Popular Beer in Nazi Germany

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
gary7344

Re: Popular Beer in Nazi Germany

Post by gary7344 » 23 Mar 2008, 13:20

Unterseeboot crew celebrating with Becks. I scanned this image from Buchheims' book; U-Boat War
Attachments
img002.jpg
img002.jpg (21.92 KiB) Viewed 5803 times

scheckter

Post by scheckter » 16 Mar 2010, 20:27

Berliner Kindl (brewery opened in 1872) and Schultheiss (1842) beers would have been popular in the Berlin area and Köstritzer (schwarzbier) also in eastern areas of Germany.

Bernaschek

Post by Bernaschek » 27 Mar 2010, 21:25

a few more general things on beer, without especial source study, rather "oral history" from my younger years.

In 1841 the "Schwechater" brewery in Schwechat brewed the first modern Lagerbeer (untergärig) as we know it today. This had quite a succes - Lager means storage - this beer could be stored longer ans as such transported further than older beertypes.
Beer had not really been store- or transportable before, and therefore small breweries dotted the landscape.
In roughly the same period as the "Lager-Beer" was developed, railways and other means of transport like steam-river boats and coastal freighters began to develop - and the concentration of the beer market began.
Bottled beer was also a development of the industrial revolution - cheaper bottles and technologie to fill and especially technology to close them airtight (at a sustainable price).
A lot of developments is also created by laws like taxation and so on; in some coutries today beer in the restaurant is still hardly more expensive than in the shop, in Austria and Germany there is a vast price difference.

The Concentration started even before WW I . For example I did a construction Job in the building which had housed the brewery that served my village and neighbouring ones.
I learned that about 1912 the heiress married the boy from the big "Linzer Bier" Brewery from the state capital. The brewery was closed and the valley served with beer from Linz, brought by train, the building became a textile mill.

I some areas like the Innviertel, which were by and large not industrialised and not crossed by major transport axes, a lot more of small breweries survived.
Other typical survival situations were when the brewery was just one enterprise of "early capitalists" - if the mill or the lumber business, even the soft drink business like in the case of "Schartner" in my area (Coke did not take over everything) brought money home, it was not necessary for the beer production to generate more than a "0" balance to survive -if someone in the family, who ran it, was interested in it.

Nowadays the bigger breweries who had survived and in Austria had built two big clusters where bought by international trusts and the small ones soldier on, if well run carried by a renewed notion for quality and pride in regional products.
And there are even some reopened small breweries and "Braugasthäuser", where the restaurant customer is drinking the fresh beer .

After the war beer was still rather hard to come by in rural upper Austria (american zone), my "Wirt" (inkeeper) had told me - he had walked home from somewhere near Prague, crossing the danube with a stolen log to cling too - and such evaded captivity - so he concentrated on his farm and renovating his inn with his own hands - still same wood banques and paneeling today - and about two years later he was able to secure beer supply through regular channels and reopened.

In the deep cellars of the "Zipfer Brauerei", near Lambach, there was a KZ outpost from Mauthausen, something with V-Waffen, if I remember right, and there was quite a nasty discussion in the 80s to make a memorial

not exactly on topic, but I hope you considered it informative

andi
"nuts"

Piotr Kapuscinski
Host - Allied sections

Post by Piotr Kapuscinski » 03 Sep 2010, 12:09

Were they drinking Lech?:

(July 1410)

"What's going on?"
"We received a present from the Grand Master"
"Danke, danke. But Master in what?"
"In war probably"

(playing war)

"But the King beats the Queen!"
"Only in Germany!"

Landser

Post by Landser » 03 Sep 2010, 16:29

[ Were they drinking Lech?:]

Sorry,but I think good ole Walesa wasn't around then.

Besides we're talking about beer,not some imitation.

Piotr Kapuscinski
Host - Allied sections

Post by Piotr Kapuscinski » 03 Sep 2010, 16:58

But they were singing: "Haben wir auch Piwo getrunken".

So probably they did. And it was actually better than Bier / beer.

Landser

Post by Landser » 03 Sep 2010, 17:53

Domen121 wrote:But they were singing: "Haben wir auch Piwo getrunken".

So probably they did. And it was actually better than Bier / beer.

That's a new one to me.I looked up for songs with this phrase in it, but in vain.
Are you starting a new polish historical myth?

PS Isn't piwo also a Chech' word.

Piotr Kapuscinski
Host - Allied sections

Post by Piotr Kapuscinski » 03 Sep 2010, 19:40

I looked up for songs with this phrase in it, but in vain.
So you are not very good in looking up for songs:

Ade, Polenland:

http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=412

"Haben wir auch Piwo getrunken".
PS Isn't piwo also a Chech' word.
No. Piwo is Polish. Pivo is Chech.

uhu

Post by uhu » 04 Sep 2010, 02:34

I couldn't get thru all the posts without popping a cool Wheat Beer, with a slice of lemon of course. After the war my parents would sew up and send CARE packages to relatives in Germany. One realative owned a small beer brewery and all he asked for were a few samples of American beer for him to put thru his little lab and examine. All he wrote my Dad was, "If I made beer like that they'd put me in jail". I first visted Germany in 1952 with parents and the first small village we stayed in the relatives would give me an empty jug, a mark, and send me to the local gasthaus to have it filled with draft beer. When I got back they'd always look at the jug's open top and say I was shortchanged. They must have known. Anyway, I was twelve years old at the time, so I guess there was no drinking age? On my last visit I asked a cousin I was drinking with if he wasn't worried about being stopped for DWI. He simply said, "Here in germany we have a saying -- Carry me to my car, I'll drive you home! If you like dark beer try a Spaten Optimator, you almost have to spoon it out its so thick. Nowadays I only drink the wheat beers as they aren't so heavy on the tummy.

Cheers,
Literally

murx

Post by murx » 18 Sep 2010, 01:52

In Germamn submarines "Becks" beer was served ("Beck's Gold"also):

Reference e.g. http://www.uk-muenchen.de/download/wien_vorkrieg.pdf

Helmut0815

Post by Helmut0815 » 19 Sep 2010, 15:30

murx wrote:In Germamn submarines "Becks" beer was served ("Beck's Gold"also)
Well, I don't know what kind of Beck's beer the uboat men drank but certainly it was not "Beck's Gold".
Beck's Gold was introduced in 2002.

Landser

Post by Landser » 10 Dec 2010, 17:01

THe former Adolf brand is now called Lech piwo!

323F

Post by 323F » 17 Dec 2010, 11:31

Don't know wich beer this is, I'm more familiar with the Belgian beers.. :wink:

Looks like DREI EFF Heil or OREI EIF Heil

ManfredV

Post by ManfredV » 17 Dec 2010, 13:49

Looks more like "Hell" - meaning "fair", "light", "clear". A kind of of mild, malty and more sweet tasting Export or Lager, about 5 - 5,5 % alcohol, which is typical for South Germany, must prefered kind of beer in Bavaria and Franconia.

323F

Post by 323F » 17 Dec 2010, 15:29

ManfredV, that's correct. Hell is a light colored German beer.
The first word is DREI, the second I can't read good.
Maybe it has something to do with the beersign above, you see also three (Drei) figures. Looks like a propeller or mixer.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”