Where was Hitler standing at the Führerbunker in relation to today?

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
JamesM101

Where was Hitler standing at the Führerbunker in relation to today?

Post by JamesM101 » 12 Jun 2018, 14:57

I'm trying to figure out where this took place in relation to today at the Führerbunker...

Sorry if this is in the wrong section!
Attachments
HITLER-YOUTH-1945-UNCENSORED-HISTORY-001.jpg
P1060126.jpg
Berlin_-_Fuhrerbunker_(then_and_now)_-_panoramio.jpg
tumblr_n29qju3vJU1rjssvvo3_r1_1280.jpg
tumblr_n29qju3vJU1rjssvvo3_r1_1280.jpg (56.12 KiB) Viewed 5951 times

Br. James

Re: Where was Hitler standing at the Führerbunker in relation to today?

Post by Br. James » 12 Jun 2018, 18:58

In the top photo, Hitler and Reichsjugendführer Artur Axmann greet 20 HJ and DJ boys in the Chancellery Garden as they stood with their backs against the retaining wall of the large terrace outside of Hitler's office windows in the New Reichschancellery building. In the bottom photo, the group stand facing the retaining wall of Hitler's office terrace, with part of the central fountain and the greenhouse (also shown as the "Winter Garden" on some maps) in the Chancellery Garden shown in the background. This event, which took place on Hitler's birthday -- April 20, 1945 -- was the occasion when all of these boys were honored by receiving the Iron Cross 2nd Class for their bravery in defense of Fortress Berlin. The newsreel film of this event can be seen here: https://collections.ushmm.org/search/catalog/irn1004475 .

Br. James

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 13 Jun 2018, 02:04

Well here's my two bob's worth. If you look at the top photo from Google Earth - assuming I post them in the right order - you will see a green line. That is the orientation of the former Propaganda Ministry wing (today a school). It points to An der Kolonnade ( a street which didn't exist pre-war and is marked in blue). If you cross the street to where the red line is, the first part of An der Kolonnade points pretty much to the back of the Chancellery, roughly outside Hitler's office where the award ceremony took place. What makes me think this? Have a look at the second photo which I found on Pinterest and you will see an overlay of the Chancellery and the current buildings. You should see that the line of An der Kolonnade points to the area in question, I believe. The third photo shows the area today, i.e. directly under the big red cross in the Google Earth photo. I have additional photos of the area taken last year and a short camera clip but if anyone wants to see the clip it's too large to post so you'll have to PM me. I welcome any discussion on this question.
Attachments
An der 2.jpg
An der 6.jpg
An der 4.jpg
This is what it looked like last year
Kein Irrtum ist so groß, der nicht seinen Zuhörer hat.

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 13 Jun 2018, 02:06

Bugger it! Wrong order: just transpose the first and second photos.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 13 Jun 2018, 03:38

Thanks for that WONDERFUL analysis, Gary! I have never known, in relation to today's terrain, where that ceremony took place.

But I've read conflicting dates for this HJ awards ceremony. I've read in books, as Br. James said, that it was 20 April. I've also read it was 20 March. The USHMM at Br. James' link says the film was 22 March. But this event was reported in a Berlin newspaper as being on 19 March (I wish I knew which paper this was in ... I hope someone posts the correct source in this thread!). I'm thinking there was only one such ceremony, and it was on 19 March ...

And welcome to AHF, JamesM101!
:welcome:

Geoff
Attachments
AH_HJ_ceremony19Mar1945.jpg
I wish I knew the source of this .. I don't even remember where I got this image.
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 13 Jun 2018, 04:42

Too kind, Geoff! I did see a discussion piece about the date somewhere on the Internet. If I can find it I'll send a link.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 13 Jun 2018, 08:39

Not sure about a Berlin's newspaper, but the same text appeared in 20th March edition of Leipziger neueste Nachrichten.
Leipziger neueste Nachrichten p1 20.03.45.jpg

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 13 Jun 2018, 15:11

I'm sure it's of interest to know when this award ceremony in the Chancellery Garden took place -- March 19th or March 20th or March 22nd or April 20th -- but the original question posed by JamesM101 was: "...where this took place in relation to today at the Führerbunker...?" Given the detail of the Wochenschau newsreel clip linked above, there is no doubt as to where that was.

Br. James

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”