Nazi Super-Babies

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
jv
In memoriam

Lebensborn homes

Post by jv » 20 Aug 2005, 06:14

Marcus Wendel wrote:The Lebensborn homes were no "breeding farms".

/Marcus
Historians agree that the Lebensborn homes were no "baby factories". That this was still a wildly held view though shows this cover of Marc Hillel's book which I recently posted in response to a question in another section. This is the 1975 English paperback version of Au nom de la race. I can strongly recommend Marc Hillel's book (in French) as still being an authoritative publication on the SS Lebensborn. jv
Attachments
cover_uk.jpg
cover_uk.jpg (31.3 KiB) Viewed 1465 times

michael mills

Post by michael mills » 21 Aug 2005, 04:04

Any popular history that has the word "shocking" anywhere on its front page can safely be discarded as designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator of educational level.

Such terms are redolent of headlines in women's magazines about the doings of members of the entertainment industry and similar disreputable types.

Kree

Hillel's Book

Post by Kree » 01 Dec 2005, 05:49

While I agree that this book was hyped in the time it was written, it does offer a candid glimpe into the whole Lebensborn program. The reader, however, must avoid the obvious sujections of the authors in order to gain any real insight.

Regardless of how 'glamourous' or 'propagandized' a book may be, there is no denying those that have solid research with primary documents as well as those which hold personal acocunts.

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 03 Jun 2006, 05:52

At the risk of resurrecting some of the more spurious ideas on the topic (interpretations of the Lebensborn as "breeding farms"), not to mention the ever-present material "artefacts" (enamel "Lebensborn" pins ill-produced completely from the modern imagination, "Lebensborn" armbands, authentic DRK identity documents overstamped with modern "Lebensborn" stamps).....

I submit one of the few pieces I've ever seen that I'd recognise as a genuine artifact and comment on the subject.

Quite an eloquent, and important, document, in its own small way.

http://marhistorical.com/info.php3?sess ... osnr=16208

~FV

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”