 1943 and before address was Berlin C2, Neuer Markt 8-12.
But March 1945 aerial photos show building already bombed.
Neuer Markt 8-12.jpg
Berlin C2, Neuer Markt 8-12 - March 1945

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 13 Aug 2016, 07:17

Boby wrote:No. Last foreign visitor was Quisling on 28 January.
The Thai ambassador visited on April 20th. The guest book (which still exists) for the Reich Chancellery proves it.

Boby

Post by Boby » 13 Aug 2016, 10:16

This is very unlikely. No one mentioned it in his post-war memoirs. Such an exotic visit would have been a sensation. As for the guest-Book, my understanding is that only covered the First half of April (1.-15.).

But who has seen it? Where is located?

Wisarut

Post by Wisarut » 13 Aug 2016, 21:18

Balrog wrote:What was the name of the ambassador and where was the Thai embassy located? Any photos of him? Any details of the visit?
Maj General Phra PrasartPhitthayayut (Wan Choothin) who had been assigned by PM Plaek Phibunsonggram as Ambassador of Thailand after the Purge of 1939. After visiting Hitler, he had been arrested by Red Army and been sent to the frigidly POW Camp in Suburb of Moscow for 7 Months before being released back to Thailand after the status of War has been terminated on 1 January 1946. He died due to cirrhosis on 4 December 1949 since he was a heavy drinker to the point that he has made his own brewery in the wooden barrels at home.
https://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%B8%9E ... %E0%B8%99)

BTW, Maj General Phra PrasartPhitthayayut (Wan Choothin) has graduated from Army Military Academy of Siam in 1911 after 3 years of study before becoming scholarship student to study in Prussia ... and he was a member of People party (Military faction) that brought 1932 revolution.

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 14 Aug 2016, 03:10

The members of this site never fail to impress me. Thank you so much.

Now, another question. Did General Phra Prasart Phitthayayut ever write about his final meeting with Hitler. It sounds like he must have spoken German extremely well. Visiting Hitler in the last days was pretty bold. I suspect most people would have avoided making that journey if they didn't have to. This general sounds really interesting.

Do you have any other photos of him?

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 14 Aug 2016, 06:28

I attached pages for those who have problem watching video.

You can see that just before 20th of April 1945, Yong Pholabun from Kingdom of Thailand embassy visited AH.

Then on the 20th we have:

Vizeadmiral K. Atz ?,
Sea captain - Y. Taniguchi ?
Allah Chan, Afghanistan envoy
Botschaftsrat Kawahara ?
Prasat Chuthin, Kingdom of Thailand envoy
Visitors book 1.jpg
Visitors book 1
Visitors book 2.jpg
Visitors book 2
Prasat Chuthin.jpg
Prasat Chuthin
Prasat Chuthin.jpg (23.82 KiB) Viewed 8210 times

Boby

Post by Boby » 14 Aug 2016, 09:32

What is this source? This is Linge appointment Book?

No, this seems more a list of people congratulating the Führer for his birthday than a real visit to the Bunker. I would be nice to see the complete page for this day, perhaps there was a separate entries for telegrams, etc

Any have Domarus to check?

Boby

Post by Boby » 14 Aug 2016, 09:36

I don't notice wisarut message. Very interesting, this changes everything.

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 14 Aug 2016, 09:51

He was Ambassador to Germany from 1939-1945. Amazing!

Did this general write any memoirs?

I can't find much about him in English...

Wisarut

Post by Wisarut » 15 Aug 2016, 13:55

Balrog wrote:The members of this site never fail to impress me. Thank you so much. It sounds like he must have spoken German extremely well. Visiting Hitler in the last days was pretty bold. I suspect most people would have avoided making that journey if they didn't have to. This general sounds really interesting.

Do you have any other photos of him?
He has been studied in Prussian Military Academy along with Gen Phraya Phahon-Pholphayuhasena (Phot Phahonyothin) so he has to master in German for sure.

the known memoir written by Phra Prasatphitthayayut is about the 24 June 1932 revolution though
https://th.wikisource.org/wiki/%E0%B8%9 ... D%E0%B8%87

Another known memoir written by Phra Prasatphitthayayut is 225 Days in Russian Prison published in the crematorium tome of his wife (Ms.
Prasart Phitthayayut (Naw Choothin)) in November 1948.
https://www.facebook.com/RareBooksStore ... 9161006731

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”