Geli Raubel - Hearsay Conversation About Her Death

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Wordsworth

Geli Raubel - Hearsay Conversation About Her Death

Post by Wordsworth » 12 Aug 2020 21:05

I'm reading a book - the memoirs of Dietrich von Hildebrand - and there is a section of the book dealing with von Hildebrand's encounter with someone named Pant which a footnote identifies as Eduard Pant who was apparently a teacher, politican and publisher. Von Hildebrand claims that Pant had, at one point, romanced Hitler's sister - the footnotes claim it was Angela Raubel - but may or may not have been very serious about her.

Von Hildebrand also claims that he ran into Pant sometime in 1934 who told him that he'd encountered Angela not long before that and he accompanied her to the cemetery to visit Geli's grave. When he expressed his sympathy and told Angela how hard it was to believe that such a pretty girl would kill herself, he told von Hildebrand that Angela burst into tears and claimed that Geli was murdered. Von Hildebrand inferred that Hitler had killed Geli or had had her killed.

I have never encountered this story in any other book that referenced Geli's death. I've never encountered the name Eduard Pant who would not seem to be the type of person who would run in the same circles as Angela Raubel. While rumors surrounding Geli's demise have abounded for decades, I've never read anything like this in which someone is said to have gotten it straight from Angela that her daughter was murdered.

Can anyone shed light on this?

Br. James

Re: Geli Raubel - Hearsay Conversation About Her Death

Post by Br. James » 13 Aug 2020 16:56

Interesting note of "hearsay," as you titled this tale. I've never heard of 'Eduard Pant,' but as you say, the idea that Geli Raubel was murdered goes back as far as September of 1931, when her body was found in Hitler's Munich apartment. One of the most telling things that I always remember about this matter is this: "The Münchener Post reported that the dead girl had a fractured nose." To my knowledge, this press report was never sufficiently followed up, and "The police ruled out foul play; the death was ruled a suicide," according to her Wikipedia bio. To my mind, at least, this "fractured nose" found on Geli's corpse is and always has been one of the keys to whether or not she was murdered.

Br. James

Wordsworth

Re: Geli Raubel - Hearsay Conversation About Her Death

Post by Wordsworth » 09 Sep 2020 18:09

Thank you very much. Since von Hildebrand was quoting someone who was quoting Angela, that's why I described the statement as hearsay as Hildebrand was not there to hear it himself. Getting information second-hand can be dicey sometimes. Of course, there's been speculation for years about Geli's death and its cause. I'd just never encountered anything like this where someone quoted Angela or anyone else in the family definitively stating that she'd been murdered.

If she believed Geli had been murdered, who did she think did it? If she suspected Hitler or one of his cronies, what does that say about her continuing relationship with a man she believed to be responsible for her daughter's death, even if that man was her brother? It certainly makes one view Angela differently.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”