Heroic acts

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Rommel

Heroic acts

Post by Rommel » 27 Mar 2002, 17:31

I do not know if this is the appropiate palce for this topic but I guess Marcus can move it at any time...so does any of you can relate something on the heroism of a soldier, unit , army, belonging to the Axis or the Allies in ww2

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 27 Mar 2002, 21:54

This is probably not what you're looking for in terms of heroics, but when my grandfather was sitting on watch, a moose suddenly appeared on the roof of a korsu nearby. He promptly shot the animal and his squadmates had no qualms about calling him a hero after they had tasted the delicious meat. :)

~Henric Edwards

Rommel

Post by Rommel » 27 Mar 2002, 22:58

very enchanting indeed :lol:

Antti V

Post by Antti V » 28 Mar 2002, 21:57

I´m still laughing for that story! Funniest story what I ever have heard or readed from WW2 era :lol:

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 28 Mar 2002, 22:54

:):):)

Rommel

Post by Rommel » 29 Mar 2002, 03:42

anything else...it is both amusing and interesting

Angelo

Heroism

Post by Angelo » 29 Mar 2002, 08:05

Here's hoping your grandfather told you more heroic deeds....he surely was a man of wit!

Simply great :D :D

Angelo

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 29 Mar 2002, 15:06

Angelo,

You can read some more of his stories on my website located here: http://www.finnishwar.cjb.net

You can find some pictures and stories under the link 'Kauko Huttunen' in the menu. :)

~Henric Edwards

Angelo

Heroic facts

Post by Angelo » 30 Mar 2002, 04:26

Thanks Henric!

Soon as I'm done answering a few posts, I'll go check it. :)

Angelo

Antti V

Post by Antti V » 30 Mar 2002, 17:29

Here is one heroic true story and humouristic drawing about it:

In February 1940 at Summa front Soviets attacked with 9 tanks against Finnish lines. Finns succeeded to destroy 8 tanks with shatchel charges(sp) and Molotov´s coctails but one of these tanks managed to survive into Finnish back.
Corporal Einar Schandewitz saw situation and grabbed two kilos shatchel charge and climb top of that tank. There was just one problem: he wasn´t sure which would be best way to destory this tanks and then he got an idea. He started to knock tank´s hatch and he yelled in Finnish, Savo dialect: "Avvoo iivana, tiällä kuolema kolokuttaa" ("Open ivan, this is death knocking"). Maybe crew member of tank did think that it was someone of their own troops who was yelling (it was quite noisy situation, engine´s noises and gun firing etc.) and opened the hatch. Immediatelly when this happened, Einar dropped charge into tank and jumped off tank. Huge explosion was heard and last tank was destroyed.

Einar got later Mannerheim´s Cross during Continuation War due his heroism, so he was real hero.

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 30 Mar 2002, 19:38

Reminds me of a story about how to sink a Norweigian submarine. :)

~Henric Edwards

Antti V

Post by Antti V » 30 Mar 2002, 21:10

Henric Edwards wrote:Reminds me of a story about how to sink a Norweigian submarine. :)
Or Swedish :roll: :lol:

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 30 Mar 2002, 21:13

Hey watch it! ;)

~Henric Edwards

Angelo

Heroic Facts: KAUKU HUTTUNEN

Post by Angelo » 01 Apr 2002, 03:23

Henric,

I'm just back from your site and I read all about KAUKU HUTTUNEN.

What am I supposed to say after meeting such a living legend ?

I smiled, laughed and had a knot in my throat, and all was so natural, so true-to-life I wondered whether I was in 2002 or I had been teleported to 1940's Finnland.

The closing by Mr. Huttunen's grandson is not only the best tribute he could get, but an invitation to all people to read about a man whose greatest glory was giving his best for his Country, with modesty, simplicity, prolonged readiness and NO SIGN of hatred! God bless him!
If you ever meet him again, tell him that his virtues made it way down to Italy and that, regardless of distance and time, my wife and I are only sorry we can't meet him and shake his hand.

Thanks a lot Henric. I'll go back to your site one of these days to view the rest of it. :)
Meanwhile, just let me join in and recommend it to all those who still privilege humanity over hatred, even in war.

Please go and check, among other pages, this one at Henric's site:
http://www30.brinkster.com/huttunen/

Angelo

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 01 Apr 2002, 04:29

Angelo,

I can't thank you enough for those very kind words, you have no idea how much they mean to me and my grandfather. I will call him up in the morning and quote the above post to him and I know that it will indeed make the day, not only for him, but for his wonderful wife Sirkka as well.

I will probably meet him in person next week, and we have a grand adventure planned for the summer, namely his last visit to his lost hometown of Vyborg, now located in Russia. I'm sure it will be a very emotional trip for all of us, but I will make sure to document it on video and with pictures, and upload it all to my website.

Once again; a heartfelt thank you Angelo. I wish you and your family the very best.

~Henric Edwards

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”