Nazi Treasure

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Geoff Walden

Himmler's home on the Tegernsee

Post by Geoff Walden » 02 May 2004 15:05

Steve Arthur wrote: He told me that Himmler had a home on Tegernsee (Can anyone else verify this? Is this information correct about the home?) :D
Steve,

Yes, this is correct. Himmler had a house in Gmund am Tegernsee. It still exists, and is supposed to have a bunker beneath it. Franz Xaver Schwarz and Max Amann also had homes on the Tegernsee, in St. Quirin next to Gmund.

What is happening at Bad Toelz reminds me of the same sort of thing going on on the Obersalzberg (Berchtesgaden). Up on the mountain, the Gewerbegrund company has apparently been given free rein to tear down whatever they want. They tore down the perfectly good Platterhof hotel (General Walker), and now they are building a huge modern glass and steel monstrosity on top of the highest hill on the Obersalzberg. And yet, other such sites in Germany are being protected as monuments (Denkmalschutz), and being interpreted historically. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

Geoff

DarExc
Financial supporter

Post by DarExc » 08 May 2004 20:52

I've heard a story that the SS hid a lot of their old honour rings of fallen SS men in a cave and they have never been found.

Reich Ruin

Post by Reich Ruin » 10 May 2004 12:58

As far as I know that is true ! They were hidden from the Allies near one of Himmlers castles.... I forget the name of it. The whole story is at http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com .

Director

Post by Director » 11 May 2004 04:44

Is there any crazy bunkers or tunnel complese below Wewellsburg castle?
I know I'm just a typical non-German wanting to know more about SS craziness in the castle, but is there?

Geoff Walden wrote:
Yes, this is correct. Himmler had a house in Gmund am Tegernsee. It still exists, and is supposed to have a bunker beneath it.
Has anyone confirmed if it did have a bunker below it?

Drew Maynard

Post by Drew Maynard » 11 May 2004 13:30

DarExc and others:

As far as the blast sealed SSTK honor rings go, rumour had it that the returned rings were kept in a box, and then ordered to be 'blast sealed' into the side of a mountain near the Wewelsburg Castle, near Paderborn, Germany. the castle is still there and available for tours (there's also a youth hostel there). germandaggers.com had a bit on this (the blast sealing of rings) in the 'Don Boyle Honour Rings' section, quite an interesting read, though there's alot of misonceptions about it, the '

As far as any subterrainian tunnels in Schloss Wewelsburg, I know that nearby in on of the pubs, there are some tunnels underneath where gas masks etc have been found. The pub still had totenkopfs on the end of the benches etc. I have some video of the area, I'll see if I can grab some stills.

There's also a small SS grave site near the Castle of Panzer Brigade Westfallen.

I highly suggest the reading of the post on germandaggers.com- don no longer moderates the forum, which is a shame, he's pretty much the defacto expert on the honor ring. The threads in that section also put to rest alot of the malarkey surrounding the more esoteric areas of SS regalia and rumours:

(you'll need to log in as a member to see any pictures).

http://daggers.infopop.net/2/OpenTopic? ... 573&m=5000

if you're really interested in researchign further, i recommend the book 'Himmler's Camelot' at questknights.com. There was even a BBC program about it a while back.

Hope this helps:

Vinland

Director

Post by Director » 11 May 2004 14:07

The pub still had totenkopfs on the end of the benches etc. I have some video of the area I'll see if I can grab some stills.
Vinland, thanks for your help. I'd love to see some stills that you have. I'm not sure how good the video will come out, but I'd still love to see some in any condition.

As far as any subterrainian tunnels in Schloss Wewelsburg, I know that nearby in on of the pubs, there are some tunnels underneath where gas masks etc have been found. ,
Is there any online reference to this? Pictures etc?

I'll use google to look for the BBC docomentary. Thanks for the heads up![/quote]

Drew Maynard

Post by Drew Maynard » 11 May 2004 14:16

The BBc documentary:

quesknights.com has some information on it, including the title.

the pics of the tunnels were posted by some reenactors who visited there. i think they were 'wiking' division- try googling viking wewelsburg trip' i think. i'll look for it later.

regards

vinland

Director

Post by Director » 20 Jun 2004 13:25

Vinland wrote:
As far as any subterrainian tunnels in Schloss Wewelsburg, I know that nearby in on of the pubs, there are some tunnels underneath where gas masks etc have been found. The pub still had totenkopfs on the end of the benches etc. I have some video of the area, I'll see if I can grab some stills.

I'd love to see some if you can post them, thanks.

caitlin

Tunnels in Salzburg and Austria

Post by caitlin » 26 Jul 2004 20:47

hi all-
I'm a new york based visual artist. Recently I spent a month in Salzburg, Austria doing an artist residency. By the end of the trip I got really into making a massive drawing of what the nazi tunnels might be like. (kinda like a big mapping grid system) I asked around about them and the Austrians really didn't want to talk about them at all! But they did mention a bit on how they were connected somehow with the Roman ruins underneath them. I am dying to get any and all info on what the many levels and where they went to and how the tunnels might have changed from Roman to Nazi to American usage..... THANKS!!! caitlin :lol:

ohrdruf

Post by ohrdruf » 27 Jul 2004 00:36

For plans of a large number of German underground installations, enter "Harald Faeth" in YAHOO SEARCH, and click on item 1.

Regarding the original question of Nazi Treasure, the Argentine Naval Archive recently released a number of documents indicating that two U-boats unloaded a large number of crates, many of them believed to contain gold ingots, at a remote beach between Necochea and Mar del Plata on the evening of 27 July 1945.

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 29 Jul 2004 01:08

ohrdruf,

Thankyou for bringing this topic back to life. Most interesting,
but stories of treasures and intrique always are.

Do you have any more information such as the id of the
U-boats, from where they originated, whom where crates
addressed or shipped to etc.

Interesting indeed.

Annelie

ohrdruf

Post by ohrdruf » 29 Jul 2004 22:53

Annelie

The Argentine naval documents present a picture which tends to stand modern history of the immediate postwar picture a little on its head.

Two U-boats surrendered at Mar del Plata. These were U-530 (Wermuth) on 10 July 1945 and U-977 (Schaeffer) on 17 August 1945. From the newly released documents of Wermuth's interrogation, it is clear that U-530 fled to Argentina after a secret mission in the vicinity of the US East coast and was uninvolved in the transportation of cargo from Germany to Argentina.

The U-boat involved in the three-boat operation was U-977, which functioned as a scout unit. After the war, the commander of U-977 wrote a famous book in which he described breaking out from Norway at war's end and sailing to the Cape Verde Islands 66 days submerged before continuing on the surface to Argentina. He posed as a Nazi fanatic who believed he would be racially defiled if he fell into Allied hands. This whole story was an elaborate fiction invented in the interrogation session by the Argentine naval authorities and Schaeffer to disguise Schaeffer's true purpose, which was to act as scout boat to the two U-boats arriving from Europe with freight.

Schaeffer's other reason was as follows. On 4 July 1945 he was on the Equator within 50 miles of the Brazilian cruiser "Bahia". At nine that morning "Bahia" was destroyed in a mystery explosion and suspicion fell on Schaeffer that he had torpedoed the cruiser. It was therefore essential for the conspirators, Argentine and German, to deflect suspicion away from Schaeffer and U-977, and the best thing was to have U-977 well to the north of the "Bahia" that morning, as a result of which the fiction of the 66-day voyage came into existence to put him 1000 miles away from the tragedy. ("Bahia" was sunk by crew negligence with heavy loss of life, a Brazilian AA gunner accidentally fired a few bursts into the depth charges on the poop deck and blew the stern off the ship).

The two U-boats with the cargo were on the Equator on 18 July apparently waiting to be called down, and were attacked with depth charges by the Brazilian cruiser "Babitonga", one of the two submarines suffering light damage. That same evening, U-977 was chased by the Argentine torpedo-boat "Mendoza" and received eight depth charges in the vicinity of San Antonio del Oeste before the Argentine Admiralty recalled all naval units to base for reasons unknown.

According to Argentine police reports, a man of German origin was arrested on a beach near Necochea on the night of 26 July 1945 after admitting to being in the process of signalling to an offshore German U-boat. After making a statement he was released because signalling to offshore U-boats was not an offence under Argentine law.

On the night of 27 July 1945 Argentine police searched beaches up to 20 kms either side of Necochea but failed to detect the unloading of two U-boats at Piedra Negra beach, ten miles east of Necochea, early the next morning. At midday on 28 July 1945 at Piedra Negra they discovered evidence that one or possibly two U-boats had unloaded large quantities of crates which had been shipped to a nearby German-owned ranch by eight lorries.

That afternoon detectives attended the farm which fronted the beach and was owned by the Lahusen merchant firm, a Bremen organisation which administered the German espionage network in Argentina. The detectives were met in the driveway of the farm by heavily armed Germans and, lacking a search warrant, were expelled from the property. The police chief at La Plata ordered the police to abandon the investigation a few hours later.

The contents of the cases, and the identity of a number of passengers who disembarked, is not stated in the official documents, although three former "Admiral Graf Spee" crewmen who assisted at the unloading gave evidence to an official enquiry in 1953 that gold and highly secret scientific materials and documents had been landed.

An Argentine intelligence report dated 1952 and recently declassified states that an officer from one of the two U-boats had recently bought a villa at Ascochinga in Cordoba province. His boat was identified as "U235". This was a Type VII sunk in error by German naval forces off Denmark in April 1945 and accordingly one suspects that the two cargo boats were given the operational numbers of sunken U-boats for the purposes of deception.

As you see, there is quite a story here and I let you have this brief synopsis so that if you have any questions on particular areas, or want document references etc, you can tell me what you need.

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 30 Jul 2004 18:15

ohrdruf

Thankyou, most fascinating. I think I shall have to buy the
Commanders Book and read it before I have any more questions.

You obviously have researched this quite thoroughly. Your
synopsis though has only added to my interest.

This is the stuff movies are made of :)

Regards
Annelie

Englander

Post by Englander » 31 Jul 2004 23:57

HaEn
In memoriam

movies

Post by HaEn » 01 Aug 2004 15:19

Annelie wrote:ohrdruf

Thankyou, most fascinating. I think I shall have to buy the
Commanders Book and read it before I have any more questions.

You obviously have researched this quite thoroughly. Your
synopsis though has only added to my interest.

This is the stuff movies are made of :)
Regards
Annelie
Oh "puleeze"! Not another Hollywood version of history. :( I can see it now: "Hitler escaped, and went to Argentina, he had two scientisist with him, who had developed an elixir that would make him forever young. :? :P He had enough gold (TONS of it, and of course made from KZ victims teeth) to finance a new war when the time is ripe. :) He is now forming a new, forever young SS, who will conquer the world if we don't rally against it now. :) :( . (under the leadership of the U.N.) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Please Lord, "Smythe" these guys before they come up with more garbage :P :wink:
HN

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”