how come ...

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Oleg Grigoryev

how come ...

Post by Oleg Grigoryev » 23 Jun 2002, 07:53

.. nobody recalled that todya was D-day for operation Barbarossa?

David C. Clarke

Because

Post by David C. Clarke » 23 Jun 2002, 08:16

Because Oleg, someone else might have reminded the Board that it was also the first day of "Operation Bagration". Were there any celebrations in Russia to mark this occasion? Cheers, David :D

landserone

Post by landserone » 23 Jun 2002, 18:21

Good point Oleg, what do the Russians do to mark this occation? Anything? I mean for D-Day 6 June, there are numerous ceremonies. Just curious, never asked any from Russia that one.

Regards
War is an extension of state policy by other means!!

Benoit Douville

Post by Benoit Douville » 24 Jun 2002, 00:15

Oleg,

I was thinking about it to start a topic about operation barbarossa because it was the 22 of june yesterday and the start of Barbarossa. As a matter of fact, i just started today to read "Stalingrad" by Antony Beevor.

I was skock to learn that about 50 000 Red Army soldiers were incorporared in the famous 6 Army with Germans uniform!

I am also wondering if still today there are a lot of hates between Gemans and Russians for what happened only 50 years ago.

Regards
Last edited by Benoit Douville on 24 Jun 2002, 00:47, edited 1 time in total.

Erik E

Post by Erik E » 24 Jun 2002, 00:47

I remember a documentary about a Swedish SS volunteer who travelled to the Narva front together with the TV team.
During their recording, a russian vet came over and started yelling about warcrimes. The Swede told him about a friend of him which was nailed to a barndoor, and got his "thing" cut off! The Russian man got very angry and claimed he was lying. He left the scene right afterwards......

I guess not all are friends, and never will be..........

EE

landserone

Post by landserone » 24 Jun 2002, 00:54

Oleg,

Thats a good book, I finished it a couple of months ago. It was hard to put down.

Well, I look at it this way. While Russia was attacked by Germany, patriotism was not nessesarly widespread. If you read a lot of them were opressed under Stalin and they saw the Germans as a better alternative.

I doubt that would have panned out.

Regards
War is an extension of state policy by other means!!

LEVE

Re: how come ...

Post by LEVE » 24 Jun 2002, 03:13

oleg wrote:.. nobody recalled that todya was D-day for operation Barbarossa?
Every year this date roll around and I'm saddened by the date. I'm sad at such a great loss of life on both sides of the front. The only bright spot I could even come up with is that this operation, though extended as it was, kept the USSR out of occupation of much of Western Europe... and that was a good thing.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”