Burials in Invaliden question

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
paul.i.w

Burials in Invaliden question

Post by paul.i.w » 26 Jun 2022, 16:51

Hi

I'm hoping to visit Berlin soon, and was going to the Invaliden cemetery. Can anyone tell me if there is a map, or list, of burials there, with locations? I wouldn't have a huge amount of time, so anything like that would be really useful!

Tanks

Paul

Mannheim

Re: Burials in Invaliden question

Post by Mannheim » 26 Jun 2022, 23:10

There's a notice board just inside the gate on your left. Only in German though (from memory). What's left of the cemetery is not that big and you could probably wander through it in half an hour.
Kein Irrtum ist so groß, der nicht seinen Zuhörer hat.

paul.i.w

Post by paul.i.w » 27 Jun 2022, 18:59

Sounds good, thanks very much for the reply

Regards
Paul

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 28 Jun 2022, 02:30

I've just PM'd you. Cheers!
Kein Irrtum ist so groß, der nicht seinen Zuhörer hat.

hambubger

Post by hambubger » 28 Jun 2022, 02:41

Are there any specific individuals you're looking for?

Here's a basic Wiki link for some of the most notable burials: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... 7_Cemetery

Invaliden has had a LOT of moving parts over the years. You'll get plenty of info from members here, I'm sure, as far as any detailed questions. Enjoy Berlin!

"I don't believe there is anything in the whole earth that you can't learn in Berlin except the German language." -Mark Twain
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes." – Mark Twain.

VanillaNuns

Post by VanillaNuns » 28 Jun 2022, 08:55

There are a few good videos on YouTube where the person filming walks around the cemetery looking at the individual tombstones of notable personalities buried in Section A and Section C.

It will give you a good feel for the place. Because once you're there inside, it all looks the same!

Heydrich's grave in Section C is unmarked but can easily be located if you search online. 😉

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 30 Jun 2022, 14:00

If you happen to use findagrave.com, most of the more famous graves are shown there. But be advised that the photo I posted for the Heydrich grave is wrong - it was based on a 1999 book that was either mistaken, or purposely misleading (the photo posted by “2/504” is the correct location, in Sect. A, not C).
Also, some grave markers come and go, such as a more recent marker for Fritz Todt, which you can see in Findagrave, but which I think is gone now.
The best book I have seen on the Invalidenfriedhof is “Zwischen Mars und Minerva: Wegweiser Invalidenfriedhof” by Laurenz Demps (1998 - in German language). It is a very in-depth guide on the cemetery and its burials, with a nice map. Having praised this book, I must point out that it does omit most of the Third Reich personalities and graves (they’re on the map, but not in the text).
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

paul.i.w

Post by paul.i.w » 01 Jul 2022, 13:51

Thanks Geoff

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”