Stateless White Russians in German-occupied Europe

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Hyus

Stateless White Russians in German-occupied Europe

Post by Hyus » 27 Aug 2020 14:30

I'm curious to know how stateless White Russians living in Nazi-occupied territories were treated by the authorities, given that legally they didn't belong to any country, were Slavic "untermensch", but were also anti-Soviet.

I know that many White Russians in China remained stateless through to WW2. I don't know if it was the same in Europe, or if all of those emigres became naturalised in other countries, so maybe my question isn't relevant if there were no stateless White Russians in Europe by the time the war broke out. But if there were, I'd like to know what their lives were like under Nazi rule.

Pavel Novak

Re: Stateless White Russians in German-occupied Europe

Post by Pavel Novak » 04 Sep 2020 16:25

I don't know full answer to this. I can only say that White Russians in Czechoslovakia got clientship during interwar years and the ones who stayed in protectorate thus got protectorate citizenship. During liberation NKVD was hijacking them and sending them to the USSR prisons where they were either killed or were kept till they died.

Hyus

Post by Hyus » 04 Sep 2020 18:07

Yes, the story of White Russians being arrested and tortured/murdered/deported by the NKVD is sadly one that extends from Europe to Asia during that period...

Pavel Novak

Post by Pavel Novak » 05 Sep 2020 19:33

grammar correction: ... in Czechoslovakia got citizenship ...

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”