Nuremberg Laws - enemies of the race-based state

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
George L Gregory

Nuremberg Laws - enemies of the race-based state

Post by George L Gregory » 03 Jul 2021 14:55

The laws were expanded on 26 November 1935 to include Romani and Black people. This supplementary decree defined Romanis as "enemies of the race-based state", the same category as Jews.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuremberg_Laws

Where in any of the text of the Nuremberg Laws were Jews and Gypsies described as “enemies of the race-based state”?

Hans1906

Re: Nuremberg Laws - enemies of the race-based state

Post by Hans1906 » 03 Jul 2021 16:36

The very best german docu, I have ever seen about the Porajmos, was the german docu from the 2011,
the title of the docu I still remember:

"Wir haben doch nichts getan ..."

The full docu is still online, 29 minutes

Link https://www.ardmediathek.de/video/plane ... BfdmlkZW8/

No comment from me.

Hans

P.S. There was another almost 60 minutes long docu about the Porajmos, former Häftlinge visiting the Konzentrationslager complex once again.
Watched the docu more than 40 years ago on a late night german TV documentary, hope to find a link later...

The still common term "Zigeuner" is still used, in everyday German language.
I myself, actually old enough to know the history behind this term, the term is still in my head, and almost still everywhere...
"Herumzigeunern", keep the laundry into the house, "Zigeuner", knife grinder always occupied with the term "Zigeuner", etc, etc, etc...

I still remember a man in his mid 30s in the FL community, we were cooking for all the people every sunday morning,
preparing a very large brunch for more 120 people.
He was chopping tons of onions with a very large kitchen knife, his first chance to get his hands on a knife after 6 months
of probationary period.

He said to me, we "Zigeuner", we know, how to handle a knife, when we hatch out the body of our mothers,
all of us have already a knife in one of ours hands...
A minute later, he laughed his ass off very loud, still chopping all these onions for the brunch, with an evil grin.
Es ist im Leben wichtig, viel zu wissen.
Manchmal ist es noch wichtiger, zu wissen, daß man nichts weiß.

Hans1906

Post by Hans1906 » 05 Aug 2021 15:24

I am able to attach just one photo from my photo collection.

The photographer at that time served in the (Marineartillerie) naval artillery, on the way to the Crimean Peninsula at that time, the young man took some photos, this photo was taken in Romania.

The small series of the three feral little boys consists of only three photos.
On the back described in pencil as "Gypsy children". ("Zigeunerkinder")
The complete bundle includes just under 100 photos, found in the trash can of a German nursing home in the 1990s.

Zigeunerkinder.png
Published in FdW back already in the 1990s, the photo was widely used online in later years.
I still don't care, but the disrespect towards this photo, that still gets to me.
I always publish photos from my collection without a digital watermark.

I wish to be able to post these three photos in high resolution here on the forum in the near future.

Hans
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

George L Gregory

Post by George L Gregory » 18 Aug 2021 20:32

I am wanting the text specifically describing Jews and Gypsies as “enemies of the race-based state”.

Hans1906

Post by Hans1906 » 18 Aug 2021 21:03

George, the photographer at that time was a simple german soldier, who had a camera in his luggage, that's all it was.
Probably the man was touched by the suffering, and the view of the children smoking cigarettes....

The photo speaks for itself, without question, I'll post the complete series later.
I am wanting the text specifically describing Jews and Gypsies as “enemies of the race-based state”.
Not this nonsense again, but one distant day, your questions will become much better, very sure!

Take care! :milwink:

Hans

P.S. Hope, you were able to watch the above film/documentary.

wm

Post by wm » 18 Aug 2021 21:43

The Jews were enemies (and parasites), the Romani parasites on the healthy body of the Volk (but not enemies), the Black people were merely unwelcome.

Hans1906

Post by Hans1906 » 18 Aug 2021 21:57

Last,

I myself still remember survivors of the "Porajmos".

Formerly persecuted people, for example from the then Sudetenland, a small minority at that time.
The then ragged mother "Rosel" was still in the 1950s always close to our family, in her self-knitted shoes.
Even in my childhood years, these people were everywhere, over and over again.
Even in the 1960s, the poverty of these people was more than pitiful, and I know very well how much my grandfather Hans was touched by all this.
But even as mayor of our community at that time, it was rarely possible for the man to really help.

All that is modern history today, long gone, not even true anymore.
The old lady in her knitted shoes who gave me a pear, I'll never forget that face.

That soft, kind, and haggard face is forever etched in my memory.

That smile...

Hans

wm

Post by wm » 18 Aug 2021 22:35

There weren't that poor.
I've lived with them door-to-door almost all my life.
Their poverty results from their chosen lifestyle, wandering life (communist regimes force them to abandon it and gave them homes), utter disregard for education and work, and intercommunity violence.
That's someone is poor doesn't mean he's a "nice guy."

Cosgar

Post by Cosgar » 21 Aug 2021 10:26

George, I know of no entry in the Nürnberger Gesetze that mentions Gypsies nevermind them being enemies of a race-based state. There is no mention in the Wiki article as to where this information comes from and, according to the Reichsgesetzblatt, there was no expansion of the laws on the 26th of November 1935. There was an "Erlass des Reichsministers des Inneren zur 1. Ausführungsverordnung zum "Blutschutzgesetz" which was sent out on the 3rd of January 1936 in which Zigeuner and Black people are mentioned.

Hans1906

Post by Hans1906 » 21 Aug 2021 13:33

We had a common motorcycle friend in the 1970s, Mr. Peter B. was listed as "Stateless / Staatenlos " here in Germany, and this was exactly the designation on his official papers.

Peter was a very dear friend, and our motorcycle buddy, but a conversation about his family's past was never an issue, unfortunately.
He sometimes talked about his father, who was working for the English army here in Germany at the time, nothing more.

Peter was hiding something, maybe he was ashamed of something, I don't know.
I will not mention his last name here in the forum at that time, for many reasons.

In later years, our friend voluntarily departed this life.

Hans

* My feeling today is, that Peter was the son of a DP family, but who knows.
Forced displacement (DP) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forced_displacement

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 21 Aug 2021 16:37

For interested readers -- There is a collection of Nazi-era citizenship laws, translated into English, at:

Nazi Anti-Semitic Legislation in Germany
viewtopic.php?t=61972

Cosgar

Post by Cosgar » 21 Aug 2021 17:14

Thank you David, nice list. Quite a few laws and ordinances which applied to Jews are missing though, there were many more passed in 1933 alone.

wm

Post by wm » 23 Aug 2021 21:28

Which one, for example?

Cosgar

Post by Cosgar » 24 Aug 2021 16:51

wm, I would imagine that question was for me. If so this here would be my answer. There were 13 ordinances and laws passed in January 1933 which had a direct impact on the Jews of Germany. This does not include laws and ordinances passed on a local level or by the Länder. in a number of cases it is not immediately obvious as to what the intention was but a closer look makes it obvious.
For example let us look at the Gesetz über das Schlachten von Tieren. (The law on slaughtering of animals) which was passed on the 21st of April 1933. The law appears on page 203 of the Reichsgesetzblatt and paragraph 1 says "Warm blooded animals shall be stunned at slaughter before bloodletting." This law goes against Kosher slaughtering as carried out by orthodox Jews. This law was enforced by a decree passed on the same day which can be found on page 212 of the Reichsgesetzblatt which, in paragraph 4 says: "…..Bloodletting at slaughter may only commence after complete stunning has taken place." The passing of this law would have had no impact on non Jewish Germans as it was common practice to stun animals in slaughterhouses before bloodletting. The intention of the law is therefore clearly aimed at the orthodox Jews of Germany.
On the 22nd of April the Verordnung über die Zulassung von Ärzten zur Tätigkeit bei den Krankenkassen (Ordinance on the accreditation of physicians to work for health insurance companies) was passed and appears on page 222 in the Reichsgesetzblatt. Here it is very obvious what the intention of the law is. In article 1, point 1 it says: "The activity of health insurance physicians of non-Aryan descent and of health insurance physicians who have been active communists is terminated. New admissions of such physicians to work for the health insurance companies will no longer take place."
These are only two examples of laws passed in January 1933. Around 58 laws were passed in January 1933 which had an impact on the Jews of Germany directly or indirectly.
Maybe not completely part of this thread but that would be my answer.

wm

Post by wm » 24 Aug 2021 22:12

Thank you, but the second example is on the Mr. Thompson list.

The first wasn't anti-Jewish, the law concerned itself with animal welfare. The Nazis passed extensive animal protection laws (including the welfare of lobsters) and were true pioneers in this field. Many of the laws are still in force today.
In addition to the laws against vivisection and kosher slaughter, scores of additional legal measures regulating the treatment of animals were enacted from 1933 through 1943, probably several times the number in the preceding half-century.
These covered in excruciating detail a vast array of concerns from the shoeing of horses to the use of anesthesia.
UNDERSTANDING NAZI ANIMAL PROTECTION AND THE HOLOCAUST by Arnold Arluke and Boria Sax

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”