Dehomag (IBM) Tabelliermaschine? Photos?

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
ArmchairSamurai

Dehomag (IBM) Tabelliermaschine? Photos?

Post by ArmchairSamurai » 30 Apr 2018, 03:35

Hello. For some time now I have been searching for any period photographic evidence of the Dehomag (IBM) Tabelliermaschine used to process census data within the Third Reich; I bet for sinister ulterior motives too, i.e. to record demographics of "Untermensch" in Germany. It's been labeled as Dehomag D11 tabulator, Hollerith Kartensortiermaschine or even simply Hollerith D-11. About the only photograph I can find of the device is that of a model on display at the Holocaust museum in Washington D.C. Does anybody have any leads? Thanks in advance.
There are three sorts of people; those who are alive, those who are dead, and those who are at sea.

Max

Re: Dehomag (IBM) Tabelliermaschine? Photos?

Post by Max » 30 Apr 2018, 04:15

Image from the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum

TABULATOR
https://collections.ushmm.org/search/catalog/irn521586

SORTER

A Scheutz Calculating Engine

http://www2.iath.virginia.edu/holocaust/infotech.html
The text below the images may give some more leads.
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

ArmchairSamurai

Post by ArmchairSamurai » 30 Apr 2018, 04:54

Thanks max, I really appreciate it, but that is the exact photograph I was speaking of---as a matter of fact, from the exact source I mentioned--although the second source is welcome for information's sake. Do you know of any period photographs?
There are three sorts of people; those who are alive, those who are dead, and those who are at sea.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 30 Apr 2018, 05:45

These devices were widely used, so lots of photos are available. Just search for Dehomag D11 at google.de
Not sure what you're exactly looking for? Different angles or better close ups?
They all look the same only difference I see are different colors of outside covering panels...

ArmchairSamurai

Post by ArmchairSamurai » 30 Apr 2018, 21:49

"[...] Just search for Dehomag D11 at google.de
Not sure what you're exactly looking for? Different angles or better close ups?..."

Hello Greg; not to be rude, but if I could find a photograph of the machine myself, I would not be inquiring the forum for leads. :lol:
What I mean by a period photograph is one from the time of its use, so 1930s and 1940s via the Reichssicherheitshauptamt, not of a photograph of a museum piece. Google has been reluctant in revealing anything substantial, even when tuned to more advanced search settings (i.e. color: black and white and type: photograph). I even tried reverse searching a photograph of the model (being held at the D.C. Holocaust museum that I originally mentioned) to maybe find something similar but to no avail. It's turning out to be very elusive, hence why I turned to the forum.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 01 May 2018, 12:41

What I mean by a period photograph is one from the time of its use, so 1930s and 1940s via the Reichssicherheitshauptamt, not of a photograph of a museum piece
I'm not sure Reichssicherheitshauptamt actually owned any, most likely they used those in Das Statistische Reichsamt (StRA).
Anyway here is the photo of Hollerith D11 tabulating machine being presented in Vienna Statistics Office on 10th of May 1939 before German Census of 17th May 1939. Source of the photo: Austrian National Library.
Hollerith.jpg

Max

Post by Max » 01 May 2018, 14:46

ArmchairSamurai wrote:Hello. For some time now I have been searching for any period photographic evidence of the Dehomag (IBM) Tabelliermaschine used to process census data within the Third Reich; I bet for sinister ulterior motives too, i.e. to record demographics of "Untermensch" in Germany.
Not what you asked for , but interesting

The possibility of processing data recorded with perforated cards found a sad confirmation in Nazi Germany. The invention of IBM has allowed the Germans to cataloging their citizens extremely efficiently, which has had tragic consequences for people of Jewish origin.

In recognition of the significant IBM's share, including infringement in 1937, the founder of Thomas Watson received the medal "for Merit for the Reich" by Adolf Hitler. [Microsoft Translator]

https://gadzetomania.pl/9300,nosniki-da ... e-ibm-cz-2

BUT no doubt you have also read this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_and_the_Holocaust
AND
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:IBM_ ... _Holocaust
AND
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:IBM_ ... /Archive_1

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 02 May 2018, 03:23

Hi Max, that Wikipedia article is about Edwin Black's book, not historical research about IBM's involvement...

ArmchairSamurai

Post by ArmchairSamurai » 02 May 2018, 04:54

Hello Greg; thank you very, very much, that photograph is exactly what I was looking for!! :D
Yeah, I honestly was not sure who would have been responsible for recording census data in Germany after the Weimar Republic fizzled out and the NSDAP seized power; so I initially guessed the RSHA, considering its association with the SiPo and Kripo (among other agencies). It was a stretch, I admit. There are so many administrative bodies in the Third Reich, it's hard to keep track of all of them sometimes.

Hello Max; I appreciate the additional information, even if it's not what I was looking for. I will look it all over and add it to my archive if it's worth keeping.

Max

Post by Max » 02 May 2018, 11:31

GregSingh wrote:Hi Max, that Wikipedia article is about Edwin Black's book, not historical research about IBM's involvement...
Hi Greg
I take your point, but I took the Wiki article to be a review/critique of a book that purports to be historical research.
Read the book/historical research - read the critique -Wiki -especially the "Talk"
I guess that my post was more for those with a general interest in the subject rather than the more specific requirements of ArmchairSamurai
Cheers

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”