Occupation of Mont Saint-Michel

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
CameronW

Occupation of Mont Saint-Michel

Post by CameronW » 20 Mar 2017, 23:10

During the German invasion of France and its ensuring occupation what uses did the Germans partake or consider making the abbey of. I've heard unconfirmed reports of usage as an ammunition depot to the storage of V2 rockets but no deep evidence to back them up. Did they loot the abbey and its confines or was it retained for the clergy? Was their any significant wartime damage that occurred in connection with Hitler's orders to demolish key Paris landmarks in August 1944?

Prosper Vandenbroucke

Re: Occupation of Mont Saint-Michel

Post by Prosper Vandenbroucke » 21 Mar 2017, 16:32

Hello CameronW
The “Mont Saint Michel’’ was not occupied by the german forces during WWII.
The tree (3) first german soldiers were officers and arrived on the 20th of june 1940 by driving a car.
They only made some auctions and went back.
The following morning tree (3) other officers (medic’s) came to the ‘’Mont St Michel’’ to visit the abbay.
It was only a few days later that the germans set up a control post with a antenna to survey the approach of enemy aircrafts in the highest tower of the Abbay. This control post was in liaison by cable to a radiocar which was parked in front of the Hotel “La Mère Poulard’’
After a couple of weeks this control post was moved into a wooden barrack on the west side. Only five (5) men stood there. It were Austrians
According with the ‘’Commission Allemande d’Armistice’’ the ‘’Mont St Michel’’ was preserved as a historical monument.
The ‘’Mont St Michel’’ himself had a small strategical importance and the germans came only as tourists.
In 8 months, 70.000 german soldiers (including officers) visit the ‘’Mont St Michel’’
At the end of the war they where 325.000 to have make a visit of the ‘’Mont St. Michel’’

https://www.wikimanche.fr/Occupation_al ... 1940-1944)

Have also a look over her:
http://www.christopherlong.co.uk/pub/msmoccupation.html

Kindly regards and very sorry for my poor English translation.
Prosper :wink: :wink:
Last edited by Prosper Vandenbroucke on 22 Mar 2017, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen_Rynerson

Post by Stephen_Rynerson » 22 Mar 2017, 05:17

CameronW wrote:During the German invasion of France and its ensuring occupation what uses did the Germans partake or consider making the abbey of. I've heard unconfirmed reports of usage as an ammunition depot to the storage of V2 rockets but no deep evidence to back them up.
I don't have any great scholarly insight into the question, but I will say that having stayed on the island and visited the abbey, I would be extremely skeptical of any claims that V-2 rockets were ever stored there simply because of how narrow the streets are combined with the steep hillsides.

This overhead view at low tide gives you a good feel for how cramped and rugged the island is: https://media1.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/ ... 0-1000.jpg

CameronW

Post by CameronW » 28 Mar 2017, 07:02

Thanks gentlemen, I doubt any obscene rumors would be truthful in this case as would other fantasies. However I'd be quite interested in finding out if any artwork or valuables were looted during the course of the war. I recently watched the film "Monuments Men" and this gave me an insight into similar events. From the American perspective Vandenbroucke's claim is quite clear "there will be no troops in Mont Saint- Michel."

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/23 ... 47d3a8.jpg

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”