The place where Heydrich´s attempt was.

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Matt Gibbs

Assasination

Post by Matt Gibbs » 11 Jul 2003, 16:49

Thanks for the post Kephra.

I have seen the content of the pages you pasted into the forum regarding operation anthropoid and some of the information is going to be in an article I am writing for the forum. I have not finished writing it thus I did not present the information you have added, lest I spoil or duplicate information from my article. I will send it to aMarcus in due time.

The website I found the information on regarding the displays is as follows:

On May 27, 2002, the exhibit “Assassination: Operation Anthropoid 1941-1942” opened at the Museum of the Army of the Czech Republic in Žizkov, and for the
next two years, visitors can learn in great detail about the preparations and aftermath of the mission. In addition to period films and newspapers, copies of radio dispatches, weapons and uniforms, the exhibit features Heydrich’s black Mercedes Benz 320, into which Kubiš threw his bomb. On the walls of the last room of the exhibit are inscribed the names of all the known victims of the Heydrich Terror. One of the curators of the exhibit, military historian Eduard Stehlík, put Operation Anthropoid in perspective. “The assassination is the most important event of our resistance. Thanks to it, the Munich Agreement was repudiated and we have our current borders,” he said. The Civic Assocation “Anthropoid” is currently seeking to build a memorial on the assassination site, which will also honor the victims of the Heydrich Terror.

This is the only information I have, not being able to translate Czech! Possibly Heydrich had mopre than one car..?
Regards
Matt Gibbs

lisset

Thank you.

Post by lisset » 27 Jul 2003, 01:36

Juha,
Thank you for the great photos of the site of Heydrich demise. I took te liberty of saving to HD.
Will have to get the 2 x Vol. biograpghy of the man ...he was intersting nad is a major figure in the history of the Third Reich , an intelligent pefectionist , but a cold efficent architect of mass murder.

Macmedal

Post by Macmedal » 31 Jul 2003, 22:52

I visited the Czech Army Museum in Prague last month.

The car shown before and again here IS the actual car that Heydrich was in on that day. They have restored it to look like the day of the assassination for the exhibition.

If you have any interest in ANTHRAPOD and the assassination YOU MUST see this exhibition.

It is unbelievable what they have on display, everythig from the car to the sten gun magazine and spare grenade/charge dropped at the scene to the clothing and possession of those killed in the crypt. I just wish I had had more time to view it all !!!

Nick
Attachments
anth.jpg
anth.jpg (65.29 KiB) Viewed 4651 times

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 31 Jul 2003, 23:00

Woaoo Nick!

Thanks for share the photo!

Best,

Macmedal

Post by Macmedal » 31 Jul 2003, 23:00

Pictures of the crypt at the Church of Cyril and Methodius in Prague's Resslova street :
Attachments
crypt.jpg
Outside showing the ventilation window for the crypt
crypt.jpg (127.86 KiB) Viewed 4639 times

Cory C

Post by Cory C » 01 Aug 2003, 07:08

Thank you, Matt & Juha!

~Cory

Matt Gibbs

Visit

Post by Matt Gibbs » 09 Aug 2003, 23:53

Nick;
Glad you got the time to go, i wish I could. I have emailled the museum to get a copy of thier guide book and other info about the heydrich exhibition. Just out of interest i don't suppose you took a picture of the 'spare' bomb did you..? If you could email it to me I would be very grateful, I am doing some research and an article for the forum and this is one object I'd love a pic of !!! I have a bad copy of the gestapo pic of the bomb but its very poor low resolution...
Here's hoping!
Regards
Matt Gibbs

Mauser K98k

Post by Mauser K98k » 10 Sep 2003, 05:52

Here is a picture of the Karel Boromejsky Church showing the Prague Fire Brigade pumping water into the crypt. Unfortunately, it's a tad blurry. Note how the bullet marks above the opening have been preserved.

pictures from book: "The Killing of SS Obergruppenfuhrer Reinhard Heydrich" by Callum MacDonald
Last edited by Mauser K98k on 10 Sep 2003, 06:09, edited 1 time in total.

Mauser K98k

Post by Mauser K98k » 10 Sep 2003, 05:59

This one shows the severed heads of Gabcik and Kubis, displayed to their relatives by the always-considerate Nazis.

Mauser K98k

Post by Mauser K98k » 10 Sep 2003, 06:07

This is Heydrich's car, showing the bomb damage:

This is the Monument erected to the Memory of Heydrich at the fatal corner in Prague, with it's perpetual SS Guard of Honor.
The Czechs tore it to hell in 1945, needless to say.

waffen

HEYDRICHS DEATH

Post by waffen » 10 Sep 2003, 09:17

8O the storys and photos will make this in time the no 1 ww2 site of all time thankyou all waffen :D

Donut

Post by Donut » 10 Sep 2003, 18:52

I think that the British are cowards because they send assassins on Reinhard Heydrich and why because they feared him

Mauser K98k

Post by Mauser K98k » 10 Sep 2003, 21:51

Actually, the British had a subserviant role. The Brits only assisted the exiled Czech President, Eduard Benes, and Czech military intelligence, who planned and pulled off the Operation. It was carried out by Czech patriots.

Matt Gibbs

Cowardly planning

Post by Matt Gibbs » 10 Sep 2003, 23:40

The British might have not have been onthe ground but they provided a great deal of the material assistance to the Czechs and Benes. They provided the training, materials, equiptment, bombs, aircraft transport etc for the conclusion of the mission, so I doubt is the role could really be marginalised as subservient. :)
It is likely without the help of SOE the mission would never have come off at all, despite the great partiotism of Kublik and Gabcik who knew they were likely on a suicide missiion.
Interesting point that the allies were cowardly in sending an assasin, however, the Czechs felt that Heydrich was just being too damn good at what he was doing by forcing the czech labour force into war production for the reich, whilst also taking care of theundesirables of the populace also. It is easy to call this operation cowardly, all I can say is thats easy for you to say, he wasn't appointed to look after your country. I suppose that means you consider all allied assisted guerilla warfare was cowardly, or just because this one targetted Heydrich makes it so bad..?

regards

Matt Gibbs

gregorykahndc

does anybody know the exact location of Heydrich killing

Post by gregorykahndc » 30 Jul 2005, 03:35

There are great pictures on this website. I am trying to locate the place on a map. I will be in Prague in October to visit. Thanks

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”