Acts of Chivalry and Honour

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Matt Gibbs

Re:

Post by Matt Gibbs » 27 Jan 2011, 10:57

Beppo Schmidt wrote:During Operation Market-Garden Waffen-SS General Wilhelm Bittrich agreed to the British proposal of a 2-hour ceasefire during which time his forces actively aided the British in the care of wounded from both sides, proving that the Waffen-SS was not made up 100% of ruthless criminals...
Whilst not denying that Bittrich was involved and acted very well towards the RAMC officer concerned, Colonel Graeme Warrack, it was actually Major Egon Skalka, the senior German medical doctor [of SS Hohenstaufen IIRC] who arranged the ceasefire at Arnhem after Warrack had got the OK from Urquhart to do so, provided that he made it clear this was for humanitarian reasons only towards the wounded of both sides. Bittrich merely Ok'd the arrangements that Skalka and Warrack agreed. Incidentally when Warrack was offered brandy by Bittrich he refused saying that he did not want to be ill because he had not eaten for 24 hours. Sandwiches and drinks were then provided [source Bittrich and Warrack interviews] before he and his driver were allowed to fill their uniform pockets with captured medicines before leaving.
On this occasion the medical units of both sides certainly seem to have shown great respect for the wounded of both sides. In a published memoir Skalka mentions that he had more or less come to the same conclusion as Warrack but the British made the first approach.

Great thread this.
Regards
Matt

Graham Clayton

Re: Acts of Chivalry and Honour

Post by Graham Clayton » 13 Jul 2011, 02:34

Aninteresting story about U-35 dropping off sailors from the sunken MV Diamantis:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 90213.html
"Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, in land, and in the air." - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder.

HaEn
In memoriam

Post by HaEn » 13 Jul 2011, 03:47

Dr Salka.jpg
This is the man who arranged the "wounded gathering cease fire" at Arnhem. I had the privilege to work two days several hours in this effort.
HN

HaEn
In memoriam

Post by HaEn » 13 Jul 2011, 03:50

haen1a.jpg
haen1a.jpg (31.34 KiB) Viewed 2377 times
And this was yours truly, at 17 years old, "over there'. HN

JamesL

Post by JamesL » 13 Jul 2011, 15:37

HaEn - my wife thinks that you look very handsome.

We at AHF are very fortunate to have a 'primary source of information' here.

May I encourage you to write down your wartime experiences. It doesn't have to be in the form of a book for massive pubication. Just a 10 or 20 page ( or whatever) Microsoft document. Maybe years from now someone will look at it and say "This is very valuable information."

My acquaintances who served in the German military have passed on and I am beginning to forget what they told me. Even the stories my father told me of his service in the USN in the Pacific are not as sharp as they used to be.

HaEn
In memoriam

Post by HaEn » 14 Jul 2011, 19:15

Hi James,
quote: HaEn - my wife thinks that you look very handsome."end quote. :)
Thanks "wife" !!; actually I think I had a baby face. However, my better half married me in 1953, after we "went" together (part for me in camps) since 1947. So: As Juie Andrews sang in the Sound of Music "Somewhere in my youth or child hood, i must have done something good" :o :oops:
Anyway it was at the time my understanding that i was the youngest Sanitäter of my unit. Actually I had a dual role: Kradmelder as well as Kranken träger.
Oh yes, and i wrote a "book"; but my wife got cold feet and fears backlash against the family name. So i think i leave it up to my daughter(s) to have it printed after we both have met beyond the river.
Greetings from the far west
HN.

JamesL

Post by JamesL » 15 Jul 2011, 21:08

I can appreciate your caution.

The late owner of the local German American restaurant, formerly of the 7th SS Division, basically told me the same thing.

I guess we will have to wait another 30 or more years before we see your writings.

HaEn
In memoriam

Post by HaEn » 15 Jul 2011, 23:38

Waiting ???? I am 84 1/2, start counting DAYS :lol: :x :cry:
L>O>L>

H.N.

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Post by G. Trifkovic » 18 Jul 2011, 03:09

Hi all,

I have two examples from Yugoslavia.

First one is from June 1943 and is recounted by F.W.D.Deakin, member of the first mission sent to Tito's HQ. He quotes a story (published in Yugoslavia in 1966) according to which Germans arrived in a village on the Durmitor Mountain, Montenegro and met only one old man. When asked which houses belong to Partisan families he replied "None but mine." -"How come?" -"I have a son and five grandsons and all are with the Partisans. Two of them already died fighting against you." - "And where is the rest of the people who live here?" -"Somewhere on the mountain." Deakin: "German officer in charge of the patrol ordered all houses burnt down and, in an act of chivalry, spared the one of the old man, posting a guard in front of it."

(F.W.D. Deakin, The Embattled Mountain, Yugoslav ed., Nolit, Beograd 1973, 52.)

Second story is from February-March 1943 and was written in his diary a year later by Gojko Nikolis, head of the Medical Section of the Supreme Headquarters. Mileva Banjac from Drinici (near Bosanski Petrovac, BiH) recounted how Germans caught up with her and some twenty other refugees and opened fire. She was hit five times but survived, feigning death until Germans were gone (four others survived as well). Banjac: "Tommorow in Vrletina I met the Germans who dressed my wounds and sent me to our hospital in Slatina[...] There were good people among the Germans too."

(Gojko Nikoliš, Korijen, stablo, pavetina: memoari, Liber, Zagreb 1981, 578.)

Cheers,

Gaius

murx

Post by murx » 19 Jul 2011, 07:12

1939 German U-Boat rescue commemorated on the Dingle Peninsula
http://www.dinglenews.com/news.asp?id=2947

Cumann Staire Fionn Trá (Ventry Historical Society) hosted a special commemoration last weekend of the landing of the German submarine (U-35) and the crew of a Greek freighter west of Dingle at Ventry Harbour on October 4th, 1939. Beginning at 3pm on the Green in Ventry, his Excellency, the German Ambassador, Dr. Busso von Alvensleben unveiled a memorial to the landing of 28 Greek sailors, rescued by U-35 after it had sunk their vessel, Diamantis, off the coast of Cornwall on 3rd October 1939. A reception was hosted afterwards in nearby Quinn’s pub followed at 4.30pm by a visit to an exhibition of documents and memorabilia from the early period of the war in 1939-40, in Áras Chaitlíona, Ventry. Most of the documents in the exhibition had not been viewed publically before. Amongst them were contemporary accounts of U-35/Diamantis in the Irish and foreign media; secret reports on activities along the coast in the Irish Military Archives; the correspondence of the German ambassador, Eduard Hempel, with the German Foreign Office; a letter from Earl Mountbatten to U-35 captain, Werner Lott, on the occasion of the latter’s 70th birthday and the latter’s reply. Information on the background of the captain of the Diamantis, Panagos Pateras of the island of Chios and on the maritime tradition of his family were also unveiled as were records of the Greek sailors in Dingle hospital; a genuine example of the uniform worn by the crew of U-35 and photographs of British and German aircraft which crashed in this district during the war.
UBO.PNG

murx

Post by murx » 19 Jul 2011, 07:22

U BOOT INCIDENT NR. 2 THE LACONIA

The survivor of a German U-Boat attack on a British ship during World War II has described a drama about the episode as "brilliant".
Jo Pratchett, 82, now lives at Aldwincle, near Oundle.
In 1942 she and her parents and younger brother had escaped from Singapore after the Japanese invasion.
They were onboard The Laconia, sailing towards England. After sinking the vessel, the U-Boat commander ordered a rescue operation.
The Laconia - an old cruiser which had been turned into a troop ship - was taking the family from South Africa back to England.
'Dumb struck'
Other civilian refugees were also on board, along with about 1,800 Italian prisoners of war and their Polish guards.

When the first of two German U-Boat torpedoes struck The Laconia, Mrs Pratchett and her family were in their cabin.
"We were dumb struck. The ship lurched violently. The noise was horrendous and then the second [torpedo] struck," recalled Mrs Pratchett, who was 14 at the time.
Lifeboat
Jo Pratchett looks at a photo of herself and her brother
Jo and her brother Alex shared the wartime drama
After a struggle, the family managed to board a lifeboat and get away from the ship before it sank.

"We somehow got through the night, " said Mrs Pratchett.
"All the time you could hear cries from people in the water but they gradually died away.
"When dawn broke we'd got two people hanging onto the side of the boat pleading to get in. There just wasn't room. It was awful."

They were stranded on the lifeboat for four days. Mrs Pratchett said that around 60 people were on board the boat, which was designed to hold 30.
Daily rations included one sip of water in the morning and another at night, two Horlicks tablets, part of a ships' biscuit and a portion of dried meat.

Rescue
The BBC two-part drama written by Alan Bleasdale focuses on the rescue operation which was ordered by the German U-Boat commander who had sunk the ship.
When Werner Hartenstein saw women and children in the water, he ordered the rescue and called other submarines to help out.
"They gave us food and we slept the night on the officers bunks," said Mrs Pratchett.
"But the next morning, the captain announced he had to put us back in the lifeboats because they'd been bombed by an American plane.
"Things like that happen in war. Mistakes are made."
Mrs Pratchett is full of praise for Commander Hartenstein.
"I couldn't believe it at the time because we were supposed to be at war," she said.

Tougher

A Vichy French cruiser finally rescued Jo and her family and took them to Dakar, West Africa. An outbreak of Yellow Fever meant the family were sent Northwards to Casablanca in Morocco and then taken overland to a desert internment camp.

Nearly 70 years on, Mrs Pratchett reflected that the events may have "made me tougher."

She added with a laugh: "I don't do cruises now. I'd rather stick pins in my eyes!"

Werner Hartenstein should be remembered.
I like lots of people probably watched the short drama/documentary on BBC two last night.

However, I think this act of humanity should never be forgotten. Nor should the stupidity of I'm ashamed to say not only the Americans but of one English Officer who, was to comfortable in his life to take any risk. It was a lack of communication overall, that was the main reason for this tragedy.

The Laconia Incident - Now Dramatised as The Sinking of the Laconia by Alan Bleasdale
Image Credit Wikimedia
The Atlantic Ocean can be an unforgiving place at the best of times. During the Second World War, combatants on both sides were at peril both from the ocean and the enemy. On 12 September 1942, the British ship RMS Laconia, which was armed, was torpedoed and sunk by a German U-boat 156.

Yet that was not the end of the story. What unfolded was a remarkable tale of heroism and events both remarkable and ultimately truly unfortunate for many of those involved. The U-boat surfaced, its commander hoping to capture the senior crew of the ship. The horrified crew instead saw over 2000 people in the water.

The Germans had not known that they had just destroyed a PoW ship. The survivors of the sinking were six hundred miles from the coast of Africa. There were over sixty British civilians and over 400 British and Polish troops. Their cargo had been a strange one – 1800 Italian prisoners of war. The first irony of the situation then, was that the German U-boat had imperilled many of its own allies.

The survivors faced a certain and protracted watery death.

Then, the U-Boat commander Werner Hartenstein (left), made an extraordinary decision that went beyond all protocol.

He ordered the U-boat to surface he ordered his submariners to save as many of the marooned survivors as possible.

This act of humanity would save the lives of many hundreds of people. Yet the tragedy of the Laconia was not over yet.
Artist: John Meeks
Over the course of forty eight hours the crew of the U-156 saved over 400 people. Yet the sheer numbers created a new problem. 200 could be crammed aboard and atop of the submarine – yet the remainder had to be towed behind in a series of lifeboats strung together. Hartenstein gave orders – he asked for a communiqué to be sent to the Allies requesting a rescue ship.

His message was plain and simple. Broadcast on the 25 meter band in clear English it said “If any ship will assist the ship-wrecked Laconia crew, I will not attack providing I am not being attacked by ship or air forces. I picked up 193 men. 4, 53 South, 11, 26 West. ― German submarine.” He continued to rescue more survivors after the message was sent, including 5 women.

The French Vichy government dispatched two warships from Senegal. The U-boat was then joined by two others German submarines (U-506 and U-507) and an Italian one, the Cappellini. With the four submarines, their gun decks draped in Red Cross flags headed towards the rendezvous point. The survivors on the top decks of the submarines were bewildered but no doubt happy to be alive.

This story on its own would be remarkable enough. Yet fate had a cruel twist in store.

The U-Boat and its strange cargo were spotted by an American B-24 bomber on the morning of 16 September. It radioed its base Commander, Captain Robert C Richardson who then had to make the hardest decision of his life.

The U-boats, to anyone not fully aware of the situation, would have been seen to be behaving in a highly suspicious manner. First and foremost the rules of war did not allow a combat ship to fly Red Cross flags so the fact that the U-boats were doing this was extremely irregular. Secondly, their British allies were also fearful of the U-boats, despite the fact they had diverted two of their freighters to the area. The fear was that the U-boats, carrying so many Italians, would choose to destroy the freighters.

Richardson feared that the secret airfield and fuelling depot on Ascension would also be discovered – and destroyed – by the Germans. The airfield and its supplies were vital to the Allied war effort in North Africa and Russia.

Richardson ordered Lieutenant James D. Harden, the pilot of the B-24 bomber which had spotted the convoy of submarines back to the area. It bombed and depth charged the vicinity, one landing among the lifeboats behind U-156, others straddled the submarine. Hartenstein had no other choice. He cast the survivors adrift and dived to the depths, escaping destruction.

Hundreds of the survivors perished in the attack and its aftermath. However, the French vessels arrived several hours later and approximately 1,500 of the passengers survived. The consequences to many were severe – Admiral Donitz of the German Navy forbad any further rescues of crews whose ships had been destroyed. Although U-boats occasionally disobeyed him, generally they followed his order.

To this day the controversy of the incident persists – how much required assistance and protection should military forces give to non-combatants caught up in sea battles? Several of the combatants and other survivors involved give their account of the Laconia Incident tonight on BBC two.

Sadly Werner Hartenstein, although, he received an iron cross, was separated from his beloved crew, of which respected and loved him, and vice versa.
This ultimately broke his heart.
He was given a new crew, and in his first misson since the Laconia Incident, his U-boat was bombed on the 13th March 1940.

There were no survivor
http://ashleymorwennadale.blogspot.com/ ... bered.html
Last edited by murx on 19 Jul 2011, 07:35, edited 1 time in total.

murx

Post by murx » 19 Jul 2011, 07:32

At the Rape of Nanking: A Nazi Who Saved Lives
By DAVID W. CHEN
Published: December 12, 1996

Sign In to E-Mail
Print
Single-Page

When the invading Japanese Army overran the Nationalist Chinese capital in December 1937, soldiers embarked on a two-month rampage of looting, rape and killing that left tens of thousands of Chinese civilians dead in what became known as the Rape of Nanking.

Now a recently unearthed diary reveals an unlikely rescuer of thousands of Chinese: a German businessman living in China who was the leader of the local Nazi organization.

The businessman, John Rabe, kept a 1,200-page diary that provides a rare third-party account of the atrocities. In it, he writes of digging foxholes in his backyard to shelter 650 Chinese and of repelling Japanese troops who tried to climb over the wall, of dashing through war-torn areas to deliver rice, and of stopping Japanese soldiers from raping Chinese women. He even wrote to Hitler to complain about the Japanese actions.

''These escapades were quite dangerous,'' he wrote in his diary. ''The Japanese had pistols and bayonets and I -- as mentioned before -- had only party symbols and my swastika armband.''Mr. Rabe (pronounced RAH-bay), who died in 1950, lived and worked in China from 1908 to 1938. His diary sheds light on a heretofore little-known man, who, although a Nazi loyalist, risked his life and his status to save people who would later become his country's enemies. Indeed, Mr. Rabe's outspoken support for the Chinese upon his return to Germany appears to have ruined his career.

Some who have followed his case say that he, like Oskar Schindler, the German industrialist who protected Jews under very different circumstances, offers another example of the durability of humanitarian impulses in the cruelest of times.

Scholars say Mr. Rabe's diary, which includes reports from other foreign observers, photos and other memorabilia, is valuable not so much for revealing new historical facts, but because it provides an unusually detailed and personal account from a German witness to an incident considered among the most brutal in modern warfare. They believe the diary to be authentic, because American missionaries in China who were Mr. Rabe's contemporaries knew of his actions and supplied similar accounts of atrocities.

The diary also offers a counterweight to claims by some Japanese officials who have long denied either the existence or the scale of the massacre in Nanking, which is now known as Nanjing.

'It's an incredibly gripping and depressing narrative, done very carefully with an enormous amount of detail and drama,'' said William C. Kirby, a professor of modern Chinese history at Harvard University, who has read parts of the diary in German. ''It will reopen this case in a very important way in that people can go through the day-by-day account and add 100 to 200 stories to what is popularly known.''

The diary has only now come to light because of the efforts of Iris Chang, a Sunnyvale, Calif., author. While researching a book on the Nanjing massacre a few years ago, she stumbled upon a few references to Mr. Rabe's humanitarian efforts. She tracked down Mr. Rabe's granddaughter, Ursula Reinhardt, in Berlin, and upon discovering that Mr. Rabe had kept a diary, persuaded the family to make it public.

That will formally happen today at a news conference at the Hotel Intercontinental in New York, with Mrs. Reinhardt among those expected to attend. The public announcement is being organized by the Alliance in Memory of Victims of the Nanjing Massacre, a Chinese-American group, said Tzuping Shao, a past president. Eventually, copies of the diary are to be donated to Yale Divinity School Library and Nanjing Massacre Memorial Hall, in China.
Martha L. Smalley, research services librarian at Yale Divinity School, said Mr. Rabe's accounts are corroborated by documents on display at a current Yale exhibition called ''American Missionary Eyewitnesses to the Nanjing Massacre.''

One such missionary, Robert O. Wilson, a Harvard-trained doctor who worked in China in the 1930's, wrote of Mr. Rabe:

''He is well up in Nazi circles and after coming into such close contact with him as we have for the past few weeks and discover$(ing$) what a splendid man he is and what a tremendous heart he has, it is hard to reconcile his personality with his adulation of 'Der Fuhrer.' ''

It is not clear whether Mr. Rabe embraced the oppression of Jews and other groups in Nazi Germany. He lived outside Germany during the time of Hitler's rise to power, and there is no record of the extent of his activities in the Nazi Party after he returned to Germany in 1938, according to Ms. Chang. Because scholars, who received the diary only a few days ago, have not finished reading it, they cannot say if it contains expressions of anti-Semitism

ut Mr. Rabe was outspoken in his support for Nazism. In a lecture he delivered after his return to Germany in February 1938, he said, ''Although I feel tremendous sympathy for the suffering of China, I am still, above all, pro-German and I believe not only in the correctness of our political system but, as an organizer of the party, I am behind the system 100 percent.''

Born in Hamburg in 1882, Mr. Rabe spent much of his life in China working for the Siemens Company, rising to become its top representative there, selling telephones, turbines and electrical equipment. His children and grandchildren were born in China, and he had many Chinese friends. He spoke Chinese fluently.

But by 1937, Hitler's Germany was shifting its loyalties away from China and toward Japan. So when Japanese forces converged on Nanjing, many Germans who were working in China felt torn, Professor Kirby said.

Mr. Rabe was ordered by Siemens to leave for the safer grounds of Wuhan, a few hundred miles west on the Yangtze River. But he refused. Instead, he became chairman of a group of about two dozen German and American missionaries, doctors and professors who established a neutral zone in Nanjing as a haven for Chinese refugees.
was a daunting task. Mr. Rabe witnessed people who were shot, doused with gasoline and burned alive. He saw bodies of women lanced with beer bottles and bamboo sticks.

In his diary entry for Jan. 1, 1938, Mr. Rabe wrote: ''The mother of a young attractive girl called out to me, and throwing herself on her knees, crying, said I should help her. Upon entering $(the house$), I saw a Japanese soldier lying completely naked on a young girl, who was crying hysterically. I yelled at this swine, in any language it would be understood, 'Happy New Year!' and he fled from there, naked and with his pants in his hand.''

In another entry, referring to the Chinese he had hidden, Mr. Rabe wrote that it was hard to sleep with 650 people snoring in his backyard. On Dec. 10, with water and power failing and the city ringed by fire, he noticed that his canary, Peter, sang in rhythm to the sound of gunfire.

Upon his return to Germany in February 1938, Mr. Rabe wrote a letter to Hitler, asking him to persuade Japan to stop the atrocities. But he was arrested by the Gestapo, interrogated for three days and ordered to keep silent on the subject.
From there Mr. Rabe's life headed into a downward spiral. Between 1938 and 1945, Mr. Rabe worked on and off for the Siemens Company, including a brief stint in Afghanistan.

As World War II intensified, Mr. Rabe wrote increasingly in his diary about hunger and the ravages of war; he and his family in Berlin had to eat nettles and acorn soup.

Because Mr. Rabe was one of the about 9 percent of Germans who were members of the Nazi party, he had to petition to be de-Nazified by the Allies after the war in order to hold a job. His first petition was denied, and Mr. Rabe had to appeal.

Ultimately, in June 1946, Mr. Rabe was granted de-Nazification status because of his humanitarian acts in China, according to Ms. Chang. But the investigation proved draining, and he died of a stroke in 1950.

''He was humiliated because he had to go through de-Nazification,'' Mrs. Reinhardt said in a telephone interview from her home in Berlin.Mr. Rabe's diary may bolster the efforts of Chinese organizations like Mr. Shao's alliance, who contend that as many as 300,000 Chinese were killed in Nanjing massacres, to extract an apology, or possibly war reparations, from the Japanese Government. Unlike Germany, Japan has been perceived as resisting responsibility for wartime atrocities. Some high-ranking Japanese officials, including a former Minister of Justice, Shigeto Nagano, maintain the incident never happened.

Ms. Chang, whose book, ''The Rape of Nanking: The Forgotten Holocaust of World War II,'' is to be published next year by Basic Books, said of Mr. Rabe: ''I think he felt that he could make a difference, that if Germany knew what Japan was doing, then maybe Germany could have influenced Japan to stop it. It may have been naivete. But to me, John Rabe is the Oskar Schindler of China, another example of good in the face of evil.''

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/12/12/world ... tml?src=pm

Kingfish

Post by Kingfish » 19 Jul 2011, 18:55

G. Trifkovic wrote:
JonS wrote:
G. Trifkovic wrote:First one is from June 1943 and is recounted by F.W.D.Deakin, member of the first mission sent to Tito's HQ. He quotes a story (published in Yugoslavia in 1966) according to which Germans arrived in a village on the Durmitor Mountain, Montenegro and met only one old man. When asked which houses belong to Partisan families he replied "None but mine." -"How come?" -"I have a son and five grandsons and all are with the Partisans. Two of them already died fighting against you." - "And where is the rest of the people who live here?" -"Somewhere on the mountain." Deakin: "German officer in charge of the patrol ordered all houses burnt down and, in an act of chivalry, spared the one of the old man, posting a guard in front of it."

(F.W.D. Deakin, The Embattled Mountain, Yugoslav ed., Nolit, Beograd 1973, 52.)
lolwut? Burning down the village was ok because he didn't burn down the whole village? That's a pretty retarded take on chivalry or honour.
JonS,

it's not retarded if one knows the realties of war in Montenegro in 1943. For instance, during the same "Operation Schwarz" Axis executed 1,437 civilians from Durmitor county (total population: 11,000) and burned down some 50 villages in the area. Not to mention the massacre of some 1,000 wounded Partisans not far away from there. Deakin knows what he's speaking of.

G.
Using this logic we should award 2nd SS Pz for for burning down just Oradour-sur-Glane.

JonS

Post by JonS » 19 Jul 2011, 22:59

... and Arthur Harris should get it for only bombing Dresden twice.

Snarka

Post by Snarka » 27 Aug 2011, 23:05

HaEn wrote:Waiting ???? I am 84 1/2, start counting DAYS :lol: :x :cry:
L>O>L>

H.N.
Let us count not days, but many years yet! Ernst Jünger, who survived two world wars, lived to 102 years and kept clarity of mind to the end - this, with his many battle wounds, and smoking all his life : ). I hope you have yet a long life before you and your wife, and wish you good health with all my heart! And let this book wait as long as it must be: better a living man and safety of his family, than any book. Meanwhile, it's very precious to see words of somebody who really "was there". I follow your posts for many years. Some of them are even translated into Russian : ). Maybe you don't have a published work, but you already have some fans, even in such remote countries.

P.S.: I agree with JamesL's wife about your photo: indeed, very handsome : ) and you have such a nice and contagious smile! A really good photo, thank you very much for sharing!

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”