Help with grandfather's photos. Any info, please!

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Volyn
Member
Posts: 444
Joined: 04 Jul 2018 04:53
Location: USA

Re: Help with grandfather's photos. Any info, please!

Post by Volyn » 23 Jan 2019 00:21

history1 wrote:
22 Jan 2019 22:27
Maybe this discussion is only because our countries and cultures are too different?
I agree, as for the rest of your post it belongs in a separate thread, please post it in the Lounge, I believe that would be a more suitable venue for it.
history1 wrote:
22 Jan 2019 21:32
YOU suggest that they should buy those awards which he didn´t receive because he did qualify for.
You say that I suggest wbfamily buy these items, I do nothing but assist in whatever way I can be helpful, if they need guidance I am happy to help.

Let us take another look at this uniform photo below, the image is poor quality but it appears that there are 2 different ribbons - The War Merit Cross 2nd Class with Swords (Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse mit Schwertern) and the Eastern Front Medal (Ostmedaille). There is a faded thin line that could be the center of the Ost ribbon just to the right of the KVK2 ribbon. It is the same proximal distance that this ribbon bar example demonstrates, which is very strong evidence that it is there.
2er.jpg
If we look at the ribbons and how they are placed over the left pocket, you can see that the ribbon bar is correctly aligned over the center of the button. The pocket flap is also slightly angled because he is seated in this photo. Also, he is the rank of a Feldwebel at the time that this photo was taken, possibly in the late-Summer or early-Fall of 1942 based on the uniform tunic that he is wearing, am I correct? Later he would be promoted to Oberfeldwebel.

Most likely he was recently awarded both medals then had his photo taken. You can also see how emaciated he is, definitely the veteran look of someone who endured the Winter struggles of 1941/42 and the Spring battles of 1942.
Oberfeldwebel Walter Beynun - 1 OCT 1938 - 8 MAY 1945.jpg
With all of this evidence in-hand, you are mad about which medal that was purchased so far?

1. Is it the 4-year medal because he served for 6.5 years?
2. Is it the West Wall Medal that was given to every soldier who was stationed on the border with France for 3 weeks prior to the invasion of May 1940?
3. The General Assault Badge?
4. The Kuban Shield? Is there a reason why he should not have this, he only needed 60 days?

wbfamily already acknowledged that the wound badge was incorrect and needed to be replaced, which is why I assisted to prevent unnecessary errors.

I am relying on facts and I present the case clearly, you are sitting on the sideline saying: "He can't have!"

Show us how he is not eligible, but you cannot, you always go back to "paybook or certificates". We have already established that those documents are necessary for official government recognition, but this is Axis History Forum. I do not believe that there is an issue with trying to help a family learn more about a very important part of their family history, how they choose to recognize it is their choice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Volyn on 23 Jan 2019 20:38, edited 1 time in total.

wbfamily
Member
Posts: 78
Joined: 09 May 2015 20:06
Location: United States

Re: Help with grandfather's photos. Any info, please!

Post by wbfamily » 23 Jan 2019 20:11

Volyn wrote:
23 Jan 2019 00:21
history1 wrote:
22 Jan 2019 22:27
Maybe this discussion is only because our countries and cultures are too different?
I agree, as for the rest of your post it belongs in a separate thread, please post it in the Lounge, I believe that would be a more suitable venue for it.
history1 wrote:
22 Jan 2019 21:32
YOU suggest that they should buy those awards which he didn´t receive because he did qualify for.
You say that I suggest wbfamily buy these items, I do nothing but assist in whatever way I can be helpful, if they need guidance I am happy to help.

Let us take another look at this uniform photo below, the image is poor quality but it appears that there are 2 different ribbons - The War Merit Cross 2nd Class with Swords (Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse mit Schwertern) and the Eastern Front Medal (Ostmedaille). There is a faded thin line that could be the center of the Ost ribbon just to the right of the KVK2 ribbon. It is the same proximal distance that this ribbon bar example demonstrates, which is very strong evidence that it is there. 2er.jpg

If we look at the ribbons and how they are placed over the left tunic, you can see that the ribbon bar is correctly aligned over the center of the button. The pocket flap is also slightly angled because he is seated in this photo. Also, he is the rank of a Feldwebel at the time that this photo was taken, possibly in the late-Summer or early-Fall of 1942 based on the uniform tunic that he is wearing, am I correct? Later he would be promoted to Oberfeldwebel.

Most likely he was recently awarded both medals then had his photo taken. You can also see how emaciated he is, definitely the veteran look of someone who endured the Winter struggles of 1941/42 and the Spring battles of 1942. Oberfeldwebel Walter Beynun - 1 OCT 1938 - 8 MAY 1945.jpg

With all of this evidence in-hand, you are mad about which medal that was purchased so far?

1. Is it the 4-year medal because he served for 6.5 years?
2. Is it the West Wall Medal that was given to every soldier who was stationed on the border with France for 3 weeks prior to the invasion of May 1940?
3. The General Assault Badge?
4. The Kuban Shield? Is there a reason why he should not have this, he only needed 60 days?

wbfamily already acknowledged that the wound badge was incorrect and needed to be replaced, which is why I assisted to prevent unnecessary errors.

I am relying on facts and I present the case clearly, you are sitting on the sideline saying: "He can't have!"

Show us how he is not eligible, but you cannot, you always go back to "paybook or certificates". We have already established that those documents are necessary for official government recognition, but this is Axis History Forum. I do not believe that there is an issue with trying to help a family learn more about a very important part of their family history, how they choose to recognize it is their choice.
Thank you for explaining this all so well, Volyn. I think our grandfathers, whom were on opposing sides, would be so proud to see their future generations working together.

History- I sincerely apologize if posting these medals struck a chord with you and somehow offended you... This was never my intention. I am not trying to prove anything to anybody nor am I trying to glorify nazi Germany in any way. Maybe my grandfather wouldn't care any more about these medals being lost. Maybe (likely), he would. But he is no longer living. However, his son and his grandchildren are, and we would like to commemorate the role he played in history. To have something tangible to show that his career and the events that occurred in this devastating war, actually happened. If this is not something you would do for your family, then so be it. Most people would not! That does not make one side right or wrong in this endeavor.

Gwar
Member
Posts: 124
Joined: 10 Dec 2018 22:14
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Re: Help with grandfather's photos. Any info, please!

Post by Gwar » 07 Mar 2020 23:16

The RAD men were from GAU IV Pommern-Ost, that particular group photo has the abt. marking of '42' and I can't make out which gruppe, but her is some info where they were located
1/42 Kaffzig
1/42 Penzlin
1/42 Prignitz

2/42 Butow I

3/42 Wussow

4/42 Amern

5/142 Butow

6/42 Radensfelde
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”