What kind of cigarettes (brand) did the soldiers smoke?

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
HaEn
In memoriam

cigs

Post by HaEn » 26 Jan 2005, 06:42

Yes I did smoke Jan Maats, and everything else that had tobacco or its look alike :wink: in it. At 17, smoking was "manly"; the first I almost choked on. thereafter it went better till I got hooked. We also rolled out own with "shag" fine cut tobacco, and left over cigarette butts we saved.
The paper was rice paper, and sometimes a little hard to come by. So we used the pages of pocket new testaments, which were printed on rice paper. Speaking of holy rollers :)
It was not till 1968 that I got smart enough to quit. :(
Oh those good old times :P :lol:
HN

knieptang
Banned

Post by knieptang » 29 Jan 2005, 02:55

A Eckstein sign from the 1930s, in Germany a collectors item, expensive...

Source: http://www.emailleschilder.org/angebot/angebot.htm

These enameled signs from the 1910/1920/1930s and before are very high valued in Germany, some of these very seldom Emailleschilder are sold for more than 50.000,-€, depending on the rareness of these signs, some of them far to expensive for an ordinary collector

Besides militaria, I collect the so called Alte Reklame for many years, I will look for some pictures from my own collection...

Regards Michael

Arminiusder Cherusker1

Cigarettes

Post by Arminiusder Cherusker1 » 29 Jan 2005, 20:31

Hi,
one of the best cigarettes during WW II was the famous Attikah.
A difference between this cigarettes and those who were selled after WW II was the taste.
The "War-Cigarettes" tasted like orient (the tobacco mostly came from Bulgaria and Egypt) while the cigarettes after wartime tasted american, I mean they were stronger and more flavored.
/Rudi

Landser

Post by Landser » 29 Jan 2005, 22:26

I did not smoke during the war years but I remember the most popular brand was "Mokri".

knieptang
Banned

Post by knieptang » 30 Jan 2005, 02:51

one of the best cigarettes during WW II was the famous Attikah
Just to correct this, the name of the brand was Atikah

Source: http://www.emailleschilder.com/tabak2.htm

Regards Michael

Fubbik

Post by Fubbik » 30 Jan 2005, 14:57

I know from a photorgaph in the Signal magazine, that "Privat" was issued to the troops en masse.

Conacher1941

Post by Conacher1941 » 01 Feb 2005, 01:35

Landser wrote:I did not smoke during the war years but I remember the most popular brand was "Mokri".
The most popular brand for whom, Landser?

Regards,
...Conacher

Harri

Post by Harri » 01 Feb 2005, 02:26

In Finnish Army the daily "cigarett portion" was three and nothing less!! Additionally everyone could buy two cigarett boxes a week. Fortunately those who didn't smoke could sell their portions to those who needed more than that.

Soviet radio propaganda (these women voices or "Tiltu"s as they were called by the Finnish soldiers) claimed that in the Finnish Army Privates must smoke "Työmies" [Worker or Working Man] cigaretts while "big shots" smoked only "Kultaleima" [Gold Label]. Actually "Worker" was the best Finnish tobacco and "Gold Label" was one of the worst brands. The names are sometimes misleading even for the propagandists. But Finnish soldiers had fun for sure. :lol:

German brands were used in Finland too because there were German soldiers. I think "Juno" was the best known brand. Soviet "brands" were not popular for obvious reasons... :lol:

What about other brands? I think I have red or heard that also brands like "Gitanes" (or something similar) and "Camel" would have been sold in Europe during the war?

Landser

Post by Landser » 01 Feb 2005, 02:57

Conacher1941 wrote:
Landser wrote:I did not smoke during the war years but I remember the most popular brand was "Mokri".

Regards,
...Conacher
That's a loaded one.

Not for minors I should think,but for people with stamps if they could get a hold of 'em.

lukeo

Post by lukeo » 01 Feb 2005, 11:15

I heard, that the high rank SS oficers were smoking Egyptian "Simons".

Conacher1941

Post by Conacher1941 » 01 Feb 2005, 21:25

Landser wrote:
Conacher1941 wrote:

Regards,
...Conacher
That's a loaded one.

Not for minors I should think,but for people with stamps if they could get a hold of 'em.
:D No, no...I mean for which country?

Evzonas

Post by Evzonas » 16 Mar 2005, 00:06

knieptang wrote:
one of the best cigarettes during WW II was the famous Attikah
Just to correct this, the name of the brand was Atikah

Source: http://www.emailleschilder.com/tabak2.htm

Regards Michael
Can it be that Atikah comes from Attika lile the one in Greece? (Attika is the wide area around Athens so to speak)?????????
In that case (I'm as ironic as I can be here) can these cigarettes be made out of "stolen" quantities of Greek tobacco???

Landser

Post by Landser » 16 Mar 2005, 00:51

Evzonas wrote:
Can it be that Atikah comes from Attika lile the one in Greece? (Attika is the wide area around Athens so to speak)?????????
In that case (I'm as ironic as I can be here) can these cigarettes be made out of "stolen" quantities of Greek tobacco???
Sorry to destroy your illusion,I don't think it had much with Greece in common.It existed since 1889 and prided herself being of superior Tuerkish blend.
First time I hear Greece had anything but antics and olives to offer.
:D

Quote from an almanac:
1889 wurde die ATIKAH im Gründungsjahr der Dresdner Cigarettenfabrik Delta eingeführt. "Echt türkisch" pries die Packungsaufschrift die neue Cigarette
There goes the chance to sue for compensation?????

Evzonas

Post by Evzonas » 16 Mar 2005, 09:20

Landser wrote:Evzonas wrote:
Sorry to destroy your illusion,I don't think it had much with Greece in common.It existed since 1889 and prided herself being of superior Tuerkish blend.
First time I hear Greece had anything but antics and olives to offer.
:D

Quote from an almanac:
1889 wurde die ATIKAH im Gründungsjahr der Dresdner Cigarettenfabrik Delta eingeführt. "Echt türkisch" pries die Packungsaufschrift die neue Cigarette
There goes the chance to sue for compensation?????
I see... the name seemed somehow familiar. And believe me, it has nothing to do with illusiuons.. it is quite obvious to anyone who has the smallest knowledge of facts about occupation that Germans luted all natural resources from any country they occupied in order to supply Fatherland.
Stripping Greece out of its natural resources means that Tobacco, Olives and olive oil, grain, corn, boxite, manganese etc where massively transfered to Germany as part of occupation "fees" :|

Also, you should know Greece doens't produce antiquities it simply has them anywhere you turn your head as a result of its h i s t o r y ........
You should also know that one of the major crops in Greece is tobacco but i quess having a look at a geopolitical map might be too hard for some...

Oh and btw, Turkish blend doesn't nessesarily mean actual Turkish tobacco!!!

Landser

Post by Landser » 16 Mar 2005, 13:58

Evzonas wrote:

Oh and btw, Turkish blend doesn't nessesarily mean actual Turkish tobacco!!!
You mean to tell us Greece could not afford their own blend so they "stole' it fom the Tuerks. :D

PS Those bad,bad Atikah Germans "stole' then your Tuerkish blend tobacco since 1889?????

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”