Cremation

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Ianus

Cremation

Post by Ianus » 24 Mar 2018, 06:50

Besides the Holocaust and the bodies of Hitler and Eva Braun, did the Nazis (or the Germans living under them) practice cremation for the deceased? Sorry if this has already been asked before.

ManfredV

Re: Cremation

Post by ManfredV » 26 Mar 2018, 15:58

For centuries cremation was forbidden in Germany because it was regarded as unchristian. But it was allowed in Kaiserreich and crematoriums were opened since the 1870ies. Especially many physicians, social democrats and atheists campaigned for it.
Number of cremations increased, but I don't have data for 1930/40ies. Both inhumation burials and cremations are common in Germany.
Today we have about 60 % cremations. In Northern and Eastern Germany cremations are prefered (about 80% in East Germany) but burials in Southern Germany.

ihoyos

Post by ihoyos » 26 Mar 2018, 22:09

Marshall Rommel was cremated, grave contens only ashes. May be that way no remain traces of poison, can be found. After his death his family was allowed cast a death mask , and inmediatelly cremated.

Ianus

Post by Ianus » 27 Mar 2018, 18:35

ManfredV wrote:For centuries cremation was forbidden in Germany because it was regarded as unchristian. But it was allowed in Kaiserreich and crematoriums were opened since the 1870ies. Especially many physicians, social democrats and atheists campaigned for it.
Number of cremations increased, but I don't have data for 1930/40ies. Both inhumation burials and cremations are common in Germany.
Today we have about 60 % cremations. In Northern and Eastern Germany cremations are prefered (about 80% in East Germany) but burials in Southern Germany.
Thanks, that'll make for a good starting point for my studies. I never understood why Christianity advocated burial. Sentimentality? Hopes of a resurrection? In any case, seems like Germany's moving in a good hygienic direction in this regard. Which one costs more?
ihoyos wrote:Marshall Rommel was cremated, grave contens only ashes. May be that way no remain traces of poison, can be found. After his death his family was allowed cast a death mask , and inmediatelly cremated.
Ah I forgot about Rommel's situation, thanks for reminding me.

ManfredV

Post by ManfredV » 28 Mar 2018, 08:15

Cremation is cheaper. Graves are expensive esp. in larger towns.
Hygiene isn't a real argument.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”