What image or event of 2nd World War has moved you the most?

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 20 Jul 2002, 13:04

Thanks Scott,

The moving image within the link doesn't do the scene justice as you can't actually see the men moving on the keel.

Again thank you, Andy

Scott Smith

Re: re

Post by Scott Smith » 20 Jul 2002, 13:14

tonyh wrote:For me its a pic of two soldiers. One German and one British talking and passing a cigarette between them. It was taken in Dunkirk in '44 during a German called truce to allow French civilians to evacuate the battle area. It clearly demolishes all the stupid wartime and post-wartime propaganda of the German soldier in one sweep.
Was it like this one from WWI?
:)

Phil V

Post by Phil V » 20 Jul 2002, 14:28

I cannot stop watching 1934 Nuremberg Rally footage.

The images always bring a lump to my throat.

In a word - emotive.

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 20 Jul 2002, 16:55

Riefenstahl's images of the 1935 rally were much better than those in the 1934 film, don't you think?

kobold

Re: Images- "Haints"

Post by kobold » 20 Jul 2002, 17:58

Was it similar to this one from the Spanish Civil War?
:)

Image[/quote]

I havent seen most or all of the images mentioned by people except for this spanish civil war one.

Dave

Lord Gort

Post by Lord Gort » 20 Jul 2002, 18:34

My favourite image is of pig obstinate Churchill with his 3-4 divisions in southern England basically giving Hitler and his 120 divisions the finger.

There has only been one year (1967) that British servicemen have not been killed in action somewhere in the world since 1945.

White Leopard

Photo

Post by White Leopard » 20 Jul 2002, 22:06

Scott, it might be the same picture. I will have to go downstairs and dig up the book and look. It's been a while since I've had that particular book out since it is a "young person's" version of the war and written in the late '50's as well. I seldom use or look at it any more.

As you get older, the memory goes and plays tricks on you. :lol:

But even if it is the same picture and not from the war itself, I am still impacted it. Strong stuff!!! 8O

Zachary

Post by Zachary » 21 Jul 2002, 00:12

The picture that I guessed "moved" me the most was one of three Hitler Youth boys that had been captured. One still had his helmet and uniform but the expression on his face was proud, cruel, and sort of scary looking.

Lehr Division

Re:

Post by Lehr Division » 21 Jul 2002, 05:08

Its this picture in one of the magazine that i have it shows medics/doctor from both side helping the wounded,and the dead during early winter 1944, in the forests of Huertgen on the Belgian-German border.It just show to me that even among the wreakage of this war there is still humanity flowing around the battle field.They seperated their differences and came not as bitter enemy but as healers of fallen soldiers. :o

Homer martin

hi

Post by Homer martin » 21 Jul 2002, 05:22

The flag raising on Iwo Jima.
The one picture of the war that says Victory.

Dan

Re: hi

Post by Dan » 21 Jul 2002, 05:25

Homer martin wrote:The flag raising on Iwo Jima.
Do you know the Jonny Cash song about Ira Hayes?

Regards

kobold

Re: hi

Post by kobold » 21 Jul 2002, 06:26

Homer martin wrote:The flag raising on Iwo Jima.

This one:

http://www.walkerboyz.pwp.blueyonder.co ... wojima.jpg

I seem to recall that this was a posed pic ?

Even so it certainly is a symbolic picture.

I always felt sorry for the guy on the left :"what did you do in the war grandad?" "I couldn't reach the flag at Iwo Jima"

Were these men's identities recorded anywhere?

Did they all survive the war?

Dave.

Dr. Tempura

Post by Dr. Tempura » 21 Jul 2002, 09:01

Two famous pics of the Nanking massacre.

Homer martin

hi

Post by Homer martin » 21 Jul 2002, 09:17

The names of the flag raiser in the photo:
From left to right front roll:
Ira Hayes, Frankin Sousley (kia), John Bradley (wia), Harlon Block (kia)
Second roll:
Mike Strank (kia), Rene Gagnon

Most of these men where from E company, all where from the 2nd Battalion 28th Marines.

The 2nd Battalion of the 28th Marines landed on Iwo Jima on D-Day with 1400 men; 288 replacements were provided as the battle when on, a total of 1688. Of these 1511 had been killed or wounded. Only 177 lefted the Island after the battle of these 91 had been wounded at least once and retruned to the battle.

John Bradley medic, won the Silver Star.

There should be a movie made on E company. I have read 12 books on Iwo and no statement says it better than "Uncommon valor was a common virtue."

There is a great book on this subject:
Flag of Our Fathers
by James Bradley

The author is the son of John Bradley

The back of the 45mm has a boy name sue on it?

This picture wasn't posed its the second to last photo on the roll of film that Joe Rosenthal shot that day, the last photo on the roll was posed its called the Gung Ho shot. When Joe was asked by wire if he posed the shot he said yes thinking they where talking about the Gung Ho shot, this was four days after he had taken the photo of the flag raising. He had not seen the photo of the flag raising and thought it may have been blured when he took it, and thought the wire was talking about the good Gung Ho shot he took that day. It wasn't till after almost seven more days he found out he took the best photo of the war, and told everyone the photo wasn't posed.
There is one other photo and one film of the flag raising on Iwo and both set the record straight. The other photo is taken from another angle showing the first flag coming down as the second flag is raised. The film shows the action from the time the poll is set down to tie the flag on till it is raised over Iwo, never in the action is a shot posed.

/hgm

I hope this helps and can someone please post the gung ho shot and the flag raising shot for everyone to see.

thanks
Homer

Polynike

Post by Polynike » 21 Jul 2002, 13:16

Reading some accounts and letters of sixth army soldiers after the kessel had closed around Stalingrad, especially their hopes for relief and the realisation that deliverance was not forthcoming.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”