Recent Berlin Trip

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
jamesharley

Recent Berlin Trip

Post by jamesharley » 12 Dec 2016, 23:33

I tried getting my old user name and P/W to work but no luck...so I created a new one. I've got a few questions and I am hoping some of you can help.

Not too long ago I had chance to spend 4 days in Berlin. Strictly as a vacation with a group of friends but, thankfully, I had access to a car. We were all on a quest for WWII sites and museums. I took the month of advance notice to plan out some stops. My ideas of places to go differed from some of the people I was with so there were quite a few places I had to see at night. It was still a great trip...and thanks to Geoff's site it was easy to track down many locations quickly. I hope you don't mind Geoff but I used a few of your photos for my "then and now" that aren't for publication.

My question regards Shirer's reference to "The Tavern" restaurant. I visited many sites that Shirer mentions in his books but this one eluded me. Does anyone know where in Berlin it was located?

I have read the reviews of his work on this forum and as mixed as they are, I like him. I would have loved a chance to talk to him. I have posted below several then and now shots, again thanks to Third Reich in Ruins.

Thanks!

Jim Harley

This was right across from our hotel

P4NZ3R

Re: Recent Berlin Trip

Post by P4NZ3R » 04 May 2020, 10:56

For your next Berlin trip you should check out Humboldthain and Friedrichshain. These are parks in which the Nazis built huge bunker (Hochbunker/Flakturm) with anti air guns(Flak) on top of them. After the war they got demolished by the allies but they didnt manage to completely destroy them and covered them up with rubble and bricks from the destroyed houses. In Friedrichshain you can still see some parts looking out of the ground but all entrances are closed. In Humboldthain a big part is still visible and you can go on top of it and enjoy a great view of the rooftops of the city. I think it is possible to do a guided tour into it but I havent done it yet.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 04 May 2020, 13:26

Not so recent Berlin trip.... Dec 2016

Anyway there was unanswered question - Willy Lehmann's "Taverne" Deutsch-Italienisch Restaurant was located at Kurfürstenstraße 124.
Building did not survive the war. It was at the corner with Courbière Str. which also does not exist.
These days area could be located as being on the corner with An der Urania.

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 04 May 2020, 15:52

A great set of comparison photos, Jim -- thanks so much for sharing them with us!!

Do stay safe,

Br. James

dgfred

Post by dgfred » 04 May 2020, 17:40

Nice... thanks for the pics.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”