Denmark

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
kstdk

Post by kstdk » 02 Dec 2004 00:54

Hello Guys !!

Get your proportions right here - 4 th. of may 1945 - the war was over !!

The "uprising" you are talking about must be the "general strike" in August 1943 - during the month of august there were several strikes in major danish cities - resulting in the general strike. The germans declared "state of emergency" with a line of hard rules against the danish people.

The 29 of august the danish fleet sunk its ships in the harbours or sailed the ships at sea to Sweeden. There were fights between the Naval personel and the germans, and the army resisted diferent places around the country. At the end the army, navy and police was interned and disarmed.

The resistance continued, and the sabotage actions increased from august 43 until the end of the war.

There were - though - some small incidents, or fights with german units which were "unwilling" to surrender in the first days of may 45 but it was all over within a few days.

Regards
Kurt
kstdk.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 12 Dec 2004 01:32

kdsk wrote:
But now - year 2004 - the government will try some of the cases, along with the case against SS man Søren Kam. Due to new EU laws it is now possible to have him out of Germany for court in Denmark.
I believe he's going to be charged with the murder of a journalist called Carl Henrik Clemmensen in Lyngby in 1943

Andy H

Fubbik

Post by Fubbik » 08 Jan 2005 17:46

Look at the expression on Ribbentrop´s face! Göring always called him "Ribbentrop", omitting the "von" to Ribbentrop´s annoyment.

The Danes in Jylland knocked out two German armoured cars whick caused the Germans some delay. The guns in the Köbenhavn forts were dismantled and the personnel raw and untrained recruits. Denmark is a country very hard to defend owing to the terrain.

The sad fact is, that (as in France) most people didn´t much care, or even collaborated with the Germans, but when the war was over lots and lots of them popped up and claimed to have been members of the resistance.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 08 Jan 2005 19:34

David Lampe, The Danish Resistance, Ballantine Books, New York: 1957, 179 pps.

Kralle18

Post by Kralle18 » 12 Jul 2007 22:07

To Mr. Johan Björklund

Yes, Denmark did not sacrifice much in that war but at least we fought germany.. And what did Sweden do? Not much.. You stayed out of the war, a luxury Denmark could not get... So I have a little trouble accepting your harsh critisim of Denmark. also you say that Danish resistance was very limited. Aars where i come from, is a quite small town, yet there were 6 men from Aars collecting weapons from british airdrops out on the desolate field a small way from here. They were all executed by the germans... but they managed to send hundreds of weapons to the resistance movement in Aalborg and Viborg... so do not talk down to these men and women who gave their lives so that Germany could be stopped, together with all others who died figthing Nazi Germany...

Jon G.

Post by Jon G. » 12 Jul 2007 23:06

For completeness' sake you could add that all the Jews that fled from Denmark found a safe haven in Sweden. If there had not been a benevolent neutral practically next door, then odds are that the Jews of Denmark would have fared no better than, say, the Jews of The Netherlands. Likewise the Danish brigade was equipped and trained in Sweden, by the Swedes.

Sweden pursued a policy of neutrality in WW2. That may not be particularly noble to you, applying hindsight as you do, but it sure helped keeping Sweden out of the war. And just like the public mood in Denmark gradually swung away from Germany over to the Allies, so did Sweden's external policies swing away from Germany and over to the Allies as the war went on. Denmark also pursued a policy of neutrality until April 9th. Odds are that this policy would have continued past that date if Denmark had not been occupied. There is no moral high ground to be had simply because one's country happened to be occupied during the war.

Kralle18

Post by Kralle18 » 13 Jul 2007 13:23

Absolutely right... I am just tired of people complaining in great length about how luckly Denamrk was and how we collaborated with the germans and so forth. Our governmet was a weak one at that time. They were cowards to be a little harsh. They were stupid enough to trust Hitler would keep his agreement with denmark eventhough he had just attacked Poland.

The majority of the population was not collaborating with the germans.. Unfortunatly the government hoped that by keeping the army small and ill equiped in terms of artillery, airplanes and tanks, they hoped that germany would not see us as a threat, instead we became a defenceless country.

Yes Sweden took our Jews, and yes a brigade was trained there. But that brigade couldn't have done anything anyway. The just marched in AFTER the germans surrendered... they had good intentions yes, but were insignificant in the overall outcome.. The resistance however was not...

But I might still take pride that my country fought.

Jon G.

Post by Jon G. » 13 Jul 2007 14:57

Kralle18 wrote:Absolutely right... I am just tired of people complaining in great length about how luckly Denamrk was and how we collaborated with the germans and so forth...

If you're tired of that, why then do you address posts made almost three years ago? Mr. Björklund's posts may not have been particularly well-informed, but other posters have already taken him to task for that. And like mr. Björklund, you're just stating your opinion.

If you disagree with another member's posts, do not just counter with your opinion. Your opinion alone makes nobody any smarter. Use verifiable sources, facts and figures for your posts. That will make your point come across much more strongly.

Panzer Peter

Post by Panzer Peter » 21 Nov 2007 18:05

Sweden alowed the germans to cross her borders and use her to attack Norway. Funny way of being neutral !

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 21 Nov 2007 19:21

There are a number of threads discussing the Swedish actions that helped the Germans (iron ore, trains etc), please keep this one focused on Denmark and continue discussions about Sweden in one of the other threads, thanks.

/Marcus

Panzer Peter

Post by Panzer Peter » 21 Nov 2007 21:47

Ok. We have the "football idiot" in Denmark :-( And for this we truely apologise to sweden :-)

Gregorus

Re: Denmark

Post by Gregorus » 04 Jan 2009 19:48

A little bit of information about the German attack on Denmark

The Danish force:

Ground forces:

In April 1940 the Danish Army totalled about 14.500 soldiers of which 8000 were recruits. They were divided into the Zealand Division and the Jutland Division which totalled 8; infantry, 2 cavalry and 3 artillery regiments. About 2000 men were stationed in southern Jutland.

General Command - General W. W. Prior

Air defence regiment (except 13th and 14th air defence unit)

11 artillery units consisting of:
4 light horse drawn units (of 3 x 75 mm batteries each)
4 light motorized units (of 3 x 75 mm batteries each)
3 heavy units (of staff, 1 gun battery, 2 howitzer batteries each)
3 motorized antiaircraft batteries (each battery had 4 guns)
Engineer regiment (except for the 1st and 2nd Pioneer battalion)
Staff
Signal battalion (Telegraf battalionen)
Bornholmsvaern (Bornholms Defence Force)
7 reserve companies
Army air force (Vaerlose)
Train (baggage)
Zealand Division (HQ in Copenhagen)
Life Guard (Copenhagen)
1st life guard battalion
2nd life guard battalion
3rd life guard battalion
1st Regiment (Sandholmlejr and Hoveltelejren) about 70 men
1st battalion
15th battalion
21st battalion (Hoveltelejren)
24th battalion
4th regiment - Colonel Bennike (Roskilde) 1200 men
8th battalion (Holbaek) Only staff- no soldiers
11th Battalion - Lt. Colonel Nordentoft (Roskilde)
1st light machine gun company - Kpt. Gabel-Jørgensen (Roskilde)
2nd company (Holbaek)
3rd company (Holbaek)
4th light machine gun company (Roskilde)
5th Infantry company - Kpt. Kidde (Roskilde)
17th Battalion (Praestoe) (3 companies)
28th battalion
Gun company - G. Hansen (Holbaek)
5th regiment (Vordingborg)
7th battalion
14th battalion (Slagelse)
19th battalion
25th battalion
Guards Hussar Regiment (Garde Hussar regimentet) (Naestved)
1st Field artillery regiment (Avedorelejren)
1st, artillery unit
2nd, artillery unit
6th artillery unit
2nd Field artillery regiment (Holbaek)
4th artillery unit (Ringsted)
5th artillery unit (Holbaek)
11th artillery unit (Ringsted)
12th artillery unit (Holbaek)
13th anti aircraft unit
1st Pioneer Battalion
Jutland Division - General Essemann (HQ in Viborg)
2nd Regiment - Colonel Hartz (Haderslev, Soenderborg)
3th Battalion - Lt. Colonel Elmgreen
3 companies (Soenderborg)
2 companies (Haderslev)
13th battalion (Haderslev)
18th battalion (Soenderborg)
22th battalion
Gun company - 37 mm guns (Haderslev)
3th Regiment (Viborg)
6th battalion
9th battalion
20th battalion
23rd battalion
6th Regiment (Odense)
4th cyclist battalion - Lt. Colonel Clausen (Soegaard)
company - Nielsen (Kværs)
company - Bahnsen (Lundtoft/ Lundtoftbjerg)
company - Klein (Kliplev)
company - Bartholdy (Bredevad/ Ravsted)
5th battalion
16th battalion
26th battalion
7th Regiment - Colonel H. O. Hansen (Fredericia)
2nd Battalion (Toender)
10th battalion
12th battalion (Soenderborg)
27th battalion
Jutland Dragoon regiment (Jydske dragon regiment) (Randers)
1st Horse Squadron
2nd Horse Squadron
1st Cyclist Squadron (Aarhus) Other sources states only 2 in Aarhus
2nd Cyclist Squadron (Aarhus)
3rd Cyclist Squadron (Aarhus)
Armoured Car Squadron (Aarhus) 3 armoured cars (Lynx)
3rd Field artillery regiment (Aarhus) (6 batteries)
3th artillery unit
7th artillery unit
8th artillery unit
1st battery (Haderslev) (4 x 75 mm guns)
9th artillery unit
14th Anti aircraft unit (3 air defence batteries) (mot) (Aarhus)
1 battery (Esbjerg)
1 battery (Loegumkloster)
1 battery (Roedekro)
2nd Pioneer battalion - Lt. Colonel Maare (Copenhagen)
Infantry Pioneer Command
1st Infantry pioneer battalion
2nd Infantry pioneer battalion

Marine Air force (Søværnets Flyvetropper):
13 Heinkel H.E.8 reconnaissance planes
2 Hawker Dantorp torpedo planes
8 Hawker Nimrod fighter bombers
2 De Havilland Moth (trainers)
2 Avro Tutors (trainers)
1 Dornier DO J/III Wal

Army Air force (Hærens Flyvetropper):
1st squadron (Sjællanske Flyveafdeling) 13 Gloster Gauntlet fighters
2nd squadron (Jydske Flyverafdeling) 7 Fokker D XXI fighter,
3 Fokker D V M/26 recon planes
3rd Squadron (Sjællanske Flyveafdeling) 9 Fokker C V M/33 recon, 2 I R recon
5th Squadron (Jydske Flyverafdeling) 12 Fokker C V M III R recon, 2 I R recon

Air training school:
12 Tiger Moth, 5 Fokker C I, 1 III S

The Danish fleet (vice admiral H. Rechnitzer):

The Danish fleet consisted of 2 coastal defence ships Niels Juel, Peder Skram,

6 torpedo boats (Laxen, Hvalen, Glenten, Høgen, Dragen, Hoegen),
7 submarines, 3 mine layers, 9 mine sweepers and 4 inspection ships.

All except the submarines were rather old.
The defence of the coast was under the command of the Danish Navy and was composed of 8 fortresses and about 100 guns.
Dicere est argentym, tacere aurum

maser11

Post by maser11 » 10 May 2009 02:16

Hi guys,

I found it very interesting to read this thread - especially with the heated discussions! For me it is funny because I am from Ireland. I have always been ashamed of Ireland's lack of involvement in WWII and compared to us, you shouldn't feel bad!

I didn't know much about Denmark's history until only recently but I have some questions for anyone that can answer?

In Copenhagen, or Zealand in general, during the early occupation, 1940-41, did life carry on as normal? What I mean is, how visible to the average Dane was Germany's presence? Was it like in movies, were there checkpoints and papers being checked? Or was it more relaxed, like life was normal except every now and then a truck would go by with a group of German soldiers on board? If you follow me?!

I relate this to some reading about the Danish Jews who were smuggled out to Sweden and places. Would the Jewish people have had to 'sneak' about and hide, or could they travel around freely? And I suppose that goes for any others who were persecuted at that time?

Well, there you go!! Thanks.

Vitesse

Post by Vitesse » 11 May 2009 01:03

In English-language markets outside the USA, David Lampe's book was published under the title "The Savage Canary". Hardback by Cassell, paperback by Corgi.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”