Was there any German monarchist resistance to the Nazis after 1933?

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Hyus

Was there any German monarchist resistance to the Nazis after 1933?

Post by Hyus » 28 Aug 2020 23:52

I know that in Austria, one of the forms of resistance to Nazism came from supporters of the Hapsburgs. I have also heard that the Nazis banned monarchist organisations after Hitler came to power, and that Crown Prince Rupprecht of Bavaria distanced himself from the Nazis and eventually went into exile abroad in 1939.

So, considering this, was there any German monarchist resistance to the Nazis after 1933, even if only by a handful of individuals? I was primarily thinking of resistance within Germany itself, but I'm also open to hearing about German monarchist opposition from abroad.

Wordsworth

Re: Was there any German monarchist resistance to the Nazis after 1933?

Post by Wordsworth » 09 Sep 2020 18:01

There probably was, but it would be along the lines of the Stauffenburg cadre. The monarchists weren't necessarily opposed to the war, they just looked down on Hitler and/or disapproved of his methods. The very devout were opposed to the violence and bigotry of the regime (as well as of its thinly-veiled anti-Christianity), but much of it was class snobbery.

The book "The Kaiser's Last Kiss" (made into a film called "The Exception") develops the premise that the Nazis spied on the exiled Kaiser in Holland and tried to use him to root out any monarchists that might cause trouble for Hitler. Not sure how true-to-life that is. It is well known that the Kaiser despised Hitler, so many traditional, conservative Germans might have considered flocking to Wilhelm's banner as an alternative.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”