Train collision in Assling, Gemany

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Inman54

Train collision in Assling, Gemany

Post by Inman54 » 15 Oct 2016, 21:59

On July 17, 1945 trains collided in this town and 96 German soldiers died. It was (and is) one of the most tragic in German history. The soldiers were prisoners of war who were being returned to their homeland. A memorial exists in the town.

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM2Q ... ng_Germany

Does anyone have knowledge of this accident or know of a relative that was killed?
I am looking for an officer who was stationed in northern Greece,,,either Salonika or Kavala who was one of the victims. I do not know his name but he may have been a military dentist. Even a list of the names might be useful.
You can communicate through: [email protected]

Thank you!

Scorpio

Re: Train collision in Assling, Gemany

Post by Scorpio » 27 Oct 2016, 07:35

Hello Inman!

I have something found out in the archives of the local newspapers and broadcasting station.

On July 16 1945 a train with about 1200 POW's left the POW-Camp Bad Aibling to Hannover, where they're should be demobilized. Between Assling and Grafing the train stopped due to a damaged powerline (the railroad track was already electrified). At 9.40 pm - it was rainy - a freight train with US-tanks loaded crushed into the first train. 95 (96?) german and one GI were killed immediately, some injured german soldiers died the next days after - the whole number of the deaths varies between 102 -110 victims.
96 of them were buried at a german war cemetery in Oberelkofen (meanwhile a district of Grafing) 2 miles away, 4 of them couldn't be identified until now. Because the chaotic conditions and very high day temperature the deaths had been buried fast as possible - also the clearance and recommissioning of the rail track had highest priority.
Another problem with identification: A surviving POW said, in the POW Camp Bad Aibling all inmates were forced to cut off their insignias like rank badges etc., so only the dog tags remains, if they weared one.

I have found some photos of the accident, taken by an unknown GI. If my upload fails, I can send them via email if you want.

Also I found a link to the war cemetary Oberelkofen, but it does work anymore - but it's barely an hour away from me, maybe I will get there the next weeks and organize a list of all names.

Greetings
Si vis pacem para bellum

Scorpio

Re: Train collision in Assling, Gemany

Post by Scorpio » 27 Oct 2016, 08:20

1979356464-bild-grauens-soldaten-zivilisten-ungluecksstelle-elkofen-foto-volksbund-deutsche-kriegsgraeberfuerso-OmDI.jpg
1979356464-bild-grauens-soldaten-zivilisten-ungluecksstelle-elkofen-foto-volksbund-deutsche-kriegsgraeberfuerso-OmDI.jpg (119.75 KiB) Viewed 896 times
860x860.jpeg
940x528.jpeg
940x528.jpeg (122.25 KiB) Viewed 896 times
860x860-1.jpeg
Si vis pacem para bellum

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”