POW camps in Illinois?

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Otto Krienert

POW camps in Illinois?

Post by Otto Krienert » 07 Sep 2002 04:11

Hello,

I obiusly live in america, in southern IL. One of my teachers gave me a tip on a project for a class, something about a WWII German POW camp in Pamona IL. Just about 30 min from my home. Any help on the subject?!? Or where i could dig up some info on it?!?! Thanks!

Otto

Durand

Post by Durand » 07 Sep 2002 13:35

Hallo O.K.,

If you look at http://www.indianamilitary.org you will find a list of POW camps in the USA during WW II. The list reflects 3 camps in Illinois: Camp Ellis, Camp Grant, and Ft. Sheridan. Camp Ellis was located in Fulton Co. in west central Illinois. Camp Grant was located up near Rockford. Ft. Sheridan was up near Chicago. Ft. Sheridan was the administrative center for POW camps in Illinois and Wisconsin.

It is possible that the 3 camps were main camps and that there may have been satellite camps in places such as Pamona. There are several things you can do to find information about Pamona:

- Trying contacting the local town hall or munincipal center. Someone there can probably direct you to a local historical society or there may be an official or "unofficial" town historian.

- Check with the local newspaper to see if they have an archive going back to the 1940s. There may also be a reporter on staff who specializes in area history.

- Try contacting the Fort Sheridan Museum. The address is Fort Sheridan Museum, building 33, Fort Sheridan, Ill, 60037.

- Since Pamona is in southern Illinois, try contacting the history department at Southern Illinois University.

- You might also have some luck posting on the forum at http://www.kriegsgefangen.de

Good Luck and Happy Hunting

J.D.

Otto Krienert

wow..

Post by Otto Krienert » 07 Sep 2002 17:33

Wow, durand thanks for the help so much. I really apreciate it. Im gona start looking today!

Otto Krienert

?

Post by Otto Krienert » 07 Sep 2002 17:42

Hey, im having a little trouble finding the info about Illinois POW camps on the "indiana" website....Could you guide me where exactly to look? Sorry for the inconvience. Thanks again! Otto :mrgreen:

Durand

Post by Durand » 07 Sep 2002 22:46

Hallo O.K.,

Kein Problem, Otto. You are not going to find much on Illinois on the site, but there is a list of the major POW camps that existed in the USA and the sites in Illinois are on that list. Once you are on the home page of the site, look at the list on the left side of the screen. Select Italian & German POWs. When the new menu comes up, select POW Labor. When the new menu comes up select Facts and figures and there you will find the list.

If you read through the articles on the site, you will find names of people you may be able to contact for more information and there is an address through which you can contact the webmaster of the site who may also be able to help you in your search. While the website is not specifically dedicated to the Illinois camps, it does provide a good thumbnail description (including photos and sketches) of what life was like for the German POWs interned at the camps in the Midwest.

I hope this helps.

J.D.

P.S. When you finish your project, perhaps you can share your findings here on forum?

Logan Hartke

Post by Logan Hartke » 07 Sep 2002 23:04

Otto, where in S. Illinois do you live? I am currently near Chicago for school, but I live about 20 min. S. of Carlinville. Do you know where that is? If you know where Staunton is, then you know almost exactly where I am.

Logan Hartke

Otto Krienert

Post by Otto Krienert » 08 Sep 2002 06:29

heh :D a little more south than that. Im from Murphysboro. % min from Carbondale IL, That ring a bell for you? Thanks everyone for the help!

Logan Hartke

Post by Logan Hartke » 08 Sep 2002 23:09

It does indeed. Thank you.

Logan Hartke

Lennonjwx

POW camps in Illinois

Post by Lennonjwx » 18 Sep 2002 03:26

I live in Springfield, Illinois there is a National Cemetary "Camp Butler" here it contains maybe 20 graves of German POWs...... always thought it would be nice to try and find relatives of those buried here, if they didn't know, let me know if someone would like a list of their names.... larry

POW
Banned

Re: POW camps in Illinois

Post by POW » 19 Sep 2002 06:59

Lennonjwx wrote:I live in Springfield, Illinois there is a National Cemetary "Camp Butler" here it contains maybe 20 graves of German POWs...... always thought it would be nice to try and find relatives of those buried here, if they didn't know, let me know if someone would like a list of their names.... larry
I would like to get a list of their names. A photo of the cemetery would be wonderful also.
Thanks in advance

DRKstl

Re: POW camps in Illinois?

Post by DRKstl » 25 Oct 2011 04:12

i didnt know that there were pow camps in the states. at a small and i mean small event i went to in early September one of the guys said that Jefferson Barracks, in Missouri (where we were at ) was a pow camp, i asked him how he knew, said he saw it online, of course i didn't ask him where online, thinking i could find it but haven't been able to. I don't understand, why bring them all the way over here? was taking them so far away from home suppose to make it worse for them?
Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 26 Oct 2011 00:27

DRKstl wrote:....
I don't understand, why bring them all the way over here? was taking them so far away from home suppose to make it worse for them?
It was difficult to feed, house & clothe them in Europe. Britian had to ration food and clothing from the start. Material for barracks was rare as well. It was much the same in Africa. It made more sense for the British to remove the prisoners from the UK, Egypt, or Tunisia to North America. In the early years they were sent to Canada. After the US was at war with Germany most prisoners were sent there.

In many ways it was better for them. Food was pleantifull, the climate healthier than in Africa. In North American many were given parole to work on farms or in factories. Also they were safer. Some Europeans like the French wanted revenge & treated the prisoners in their hands badly.

The prison camps were usually located near existing US Military bases, or near large prisons. Administrators and training for guards could be drawn from the Federal prisons and army camps.

In 1945 the transport of prisoners to North America came to a halt. Most remained in Europe, and then moved back to Germany after the fighting ceased. Those in North America were returned to German & Italy in 1945 & 1946. Some applied to stay in the US or Canada as immigrants & others did so after they were returned to Europe. Many of those had relatives in North America, others were sposored by their former employers here.

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 26 Oct 2011 00:32

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 26 Oct 2011 00:33

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 26 Oct 2011 00:33