How did soldiers (of all nations, Allied/German) cut their hair in the field?

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Sarge3525

How did soldiers (of all nations, Allied/German) cut their hair in the field?

Post by Sarge3525 » 01 Dec 2018, 22:14

I know there is another thread, but its on hairstyles.
My question is rather, how did soldiers in the field, away from facilities, cut their hair?
And what tool did he use? Clippers, scissors?
Was there usually a man, just another soldier, who knew how to cut hair?
I am interested in all soldiers. Germans, Brits, Americans, French. Any anecdote is welcome.

I have many pictures of German soldiers in the field. And it seems Wehrmacht officers had professional barbers that cut their hair to perfection like in a German hair salon. But most enlisted did not have this luxury. I often see picture of just another "landser" cutting the hair of his comrades.

Thanks!

Michael Kenny

Re: How did soldiers (of all nations, Allied/German) cut their hair in the field?

Post by Michael Kenny » 01 Dec 2018, 22:29

B6764 Cully July 9. Man second from left has clippers in one of his hands and possibly a second pair in the other which is just visible poking out from behind the US Soldier's leg.
B6764 Cully July 9 ...  ,,.jpg

More pics here:
http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/ww ... uts.32300/

H.Chinanski

Re: How did soldiers (of all nations, Allied/German) cut their hair in the field?

Post by H.Chinanski » 21 Dec 2018, 17:37

Hi there,

my grandfather was a barber and served in a Flak-Abteilung. He told me about cutting hair in his unit. My father, a barber as well, served in the Bundeswehr after the war and he did so too.
People paid or owed them.

I assume my grandpa had scissors and a comb. But there are techniques to cut hair with a razor blade as well.
https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... azor+blade

Regards
Jörg

Truckman

Post by Truckman » 21 Dec 2018, 17:55

I found out recently that my Uncle, upon his induction in the US Navy in WWII, requested training as a barber, and listed barber as a desired occupation in civilian life...Naturally they made him a diesel mechanic on a small coastal transport...Nobody else in the family ever knew he had tonsorial aspirations... :lol: ...Ben

AriX

Post by AriX » 26 Jan 2019, 02:14

Hair cuts aren't such big problem for soldiers as long finger nails.

Larrister

Post by Larrister » 28 Jan 2019, 00:26

Two photos from a 96 Inf. Division album showing the same person cutting hair in the field. He may have been a barber or just good at doing the job.
First photos shows same person as well as someone else cutting hair.

Cheers,
Larry
Attachments
Untitled-Scanned-01.jpg
131.jpg

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”