Did the Nazis threaten German soldiers families?

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
john2

Did the Nazis threaten German soldiers families?

Post by john2 » 28 Jan 2023, 21:23

I read somewhere quite awhile ago that German soldiers were told if they deserted or didn't fight well enough the nazis would kill their families back home. It's been awhile since I read this so unfortunately I don't have a source. Has anyone else heard of something like this?

TheGamingrex

Re: Did the Nazis threaten German soldiers families?

Post by TheGamingrex » 30 Jan 2023, 22:16

Depending on the rank you held in the German military would depend on if their families would be harmed.High ranking soldiers were more than likely to treated harshly as well as their family if they knew about what happened but as far as I know an example of nothing happening would be the case of Otto Schimek when he refused to partake in orders by a superior.

lionbother

Post by lionbother » 09 May 2023, 09:00

Is Otto Schimek an exception? Do you have any information on why he refusedfree games to participate without any penalty?

wm

Post by wm » 09 May 2023, 12:07

john2 wrote:
28 Jan 2023, 21:23
didn't fight well enough
In January 1942, Hoepner requested permission from Kluge, the new commander of Army Group Centre, to withdraw his over-extended forces. Kluge advised him that he would discuss the matter with Hitler and ordered Hoepner to get ready.
Assuming that Hitler's permission was on the way and not wanting to risk the matter any longer, Hoepner ordered his troops to withdraw on 8 January 1942.
Afraid of what Hitler might think, Kluge immediately reported Hoepner, causing Hitler's fury. Hoepner was dismissed from the Wehrmacht on the same day.

Hitler directed that Hoepner be deprived of his pension and denied the right to wear his uniform and medals, contravening the law and Wehrmacht regulations. Hoepner filed a lawsuit against the Reich to reclaim his pension. Judges at the time could not be dismissed, even by Hitler, and Hoepner won his case.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”