What image or event of 2nd World War has moved you the most?

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Angelo

Post by Angelo » 14 Jan 2003, 11:05

Hi Scott,

It's kind of strange.

I DID NOT MAKE ANY SPECIOUS LABELS AT ALL!

If there's one having already done it it's you.

One example:

Scott Smith wrote:
Anne Frank survived Auschwitz. Evidently she was only deloused.
Any one NOT acquainted with the Anne Frank experience is only BOUND TO THINK she SURVIVED her internment in the Lager facilities. Period

That is just a TOTALLY MISLEADING info, because she died within one of
those lagers, thanks to malnutrition and all other kind of privations she
had been subject since the first day of her UNMOTIVATED AND CRIMINAL
incarceration. Typhus was nothing else than the final cause for her death
which was no doubt advantaged by the miserable, starving conditions the
inmates were forced to live in.

That being stated, the only one who plays the hypocritic game of supplying
half truths leading to TOTAL LIES (if one doesn't already know how things
stand about them), and then falsely accuse others of following your despicable ways, that one is YOU.

I hoped you did understand how totally unacceptable is such a routine, but
evidently I was wrong.

Angelo

PS: No, that foto has nothing to do with the one I remember. And then,
prove they went to delousing facilities when 6.000.000 (+-) cases show
that from a shot in the head to a breathe of gas was all that was reserved
to people who fell in the hands of your beloved civilizators.

Scott Smith

Post by Scott Smith » 15 Jan 2003, 06:01

Angelo wrote:Hi Scott,

It's kind of strange.

I DID NOT MAKE ANY SPECIOUS LABELS AT ALL!
I didn't say you did but the website you got the photo from did, and this was the case at yet-another website that hosted that photo that I found with a ten-second Google search.
Angelo wrote:If there's one having already done it it's you.

One example:
Scott Smith wrote:Anne Frank survived Auschwitz. Evidently she was only deloused.
Any one NOT acquainted with the Anne Frank experience is only BOUND TO THINK she SURVIVED her internment in the Lager facilities. Period.
She did survive Auschwitz, so evidently she wasn't gassed on her way past Krema III, although she probably was deloused at the Sauna.

Every schoolkid knows that Anne Frank died in the Holocaust, more specifically of typhus and overcrowding at Belsen, where she was evacuated to at the end of the war.

But it is a bit inconvenient to mention that she survived Auschwitz.

Some 25 million people had their clothing and belonings deloused with cyanide gas by 1944, according to wartime technical literature, basically anybody moving to and from eastern territories, and this experience includes camp populations. Some photo-captions showing people trudging off to gaschambers without some support regarding their actual fate is nothing more than Greuelpropaganda.

I didn't say that incarceration of wartime "aliens" was a justifiable or a humane policy, so I'm not sure why you are getting so excited. It makes a good photo, I will agree to that.

Here is my famous photo: The Ghetto Boy. But, here again, the captions are often misleading. Little Zvi Nussbaum was not gassed at all but is today a New York physician. I don't know about the other people in the photo. Lots of poignant images in wartime.
:)

witness

Post by witness » 15 Jan 2003, 09:11

Scott. I also don't understand why you are making such a fuss about dishonesty.
There is nothing dishonest here.The chances that this old lady with her children would be gassed are absolutely overwhelming simply because it is obvious they are not fit for the forced labour .
And also this is the fact that overwhelming majority of the unfit for such labour Jewish inmates didn't survive the Nazi icaptivity.And yes most likely they would be gassed.
I think that it is really dishonest not to admitt it on your part.

Scott Smith

Post by Scott Smith » 15 Jan 2003, 09:41

witness wrote:There is nothing dishonest here.The chances that this old lady with her children would be gassed are absolutely overwhelming simply because it is obvious they are not fit for the forced labour.
I think that "most likely" is a pretty vicious assumption. I pointed out two examples of persons who were obviously useless-eaters who were not gassed.

Hey, just call me a gadfly.
:wink:

Angelo

Post by Angelo » 18 Jan 2003, 01:53

No extra excitement, Scott.

It only takes your kind of HolyPropaganda for your Nazi idols to make
even a toothaching sleepless dog start laughing its tooth out with no
need for a vet.

The truth is that your reference to Anne Frank is totally misleading to
any one (millions and millions of them everywhere) who, either due
to their being young or simply to not having studied that chapter, would
read such a statement.

Never mind, it's all clear now.

Sieg Heil! And if you are just sick and tired with "Gruelprop" you can
join that old 78 singing "Wenn J**** Blut sollt spritzen...." and you'll
sure feel better. That's not "Gruelprop", just natural Nazi flavor from
the old days.
Enjoy!

Angelo

Scott Smith

Attics in the Annex...

Post by Scott Smith » 18 Jan 2003, 07:33

Angelo wrote:The truth is that your reference to Anne Frank is totally misleading to any one (millions and millions of them everywhere) who, either due to their being young or simply to not having studied that chapter, would read such a statement.
Do any students not know of Anne Frank? I doubt it. They can't tell you who is buried in Grant's tomb as far as history goes, or find Texas on the map, but they know that Anne Frank died in the Holocaust. What they also don't know--and are not taught--is that she survived Auschwitz. A curious omission, IMHO. I never went beyond that point.
:)

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 18 Jan 2003, 13:24

This thread is not about Anne Frank, so get back on topic.

/Marcus

qdave

Post by qdave » 20 Jan 2003, 03:33

this ones:

Lobscouse

Childhood memories

Post by Lobscouse » 20 Jan 2003, 07:04

Among my childhood memories, in wartime England, are these;

Hundreds of ragtag British (and some French, if memory serves)
soldiers, marching the short distance from our railway station to
our local Football Club grounds. They were a small part of the
army rescued from Dunkirk, and were dispersed to the four corners of
the kingdom. The grounds had a high corrugated steel fence, but did
not stop us from entering and running errands for the troops, in
exchange for French coins which we threaded on string. They must
have been sorted out for other destinations, because I only recall
that one day.

A little less than one year later, the May Blitz on Merseyside, and
Bryant & Mays matchworks bombed. The civil defence workers
were too busy doing other things to keep the kids from from looting
the mountain of book matches that burst onto the street after the
factory walls collapsed.

The only thing that seemed to move youngsters in those days was cod liver oil. Just thought I'd mention it, as the thread was becoming a bit too pictorial, and needs to be lightened up a bit.

barbarosa
Banned

the one where the germans tear down the polish border

Post by barbarosa » 20 Jan 2003, 08:35

i havent seen it in a while. but it's a pic of german troops tearing down a polish border crossing arm bar. the arm bar had a polish double headed eagle on it i believe.

it moved me, because the germans believed they were liberating their land from outsiders. they looked so proud!

i found it
Attachments
nazibordereagle1.jpg
nazibordereagle1.jpg (11.65 KiB) Viewed 2721 times

SS-Researcher

Post by SS-Researcher » 15 Feb 2003, 19:46

This is a very moving picture in my opinion:
Attachments
soldatstirbt.JPG
soldatstirbt.JPG (68.41 KiB) Viewed 2722 times

CHRISCHA

Moving event of WW2.

Post by CHRISCHA » 15 Feb 2003, 20:24

Probably the one image of all that I have seen that has made me stop and think is because I have a very young son. It is of a woman being pushed into a group of women by a Ukranien soldier and her small boy of about three years old being pulled away from her and pushed in the direction of a building. I don't know what nationality the victims are, and I don't think it is relevant, but it is upsetting because the mother doesn't even attempt to stay with her child. She just follows the direction. The child is clearly upset, and runs to his mother, the soldiers ignore this and they stay together. The next run of film is of the female group including the boy being shot with rifles.

Maple 01

Post by Maple 01 » 16 Feb 2003, 00:14

I meant to respond to this topic a while back but couldn't find the photos I was thinking of.

There is a very disturbing one of a REME engineer at Belsen wearing a gauze mask while pushing corpses into a mass grave with a 'dozer- they had no other option but to bury the bodies quickly to prevent the spread of typhoid but it is shocking to see human beings piled up on the blade of the vehicle.

Another, probably taken by the same Army photographer, shows captured SS men being forced to unload the dead from trucks into the pits, as if that wasn't revolting enough - not that the SS 'men' deserved to be spared the task, they are being guarded by some front-line Tommies who look rightly outraged about the camp and it's conditions. It's the only photo I've ever seen of British soldiers on the Western front so clearly struggling to maintain control of themselves. Each one has his hands on the working parts of their weapons - you only do that if you're thinking about fireing - God knows what inner strength they had not to wipe out the SS murders they captured.

Other than the atrocity stuff

The fighting for Arnhem is quite moving:

Enclosed two photos from the battle, one titled 'Victory in defeat!'

The other photo shows of one of the mortar sections of the Scottish Borderers at Arnhem, look at the angle on the mortar tube, almost vertical - meaning the Germans are very close.

There is a piece of card found in a wrecked house after the battle which is now displayed in the Hartenstein hotel museum which has the words 'F*** Jerry, never surrender!' written on it, which sums up the Airborne spirit

Regards

-Nick
Attachments
PicBorderMortar.jpg
PicBorderMortar.jpg (47.32 KiB) Viewed 2705 times
scan0002.jpg
Someone was asking about the photo where a Para gives 'the fingers' to a German war photographer
scan0002.jpg (93.75 KiB) Viewed 2705 times

J. Penn

Post by J. Penn » 16 Feb 2003, 03:48

Dr. Tempura wrote:Two famous pics of the Nanking massacre.

I must admit that as a fancier of Japanese swords, I've always wondered about the sword in this image. Is it a fine gendai-to or an even finer antique? As truly evil as it is, I can imagine actually being enthusiastic to test the worth of traditional Japanese swordmaking on a human target, "tameshigiri" as they called sword testing in the samurai era, often carried out on captured enemies or condemned criminals.

The british para giving the rude salute resembles my father strongly. Of course it is not, my father was a 70's peacetime US infantryman...

~J.Penn

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 16 Feb 2003, 03:55

Thanks Nick, that was exactly the photo I meant.

Best regards/ Daniel

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”