Evacuation of the Petschek Palace - May 1945

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
VanillaNuns

Evacuation of the Petschek Palace - May 1945

Post by VanillaNuns » 21 Sep 2020, 11:54

An incredible photograph showing the Gestapo evacuation of their headquarters at the Petschek Palace during the Prague Uprising in May 1945.

The caption is dated 9th May but I have my doubts. The last German forces to leave the city did so at the very last moment in the early hours of the morning.

The Russians reached the suburbs of Prague by 4am and met only token resistance from some Waffen SS units who had been cut off and prevented from leaving. Red Army tanks advanced quickly and were in the city centre by 8am.

This photo is clearly taken during daytime hours, so perhaps 8 May is more realistic?

But what a brilliant photograph. There would have been a huge element of risk with fighting still on going in the streets below and the possibility of German snipers.

It reminds me of the "hidden" Auschwitz images of 1944. Taken quickly and clandestinely.

Does anyone have anymore information on this image? Perhaps there are others too by the same photographer.

Photo source: agefotostock
Attachments
ckp-fo01058165.jpg

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”