Help With Info on Occupied Alsace – Political Classification of Alsatians

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
georgiabread

Help With Info on Occupied Alsace – Political Classification of Alsatians

Post by georgiabread » 11 Jun 2020, 15:04

I have done some research on this event, but found very little to support its occurrence. Only a few historical sources record this.

During the Nazi Occupation of Alsace-Lorraine, there is record of a political classification of Alsatians. Apparently, Alsatians were separated into three categories according to their level of loyalty to the Third Reich, likely in order to monitor them and determine whether they required punishment.

This event is mentioned in this historical report which states in French, "Avril 1942 : Classement secret de la population alsacienne par le service statistique du Parti en trois catégories selon leur degré d’attachement au Reich."

Translated, this says, "April 1942: Secret classification of the Alsatian population by the Party's statistical service into three categories according to their degree of attachment to the Reich."

The same quote is also mentioned in a timeline in Alsace 1939-1945: La grande encyclopedié des années de guerre, written by Bernard Reumaux and Alfred Wahl. I believe the historical report above uses this book as a source to support their record of the political classification.

If anyone has any further information on this event, such as specific dates, which Nazi organisation created the classification (the statistical service?), the names of the three categories, whether similar classifications occurred in other parts of Nazi Germany, etc., I would greatly appreciate it. I know this is quite an obscure part of the history of occupied Alsace-Lorraine, even more so of WWII history in general. But I will be thankful for any efforts to help me out with uncovering this piece of history!

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”